Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 PM
wannabe DIY'er

Mein Auto: '98 BMW 540iA (born 9/97)
Holiday priced Diagnostic scanners with features

So, it's holiday season and I know there must be some good deals on diagnostic scanners that have some good features. I've seen some of the super basic scanners that are dirt cheap ($25) that read diagnostic trouble codes and clear them and that's cool and certainly worth the low price. However, I'd be more interested in getting something that reads live data in addition to the basics, and freeze frame at a minimum. And I'd like to find some deals on these (not interested in spending hundreds of dollars).
So, I did a little searching and found 3 low priced handhelds that have some more advanced features:

Actron CP9180 AutoScanner Plus Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability and O2 Monitor Test for OBDII Vehicles

Product Features
Bilingual diagnostic code scanner easily retrieves trouble codes from your vehicle's computer to diagnose problems
Compatible with all OBD II-compliant vehicles from 1996 to the present
Large easy-to-read LCD screen displays DTCs and their descriptions
Fully updateable via the Internet, so it will work with future vehicle models
TrueLink Technology assures a fast and accurate diagnostic output

List Price: $282.99
Price: $106.21 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability for OBDII Vehicles

Product Features
Retrieves diagnostic trouble codes and definitions (in English, Spanish, or French) from your vehicle's computer to help diagnose problems
Reads check engine light warnings on 1996 and newer vehicles through any OBDII protocol, including CAN (Controller Area Network)
Views, records, and plays back live data as well as freeze frame data
Features built-in memory to store codes, even when reader is unplugged
Unique patented all-in-one screen display and LED display

List Price: $346.80
Price: $126.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

Autel MaxiScan MS409 OBD-II/EOBD Scanner

Product Features
Retrieves generic and manufacturer specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC), features built-in OBD-II DTC lookup library and software is upgradeable via Internet
Features large easy-to-read backlit LCD screen, a multilingual menu and DTC definitions and memory/battery backup for off-vehicle data review and analysis
Views freeze frame data, displays monitor and I/M readiness status, turns off Check Engine Light (MIL); clears codes and resets monitors
Supports the CAN (Controller Area Network) protols and all other current OBD-II protocols
Works with all OBD-II/EOBD compliant U.S., European and Asian vehicles (OBD-II is standard on all cars sold in U.S. post-1996)

List Price: $114.99
Price: $58.64 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

I found these 3 tools on Amazon and these are truly low prices for what they claim to be capable of, with free shipping!
The Actron CP9180 seems to be the best deal for what I am looking for (live data and O2 monitor test as well as all the other basic functions) for just over $100 and free shipping. But the Innova is only $20 more and has all of this also (and I recognize the brand and have used their less powerful handheld at O'Reilley Auto many times). The Autel has freeze frame but not live but is extremely inexpensive at less than $60.

Anybody seen any other great deals on diagnostic tools with extra features such as these?

Anyone use(d) either of the above or another one and willing to provide some personal feedback on them?

Thanks for any other "leads" on holiday special pricing and also on any "reviews" you folks may provide. :buttrock

LaCrosse, I hope you don't mind I quoted your post from the cheap scanner thread here because this find is better than the 3 that I have above!!!! Live data readouts for $50.... NICE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
Toptak makes an OBDII scanner that reads live data.

This would make diagnosing lean/rich codes a lot easier, if you know what to look for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEDWX:IT

The extra 20-30 dollars is worth it if you ask me.

Last edited by 98540iA; 12-16-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Ads by Google