Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 01 525i; '02 530i
Question about replacing lower radiator hose

Has anyone ever successfully replaced the lower radiator hose without removing the fan shroud - it seems like there is enough room, but our friends at BMW didn't make that one easy. The radiator and expansion tank appear to have been replaced, but I have a leak coming from the coolant sensor which is likely just the o-ring...decided to replace the hose, sensor and o-ring. Thought I would ask before ruining a perfectly good weekend with a more extensive repair. Previous owner did some cooling system repair, just not sure how far they went. Thanks for any advice!
Ads by Google
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Search forum using keyword "bluebee cooling overhaul" and literally one hundred DIYs will be listed for you.
All you need is Coke and popcorn to read through them.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
literally one hundred DIYs will be listed for you.
Cam's right.

Go to the first link in this forum, the bestlinks thread, and do a browser "find" (control f) for "cooling" and then hit the keyboard "next" button (F3) to scroll through all the hits.

When you find a hit you like, then press the "return" (Enter) key to open that link up on your browser.

Specifically, take a look here for the o-ring:
- How to get the o-ring for the lower hose aux fan temperature switch

And, make sure you look here for the trick to remove the hoses:
- How to remove the upper & lower hoses without damaging the radiator

Personally, I removed the fan shroud before tackling the lower hose:
- Removal instructions for the fan shroud of a 2002 525i

But, I would think you can get under the engine and unclip the lower hose from the radiator; and from above, unclip the lower hose from the thermostat housing ... both without removing the fan shroud, radiator, and expansion tank.

It will just be a lot harder to do because you'll have much less room than we had; but you save the effort of removing the shroud, so, it should be a wash in effort.

Here is a shot of me unclipping the lower hose (after disconnecting the aux fan thermoswitch):

Here I pry the lower hose off the old radiator using the twisting-screwdriver method:

Here, I have pried the u-shaped lock off the upper portion of that lower radiator hose and am using the successively larger screwdriver method to prise it away from the old thermostat housing.

And, here is my lower radiator hose popped free from the thermostat housing.

Realize you won't have anywhere near that much room if you don't first remove the fan shroud, fan, and expansion tank - but then you won't have to go to all that effort either - so it might just be a wash on effort.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0319.JPG
Views:	1359
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	258719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0320.JPG
Views:	1440
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	258720   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0313.JPG
Views:	1334
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	258721   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0312.JPG
Views:	1382
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	258722  

Last edited by bluebee; 12-16-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 01 525i; '02 530i
Hey guys - well, taking off the shroud would have helped, but I was able to successfully change both upper and lower hoses with the shroud in place. Upper hose was a cinch; but lower - especially the lower end with the temp sensor was a challenge without the extra room. I removed th retaining clip completely and then used steady pressure with one hand reaching in the engine compartment and the other hand under the front end to stabilize the radiator. Fortunately the radiator had been replaced by the former owner so no cracked hose mounts....gotta wonder why they didn't replace the coolant sensor and o-ring, the old one was white and barely filled the space to make the seal. I lost about half a gallon of coolant, just topped it off the temp gauge is reading 12 o'clock straight up and down! Thank you for the great posts and info - really helped my confidence!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd View Post
Hey guys - well, taking off the shroud would have helped, but I was able to successfully change both upper and lower hoses with the shroud in place
The upper hose is a cinch, but it's good to know that the lower hose CAN be replaced w/o removing the fan shroud (which is a pain in itself).

Of course, that made the removal of the lower hose a pain also, but, the good news is we all now know it can be done.

Snap some pics next time so we all benefit.

Thanks for closing the loop as a lot of people forget that courtesy.

Good luck,
BB
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
I got the lower radiator hose out without removing anything. Now getting it back on is a different story from what i tried to do I think it can be installed with just removing the fan. What do you guys think?

1970 Morris Cooper S * 2008 BMW 135i Coupe * 2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet * 2003 BMW 525i Touring