Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Video of Exhaust system I'm Considering

Here is a Video of an Exhaust I'm thinking about for My 550I. This is on a 535I but sound will probably be similar I guess perhaps a bit louder. Sounds kind of mean but I wonder if I would tire of hearing this everyday. Also I wonder how much of this actually makes it into the cabin. Main Reason I want to get it is they offer the whole exhaust in Titanium which would be huge for my weight reduction goals. Wish I new how to make the video play here on the thread sorry. What do y'all think?

Advertisement
Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M5, 08 E93 M3, F430
would probably sound a little more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/eisenhaus#p/a/u/0/GPEGGtZ4_GY

go for it!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM

That one is more subdued and I actually like that one better. But I dont think it has the Cat-Back Mid X-Pipe which replaces the stock dummy resonator and I think thats why the other sounds a little more raw. I would get this for the full benefit of the weight loss. thanks for the video though it sure sounds nice on that X5M
Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Sounds good, it will make a nice match to that Dinan tune if you like to let people know that it's no ordinary F10. The problem is that the law will take notice as well...even with the M package the F10 looks more like a gentleman's cruiser and will mostly go unnoticed by the law but not with that sound.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: Waiting for new X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
What do y'all think?
Don't do it! Leave that for the teenagers in their Honda Civics with the tin can at the end of the exhaust pipe. The exhaust droning gets very tiresome after a while and you'll be sorry you did it. Now, if you are under 25 and you haven't done all this stuff before, then by all means go for it.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 PM

Funny you should mention it I turned 26 1 month ago so I've got that excuse. I have a track car that has just a 3.5" straight pipe from the exhaust manifold back on a turbo Inline 6 I happen to love the sound even though its about 10 times louder than what on the video but I drive it for a short period of time only and its also completely stripped inside only one seat and no carpet or sound deading material pure metal and me! I dont want something that extreme just a little more powerful and much lighter. Yeah Solstice i will definitely be getting the Dinan and eventually an Intake from Dinan as well so it will not be much of a sleeper but I'll deal with that. I'd wish they would have recorded what it sounded like inside the cabin.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I for one hope you go for it even if it doesn't make all that much sense to me, but hey most really fun things aren't sensible anyway. I'm selfishly curious to see what you will do to transform this heavy, soft and numb beast. Please keep us informed.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Don't do it! Leave that for the teenagers in their Honda Civics with the tin can at the end of the exhaust pipe. The exhaust droning gets very tiresome after a while and you'll be sorry you did it. Now, if you are under 25 and you haven't done all this stuff before, then by all means go for it.
+1
IMHO if I wanted that I would have gone for the 335 instead of the 535, I think this looks ridiculous on a luxury cruiser such as this gents car. Not trying to offend, just my 2cents.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Kinda sounds like sh** IMO. Little disclaimer though: I'm kind of boring, in that I'm extremely, and almost exclusively partial to thunderous V8 tones.

Aside from that, unless the car is heavily modded (enough), to coincide with that sound.... That type of sound coming from an F10's butt, will just declass such an elegant car, IMO.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I have a modded exhaust on my Volvo. While it sounds good, isn't too loud and attracts zero attention unless you're ripping into it, after living with it for a couple of years, it's getting tiring. It's JUST loud enough so that when you're in the car with multiple people, you notice every time you get on the gas. And this isn't a 3" turbo back or anything like that, I still have the stock rear muffler and pipes, but a removed center resonator and a 3" Downpipe.

At this point, I'm pretty over the modded exhaust thing.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I used to have a Mustang GT with NO mufflers at all. There wasn't a loud enough exhaust system that could please me.

Got it out of my system as well, for the most part. If I have something that is meant to be a non comfortable, rarely driven vehicle, then I'll gladly uncork it again though.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
jimefam,

I am sure this may have already crossed your mind, but I will mention it anyway. Knowing that you want to improve performance by reducing the vehicle's sprung and unsprung weight, lowering and stiffening the suspension, and possibly some other mods, clearly you are looking for a higher performance and more sporty vehicle and are willing to spend the money to make the modifications. This leads me to believe that if the M5 were available now you would get it instead. (I would, and probably will flip my F10 when the M5 comes out). So, what if you drove your new F10 pretty much stock and save the money that you would have spent on your F10 until the the M5 comes out, then spring for it. You will never be able to recuperate your investment in modding your F10. In fact, it may actually lower the value, given the general market for this vehicle.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 PM

My wife tells me the same thing! She is killing me cause the installed price for this exhaust is 7K and with all the other things I'm looking at I'm close to 15k already. It really does make sense when you factor in the ED savings I received on my current F10 and future ED savings for the M5. What I tell her and I know it sounds childish but I guess its cause I'm young but I don't want to buy the car already modded. Looking for the parts and being a part of the process is most of the fun for me, also customizing my car as opposed having just another M5. Considering the probable 25k premium for the M5 I'll spend the same amount eventually and have a M5 killer in a straight line and a probable draw on a track(this car is not really a track car anyway). As for resale I dont care about that too much as I will hold on to this car for a long time. I have a 240sx that was my first car in high school and have done a ton of things to it and its almost as modded as I care to make it. When I get tired of it and want a new daily driver I will sell the 240 or part it out and make the F10 the project car. I may not be able to do as much as I hope to this car as my experience with customizing is with much more tuner friendly cars(my 240 and a friends 800hp supra) but I'm having many crazy ideas that I don't know if there possible(I'm dying to find out the composition and weight of the driveshaft) its enjoyable for me.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Jimefam,

I can totally relate to the hobbyist side of it, and the enjoyment that goes into doing what you are considering. There is no real argument against that...Except...What if you start with the M5 and mod it for even further results. Although no one knows exactly what the M5 will bring, I was recently speaking with one of the "M" product managers from Germany at an "M" event in the US and he eluded to some pretty sophisticated weight reduction measures that we can expect in the F10 M5, like extensive use of advanced alloys, aluminum and carbon fiber in the body structure of the vehicle. These are things that cannot be duplicated after the fact. The engine and drivetrain will also be built for much intense use, so modding this vehicle will result in a much higher performance and reliable end product.

Whatever you decide, have fun and keep us posted!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
My wife tells me the same thing! She is killing me cause the installed price for this exhaust is 7K and with all the other things I'm looking at I'm close to 15k already. It really does make sense when you factor in the ED savings I received on my current F10 and future ED savings for the M5. What I tell her and I know it sounds childish but I guess its cause I'm young but I don't want to buy the car already modded. Looking for the parts and being a part of the process is most of the fun for me, also customizing my car as opposed having just another M5. Considering the probable 25k premium for the M5 I'll spend the same amount eventually and have a M5 killer in a straight line and a probable draw on a track(this car is not really a track car anyway). As for resale I dont care about that too much as I will hold on to this car for a long time. I have a 240sx that was my first car in high school and have done a ton of things to it and its almost as modded as I care to make it. When I get tired of it and want a new daily driver I will sell the 240 or part it out and make the F10 the project car. I may not be able to do as much as I hope to this car as my experience with customizing is with much more tuner friendly cars(my 240 and a friends 800hp supra) but I'm having many crazy ideas that I don't know if there possible(I'm dying to find out the composition and weight of the driveshaft) its enjoyable for me.
If I were in your situation, I would wait for the M5. However, whichever way you go, kudos to you. I wish I had the dough right now to mod my F10!
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Well I already purchased the 550i though, perhaps that wasn't clear from my first post. I could take the hit in two years when the M5 comes out and sell my 550i but really I don't think that is gonna happen as I don't see me leaving this car bone stock for two years. I'm waiting for it to get back to me (November ED) and will put the Dinan tune on almost immediately and hopefully by then a few more things will be out. As for the M5 I was told it was gonna have a carbon fiber roof and many other things which your right would be impossible to replicate but the end result may be similar. They will never be as extreme as I'm willing to go and so I view the car as a sort of half measure. For example that exhaust I'm considering above would never be placed on an M5 as it's too extreme and even though it is much less restrictive and lighter than whatever they put on it's just not something a car maker would make a profit on(see most replies above) same with all other bolt on's or even the tune they have too be careful not to go overboard. By the time I'm done with it it may very well be quite uncivilized for daily use but then it will be time to retire to the garage and buy a new daily driver(probably 3 or 4 years). One thing it will absolutely make sure I do is keep the board updated, I've seen a few people online who have gotten the Dinan or Hartage tunes and no before and after dyno? That would never cross my mind! I'm dying to see what the difference will be and will do my best to post that and before and after 1/4 miles times and all that.