Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions

Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Please post your comments, ideas, or suggestions here.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10
New Coding Forum

Jon/Admins,

Is there a possibility of getting a dedicated coding forum on the site? The separate threads (stickied or not) are great but a single thread with close to 1000 posts makes it next to impossible to locate valuable information. If we had a separate forum we could create individual threads for each of the projects that we are working on. It would be your choice if we had sub-forums for each chassis, or we could tag each thread with a type of header [E9X] , [F10] etc. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Sean
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Why can't you create separate threads now?

PS I'm neither an admin or owner.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 PM

@Llando88,

We could certainly do that, which is basically what's happening now...continuing what is "business as usual." A seperate forum would give us a location where we could create threads that wouldn't be constantly pushed down the pages through the normal forum traffic. We've got a thread stickied in the F10 forum and it's at 975 posts in 18 days and getting to the point where gleaning viable information from it is hard to say the least.

We're starting to see people coding the F01, F10, F30 and F25 chassis' and of course the E9X folks have been doing their thing for a long time but the majority of it has been centered off-site. It would be great to center all the information into one area for all the chassis codes.

I'm fine either way and just thought I'd ask the question, so a new person wouldn't have to wade through 40+ pages or search for a specific thread hoping they had the search parameters correct. There's also so much information that bleeds over between the chassis' that being able to access the other models module information is helpful.

That's my answer, hope it helps understand my request. If the answer is a "No", I'll accept it and move on.

Sean
Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ok. I was just asking.

But you didn't answer the question, what is preventing you from creating separate threads now?

The "normal forum traffic" is of interest to normal forum users. Why would it be necessary to create a completely separate forum? I happen to like to see all the new threads. So regardless if the coding threads were in a separate forum or not, I'd still see them, if you get what I'm saying.

If you did start separate threads, say in General BMW for a start, and tagged them consistently with searchable strings, and they got topped regularly, that would show broad interest, right? Then your case for a separate forum would be that much the stronger?

It's not up to me, by the way, I really don't have any skin in the game, so please don't take my comments negatively. I certainly appreciate the effort you guys put into the F10 forum coding thread, it's pretty impressive.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

...and so here's a posssible taxonomy for thread names as an idea:

CODING [ Getting Started ] - Basic how to of coding
CODING [ Hardware ] - Hardware you need to build
CODING [ Resources / sw ] - Software references

Etc.?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Ok. I was just asking.

But you didn't answer the question, what is preventing you from creating separate threads now?

The "normal forum traffic" is of interest to normal forum users.
I get what you're saying as well but in this case I don't feel we're talking about normal forum users. There is a definite subset of user that has interest in this type of topic. I also understand that interesting threads stay at the top of the forum, but in the case of a small coding issue...let's say "BMW Apps", there may not be enough traffic to keep the thread on top because there may not be enough people interested in it (remember this is an example only).

The other thing I'd hate to see is a general chassis forum turn into a coding forum because the coding threads are the ones that stay active.

I've also thought about a naming convention for separate threads but it just doesn't seem to work in the long run and search is normally pretty hit and miss.

Ask all the questions you want to, you're not hurting my feelings...it's all good I just thought I'd make the request and see what happens. We'll let you in if we do get a forum

Sean

Last edited by ImSW1; 05-27-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
There's a large coding subforum at bimmerforums, but I wouldn't mind having one here as well.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
+1 the thread is ridiculously long and it would be nice to see a special forum for it instead. It would give us a chance to put all the cars (F10, F30, etc) in one forum without having to go all over the place. Plus searching in that one thread (the F10) is getting a pain too. I realize I'm doing F30 coding instead of F10 but especially because of this, it would be nice to have it all in one spot
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi MSport
+1

I had just posted my concerns this afternoon not knowing that Sean had already moved in this direction.

Please consider breaking the coding out. It just makes sense.

Thanks,
Bill
2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, 316, 322, 3AG, 5AD, 5AG, 5DL, 609, 620, 655, 677, 6FL delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Bearing in mind I'm just asking questions, what is it that you guys want?

I still don't see why you can't go ahead and demonstrate the need by starting threads on the topics you want?

If say the "general BMW" forum starts to be over run with coding threads, I would think it would show you needed a separate coding forum, no?

I'm trying to suggest you use the tools available, demonstrate the need and go from there.

(again, I'm just an interested observer. ) )

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi MSport
Llando88:

I think where the problem comes about is when starts to do a search. Looking for answer about an issues on how to code behavior of fog lamps would return everything about fog lamps (there can be a lot of discussion on lamp replacement) versus only those threads specific to coding (the posts on coding fog lamps would probably not have the word "code" or "coding" in them). Besides, what is being done here would/could apply to all of the platforms that use the new coding method and should be in a shared forum. For example there is a lot of discussion between F30 and F10 owners.

Hope that helps the cause.

bill
2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, 316, 322, 3AG, 5AD, 5AG, 5DL, 609, 620, 655, 677, 6FL delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Bearing in mind I'm just asking questions, what is it that you guys want?

I still don't see why you can't go ahead and demonstrate the need by starting threads on the topics you want?

If say the "general BMW" forum starts to be over run with coding threads, I would think it would show you needed a separate coding forum, no?

I'm trying to suggest you use the tools available, demonstrate the need and go from there.

(again, I'm just an interested observer. ) )
I was (still am, but retired) a moderator on a very well trafficed automotive specialty forum. Believe me when I say that having a ton of coding threads in the main forum really is counterproductive. A few reasons.

1. Coding is definitely a specialty item. It's not going to grab everyone's attention.
2. It makes search much easier. If you are searching using advanced search, you can search for a particular subject in the coding child forum. If you do that in the main forum, you might not find what you want.
3. It keeps the main forum from getting buried and becoming dominated by a few zealous forum users.

Etc.

On the Android forums, each phone has it's own forum. And within that forum, there is a sub-forum for those who "root" their phone (same as jailbreaking, etc.). Reason being is that the root is specific to that phone, but there are a ton of casual users logging on to understand things like "how do I get my calendars to sync" or "why is my battery usage so high". Rooting is a very specific, very technical thing and it does not appear to the general population. It is daunting to the basic user. The root sub-section generally has a ton of activity and would likely dominate the non-rooting threads. Those threads would be driven down and the audience appeal to the general forum would diminish.

Diminished appeal, less clicks, less advertising revenue.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/

Note that they even have root subforums for each carrier, as there are differences aplenty, even with the phones.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

^^^^ Noted, good comments.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Let's say you could wave a wand and create a coding forum.

Would it have subforums or just a free for all?

If subforums, what would they be called?

Would it be a child forum or standalone?

If child, child of what?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I started with a generic coding forum but require an applicable E/F code for all new threads. I may have missed some E/F codes so let me know and I'll add them.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Tim
Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I started with a generic coding forum but require an applicable E/F code for all new threads. I may have missed some E/F codes so let me know and I'll add them.

Tim
Thanks Tim!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

Tim
F25 and E83 maybe?

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 05-31-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
Thanks, Tim

I also noticed there was no F07 yet while there are a few F07's coding as well
Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Added!