Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: F07 - 550xi GT (luv)
Manual Transmission Options for 535i XDrive GT?

Forgive me if any of my terminology is off, its been a while since I've posted on here.

I previously owned a manual transmission E60 (2004 535i) and am very interested in purchasing a new 535i XDrive GT (F07). The latest snowfall in my area has convinced me that I would benefit from the XDrive, or at least prompted me to take a look.

After reading some of the posts on the F10 forum, it looks like manual transmission is only available for RWD models, and not XDrive. Is this the same for the F07, or can I get a manual 535i XDrive?

I may do another European Delivery, but I am not sure if that matters at all.

I initially assumed the transmission options were the same for both F07 and F10, but then I saw this manual transmission GT with XDrive -> http://tinyurl.com/2efr8eb

One other noob question:
Is the terminology "535xi" the same as saying "535i XDrive"?
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
My understanding is that manual transmission is not available on the GT, regardless of RWD or xDrive. It wasn't an option when I spec'd mine.

Euro Delivery delivers cars for the destination market, so European options aren't available for US-bound cars.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Seriously? Not even for RWD GTs?

Now I am distraught. This may be a deal breaker for me.

90%+ of German-bought BMWs are manual transmission.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
The 5er GT does not exist in MT form anywhere in the world. Dealer descriptions are rarely accurate.

For the US, you may order only the 535i or 550i in MT form. Given the poor sales of MT in the US, it's a miracle BMW even makes them available to us. They discontinued it for the 528i. But the good news is that there are a few 5ers floating around a dealership lots in the south. See this one in Richmond, that's one you could test drive.

There is no real need for AWD in the DC area; my mother drives a 325i sport that's rear wheel drive and the snow tires make a world of difference. Do a search on winter tires on various forums on this website, it's been often discussed.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 12-17-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:49 AM

lol

I absolutely have a need for AWD. I may live in DC but we take frequent trips for skiing, and plan to move to Colorado.

It's a real shame they're phasing out MT. It's what makes driving a car like this enjoyable. I really like the utility of the GT- it's perfect for my needs. I'm going to have to think really hard about this investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The 5er GT does not exist in MT form anywhere in the world. Dealer descriptions are rarely accurate.

For the US, you may order only the 535i or 550i in MT form. Given the poor sales of MT in the US, it's a miracle BMW even makes them available to us. They discontinued it for the 528i. But the good news is that there are a few 5ers floating around a dealership lots in the south. See this one in Richmond, that's one you could test drive.

There is no real need for AWD in the DC area; my mother drives a 325i sport that's rear wheel drive and the snow tires make a world of difference. Do a search on winter tires on various forums on this website, it's been often discussed.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325XiT Bl/Bl
Yep. I agree that BMW seems to have 'blown off' the 5% of us that want a manual 5 series with AWD. I have the same issue here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I drive a 2008 528XI. My lease is up in a few months. The dealer says that BMW does not make a replacement vehicle for me in 'Stick'. Will have to check out the competition or buy a late model E60 with AWD and a manual Tranny. What is it with the 'lazy' Americans who insist to drive automatic vehicles, which were originally meant for handicapped people??
Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweine View Post
Yep. I agree that BMW seems to have 'blown off' the 5% of us that want a manual 5 series with AWD. I have the same issue here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I drive a 2008 528XI. My lease is up in a few months. The dealer says that BMW does not make a replacement vehicle for me in 'Stick'. Will have to check out the competition or buy a late model E60 with AWD and a manual Tranny. What is it with the 'lazy' Americans who insist to drive automatic vehicles, which were originally meant for handicapped people??
I feel bad for you Canadians that often get lumped with American market preferences. French Canada has a distinctly European market taste and given how much more y'all pay for essentially the same car, the least BMW should do is offer more models and more flexibility. Alas, y'all just get the very-limited 323i.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: '92 525i
Not for nothing, as they say, but I've got an E34 and enjoy reading Bimmerfest posts for all cars, which brought me here. Speaking of manuals...

I grew up with Chevies mainly, then went to Saab and Volvo, all the time buying nothing but a standard trans. I always felt BMWs were overpriced, or at least too expensive for me. Then in 1999 I was looking to buy a new car. I went to the Volvo dealer and asked if they had any T5s that were standards. He said no, then tried to sell me on an automatic. I know for a fact that he could have ordered one for me, but he was totally set on talking me into the automatic. So I went to Saab. Saabs had two low-end models, and I could have gotten a manual on the small engine, but not on the bigger engine because Saab was phasing that option out for the American market. Of course Saab would sell me a super-fancy Viggin, with bling all over it and a standard, on special order, but otherwise they recommended that if i wanted the larger engine i should go auto. I can't tell you how much I hate auto transmissions, not to mention sales people that try to push them on customers.

So then it occurred to me that BMW, regardless of what I thought about the cars being overpriced or snotty, was at least putting standards in them. I went to a BMW dealer and saw a 540 sport with a six speed on the showroom floor, not hidden away. I started testing new and used BMWs and realized that the car was unlike anything I'd every driven before, and I'd rather have a used BMW than a new anything else. I ended up buying a two-year-old 328is. Then, this year, I moved from the 328 to a 91 525i, which I love to pieces. I'm thrilled with this car, what with the 5-speed, limited slip diff, and 27 mpg. I'm not sure I'll ever get a new one, but if I do, I promise it'll be a standard.