Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Difference Between Napa v. Dakota Leather?

Looking at Oyster/Black leather interior to go with Carbon Black exterior....what is the difference between the Napa and the Dakota leather options?...is the Napa leather worth the extra $1K???.

Also, to my eyes, it appears as though the anthracite wood seems to go best with the Oyster/Black interior than the other woods...anyone else have this combination?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
The Napa is smoother-grained than the Dakota. I got the Dakota with my 535i. I also got the Anthracite with the Oyster/Black scheme. Looks great.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M5, 08 E93 M3, F430
That's the combo that I ordered - carbon black with oyster/black and anthracite wood. On the boat right now and should be here beginning of January. It looked good on the BMWUSA site.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Thanks Hoss and SANGuru...SANGuru--did you order the Dakota or the Napa leather for the Oyster/Black?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I have Oyster/Black Nappa with Anthracite wood trim and it looks stunning, IMO. And those who have been in my car really like the incredible feeling of luxury that the color combination and the Nappa leather evoke. I chose Nappa because not only looks incredibly classy, as an F10 should look, but also because it feels supple and rich. I am sure that other color combos are as impressive, but I opted for the contrast that Oyster/Black has.

My exterior is Dark Graphite, not Carbon Black, but I think that the effect is similar, if not better, with CB. I chose DG because I thought that it would hide dirt and swirl marks just a tad better than CB, while preserving the overall feeling of elegance of the black exterior, particularly in the shade and at night.

You'll find that the color scheme you are considering has universal appeal. Everyone will be impressed, specially yourself.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Thanks Hoss and SANGuru...SANGuru--did you order the Dakota or the Napa leather for the Oyster/Black?
I ordered dakota. I had nappa in my E46 M3 and my E60 M5 and it was softer than dakota but started wearing pretty quickly. The seat on my E60 M5 actually had to be changed at 8000 miles probably from my belt scraping at the side bolster when I got in. With the 2 year old in the back I opted for the dakota which seemed a little bit more durable so far in my 535i and x5.

Last edited by SANguru; 12-17-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 PM

great choice on color combo! Can you post an interior pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
I have Oyster/Black Nappa with Anthracite wood trim and it looks stunning, IMO. And those who have been in my car really like the incredible feeling of luxury that the color combination and the Nappa leather evoke. I chose Nappa because not only looks incredibly classy, as an F10 should look, but also because it feels supple and rich. I am sure that other color combos are as impressive, but I opted for the contrast that Oyster/Black has.

My exterior is Dark Graphite, not Carbon Black, but I think that the effect is similar, if not better, with CB. I chose DG because I thought that it would hide dirt and swirl marks just a tad better than CB, while preserving the overall feeling of elegance of the black exterior, particularly in the shade and at night.

You'll find that the color scheme you are considering has universal appeal. Everyone will be impressed, specially yourself.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
great choice on color combo! Can you post an interior pic?
Thank you!

Sure I'll post some pics. I'll have the car washed and cleaned tomorrow and take some pics over the weekend to post (I really do not have decent pics right now), Thank you for asking; I'm obliged.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 5351 sport
Same here

I ordered graphite with oyster Dakota/ black also with dark wood. Car just landed in Oxnard California and I am picking up my baby on jan 5. Cannot wait to rid myself of my Lexus.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin222 View Post
I ordered graphite with oyster Dakota/ black also with dark wood. Car just landed in Oxnard California and I am picking up my baby on jan 5. Cannot wait to rid myself of my Lexus.
What can I say? Well, you most definitely have taste! LOL.

Have a speedy delivery of your F10, my friend!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: M5, R1200RT
I too am very interested in this question... Ive got black dakota in my 335... I really want the nappa but I am also highly worried about wear and tear.

Can anyone speak to this at all... especially those who have had it in other BMWs for a couple of years. I plan on having my 5 for the life of the loan once I order it. I WANT ventilated Nappa, but I am sometimes a bit rough when I get in vehicles, and have been known to accidentally spill coffee. The wife has two boston terriers that will inevitably run around the car (they dont hurt the dakota), and there will probably be little B-1 Pilots in a year or two.

Any horror stories? should I just get a buick interior? pics of wear or lack thereof are cool...
Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
I too am very interested in this question... Ive got black dakota in my 335... I really want the nappa but I am also highly worried about wear and tear.

Can anyone speak to this at all... especially those who have had it in other BMWs for a couple of years. I plan on having my 5 for the life of the loan once I order it. I WANT ventilated Nappa, but I am sometimes a bit rough when I get in vehicles, and have been known to accidentally spill coffee. The wife has two boston terriers that will inevitably run around the car (they dont hurt the dakota), and there will probably be little B-1 Pilots in a year or two.

Any horror stories? should I just get a buick interior? pics of wear or lack thereof are cool...
Oh no! I don't want to hear horror stories!

Seriously now, I have read many posts that suggest that Nappa is not as fragile as one might think, but I am not taking any chances and intend to take good care of this beautiful leather, as I plan to keep my F10 forever, even after I buy another car. However, I do not allow dogs in my car and I do not foresee the possibility of little USAF pilots. I guess horror stories are in order so that we are better prepared to make choices and, for me, to learn how to better take care of my car's interior to make it last.

By the way, I had Dakota in my previous E60 and after 3 years of use, and yes, after giving rides to passengers of the canine variety with some frequency, the leather was like new. Dakota is an exceptional quality leather, IMO.

Last edited by Rafa; 12-17-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Oh no, tell me you are not "son of Sam(bb)"!. Are you equating Dakota to a Buick? To quote a famous phrase, "Not no way, not no how".

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 12-17-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi ///M Sport
I have black Nappa leather in my M3 and it still looks good after 80K miles and
six years. It has a soft, supple feel and luxurious appearance. I recommend
applying a standard leather conditioner (i.e. Maguire's) every 2-3 months. More frequent maintenance is required in hot, dry climates. This occasional treatment
will help ensure the longevity of the leather and keep it looking sharp.

Nappa leather is more susceptable to damage. It requires you to be conscious
of what's on your belt before entering the car. Cell phone cradles, pocket knives,
etc. may leave a mark and scuff the leather over time. Mine has a few noticeable scuffs from rapid entries with the Blackberry on my belt. For owners with young
families and those subjecting the car to more use than the standard
passenger load, Dakota leather may be the preferred choice...you also get more color options. Pity the F10 does not have as many leather options as the M3 or 7-Series.

Good luck with your choice.
-jc
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Mr. Magic

Mein Auto: 2001 330i and 2011 535i
Anthracite is IMO the best for Oyster/Black interior with a black exterior. This color combo is very sharp, works well together, and I have only been happy we decided at the last minute to switch to Oyster after seeing an example.

My CA advised me on the Nappa: they have a tendency to let you slide around when cornering, whereas the Dakota grips you better. He steered me away from it.

I found the Dakota in the 2011 F10 much more softer (velvety to the light touch) than when my 10 year old 330i w/Dakota leather was brand new, so I'd make sure you examine it in the F10 or other newer model as their leather quality may have changed (for the better) over the years.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: M5, R1200RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magic View Post

My CA advised me on the Nappa: they have a tendency to let you slide around when cornering, whereas the Dakota grips you better. He steered me away from it.
Oh jeez, are you saying the seating is "numb and spooky?" just kidding and thanks for the good advice all... You are very right that the dakota even in the new 5s is nicer... its better than my less than 2 year old 3. I haven't seen a 5 with ventilated nappa yet. If it matches 7 quality it should be perfect.