Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Wink DIY X5 Hitch

Got my hitch today…. $72.95 plus shipping. It was not the style I thought it would be, however my towing needs are haulin dirt bikes. The ratings are 600 lbs / 6000 lbs. The quality is fine. I purchased the wiring harness from my local BMW dealer and still wonder WHY IS THIS $200.00?????? Here is the add for the hitch>>>

NEW CLASS THREE HEAVY DUTY RECEIVER HITCH.TWO INCH RECEIVER.6000 PD TOWING CAPACITY. HARDWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED.LIFETIME WARRANTY.MADE IN PHOENIX,ARIZONA BY QUALITY S MFG,ONE OF THE LARGEST HITCH MANUFACTURERS IN AMERICA.SHIPPING TO CANADA IS 45.00. QUESTIONS CALL TOLL FREE 1-877-542-1711 http://www.stores.ebay.com/bestforlesstruckaccessories

…most of us like to save a dollar. I will post the complete pics and feed back this weekend, providing I have time to install. (I just cranked up anther semester of classes)
The install looks rather easy…

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	25054  
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
I got my hitch over the weekend from Bavarain Motorsport for $180. It looks NOTHING like your hitch. Hmmmm.... let me take a pic in the AM.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 01-20-2004, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 911 Turbo
Ditto on the Hitch - mine was this style:
http://www.hitchcorner.com/ - then select your vehicle.

Job took me about 4 hours, could have used 2nd set of hands for the Bumper removal/install. I have some good detailed instructions that I got off the web but I can't find the link. If you like I could fax them to you?

Last edited by turbosteve; 01-20-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0
Kevin,

My hitch looks just like yours .... but I paid $150. I had the shop put a plug in the section that goes under the spare tire..... made it look cleaner.

I am pulling my CRF450 with my X5. Love the looks I get when I drive up to the track . Saw your from TN, do you ride at Muddy Creek a lot? Next to Budds Creek that is my favorite track. Let us know how the wiring harness goes. I am pulling my single rail without lights right now , but will need harness for the annual trip to the Budds Creek National.

MGR8
Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve
Ditto on the Hitch - mine was this style:
http://www.hitchcorner.com/ - then select your vehicle.

Job took me about 4 hours, could have used 2nd set of hands for the Bumper removal/install. I have some good detailed instructions that I got off the web but I can't find the link. If you like I could fax them to you?
Thanks for the fax offer - i appreciate it.. My wiring harness came with the full BMW directions and the hitch came with even more directions, and for some reason, I did a search and printed even more directions for the hirch & wires. I hope i have it covered

kevin
Old 01-20-2004, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR8
Kevin,

My hitch looks just like yours .... but I paid $150. I had the shop put a plug in the section that goes under the spare tire..... made it look cleaner.

I am pulling my CRF450 with my X5. Love the looks I get when I drive up to the track . Saw your from TN, do you ride at Muddy Creek a lot? Next to Budds Creek that is my favorite track. Let us know how the wiring harness goes. I am pulling my single rail without lights right now , but will need harness for the annual trip to the Budds Creek National.

MGR8

I would like to learn about more places to ride in TN...

I am new to TN and have only been to the MX track in McMinnville. It is okay... Now that i have a hitch and lights I can be more mobile. Gotta say that you have a great bike on your hands. My YZ426f was stolen in FL... so now i ride a super light KX125, rides like a moped vs. the YZF.

I would like to learn more about places to ride open & mx

Kevin

Last edited by KCW002; 01-20-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:56 PM

All Done

Whew.... on a scale of 1-5, I give this hitch a 1.9 with 5 being advanced. This project was super easy! The hardest thing was removing spare tire and stuff to access the plug in for the computer module. Plugging in module to the X5 harness was worse than the entire install.

Two sets of hands would have made putting the bumper back on easier, but I did it alone and was fine. As you can see from the pix – I did this on the sidewalk of my apartment complex. I spent most of my time trying to make the door replacement cover as much of the opening as possible. It was tricky due to the angles and space needed for the chain hooks. I finished it off with ribbed tubing, which I will replace with smooth tubing during re-inspection of the bolts ect…

Next project is to get rid of these 17s!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hich sidewalk.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	25245   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch naked.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	25246   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch cover.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	25247   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch done.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	25248  
Old 01-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Nice, clean install.

How many hours did it take (start to finish)?

I am going to do mine this week. I think I will get some high-temp flat black spray paint and hit the mufflers while I have access to them when the bumper is off. I hate how they stand out from the rear.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
Nice, clean install.

How many hours did it take (start to finish)?

I am going to do mine this week. I think I will get some high-temp flat black spray paint and hit the mufflers while I have access to them when the bumper is off. I hate how they stand out from the rear.

My hitch is different than yours….

Most times i have heard of with your style of hitch is 3-4 hours.

My hitch was much less. I would have rather had your stlye of hitch, with my kit, I am not a big fan of the tube under the tire. Dont get me wrong - I am not going to change it!

Takes 5 minutes to remove the bumper, 5 minutes to remove 6 T-60 HEX bolts and another 15 minutes for alignment and mounting the hitch. The entire project with this kit is 45 minutes including wiring. My Hitch Is Not Like Yours

My hitch DID NOT require the removal or lowering of the exhaust. Knowing that we have different style hitches, like the OE hitch, you MIGHT need to remove (OE hitch comes with replacement) the carrier bumper that is mounted to the bumper cover. I sure hope you don’t… My hitch used the existing carrier bumper.

Your hitch style may require you to remove the plastics inside the cargo area to access bolts that you need to remove to install the hitch. Mine did not.

If you need any help along the way feel free to drop me a line. Also, please post pix of your exhaust after you have painted it black.

Here is a link of the OE install
http://ziff.net/~adam/x5world/hitch%20install.htm

This is a link to a hitch site that displays PDF installation instructions - just enter year & model.
http://www.hitch-web.com/default.asp

HANDY TIP: Place a few pieces of masking tape on the bumper cover and the side of the X5 before you remove the bumper cover. This will make the reinstall / alignment a snap. Place one piece of tape over both and cut with a razor.

Kevin

Last edited by KCW002; 01-25-2004 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW002
Got my hitch today…. $72.95 plus shipping. It was not the style I thought it would be, however my towing needs are haulin dirt bikes. The ratings are 600 lbs / 6000 lbs. The quality is fine. I purchased the wiring harness from my local BMW dealer and still wonder WHY IS THIS $200.00?????? Here is the add for the hitch>>>

…most of us like to save a dollar. I will post the complete pics and feed back this weekend, providing I have time to install. (I just cranked up anther semester of classes)
The install looks rather easy…

Kevin
Hi
Kevin after you installed the hitch, if you remove the receiver from it does the plastic cover in the bumper goes back in it's place and second question
did you have to drill or it war pre-drilled

Bogdan
Old 07-18-2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan
Hi
Kevin after you installed the hitch, if you remove the receiver from it does the plastic cover in the bumper goes back in it's place and second question
did you have to drill or it war pre-drilled

Bogdan
The cover can't be reused after the hitch has been removed. You will need to purchase another, as you must modify the much smaller factory hole on the factory cover. The hitch was 100% pre-drill, however i dont recommend this hitch as you can see the cross-bar froom the rear of the X5. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps-

KCW