Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 530xit 2006
reflections on 48 hours of ownership

535ix space gray/oyster

sure all the issues raised in the forum are probably somewhat fair - the reflection in the windscreen of the HUD area, the lack of space for a cellphone/keys etc etc etc

none of it matters when you go through the brooklyn battery tunnel 30-70 in 3rd...this car is better than my boxsterS, hands down more thrilling, faster and absolutely gorgeous.

Sure the steering is a bit looser than my E60 530xit but who cares - the engine is incredible, the transmission amazing and it is just so beautiful.

I cant wait to commute to work on Monday...now that's saying something...
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Congrats! The F10 is absolutely amazing, isn't it? And don't worry, the "loose steering" feeling just disappears when you start taking curves at speed! After a few minutes of spirited driving, when you slow down, the steering feeling remains taut; it seems as if the car "learns" from the way you drive it.

How did you option your car?
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 530xit 2006
pretty basic as had a hard limit (company car) P1, cold weather, ipod/phone, satellite radio - doesn't really matter though given how awesome the car is
Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eld4221 View Post
pretty basic as had a hard limit (company car) P1, cold weather, ipod/phone, satellite radio - doesn't really matter though given how awesome the car is
My previous E60 528i was VERY basic, just P1, and I still love that car, so much so that I plan to purchase my dad's 2010 528i to keep. Mine was a lease, so I just turned the car in, a 2008. I miss that car, the engine was so smooth, power delivery so linear, and on and on. I am sure you'll love your car as much as I did (and still do) mine.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I also got my F10 48 hrs ago (535i, sapphire black/black dakota leather/anthracite wood, P1, P2, Sport pkg, sport trans/paddle shifters), and have also been quite pleased! I am coming from a 1999 323i w/sports package. Unfortunately, we had snow in MD the day I picked it up, so I haven't been able to push it too hard...but I agree with you that this is a phenomenal car.

I have been following a number of threads here, and was most concerned about the steering among other issues that have come up. I am happy to say that my car seems perfect to me! The steering is tight, weighted well, and has appropriate resistance variability with speed. There is no vague feel, and no "numbness" (whatever that means....) to the steering. The center feel is excellent as well.

The engine in this car is incredibly smooth, and sounds great. The transmission is extraordinary...and the normal vs sport mode is perfect to switch in and out of for more "spirited" driving vs commuting. The interior is well thought out and fit and finish is the best I have seen. The electronics are also lots of fun...i love having the album artwork from my ipod up and the map in perspective mode split screen - it really is an impressive screen. Bluetooth streaming audio is also a cool feature.

Overall...I think the majority of people who get this car will absolutely fall in love with it. It is an incredible piece of machinery and technology. Don't believe the magazines and other critics - trust your gut, and you will not be disappointed!!

PS - no pics yet b/c my car is all salty from the snow/salt, etc. Will try to post once things are cleaned up!

PPS - This car is not great in snow (at least not without snow tires or XDrive). My car was fitted with Dunlops - that's the first I've seen of those on these cars. My first turn off the highway on the way home I almost slid off into the guardrail. When I got home I could not get up the driveway - had to pull out the shovel and salt to get up to my garage. It did not make me look too cool!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eld4221 View Post
535ix space gray/oyster

sure all the issues raised in the forum are probably somewhat fair - the reflection in the windscreen of the HUD area, the lack of space for a cellphone/keys etc etc etc

none of it matters when you go through the brooklyn battery tunnel 30-70 in 3rd...this car is better than my boxsterS, hands down more thrilling, faster and absolutely gorgeous.

Sure the steering is a bit looser than my E60 530xit but who cares - the engine is incredible, the transmission amazing and it is just so beautiful.

I cant wait to commute to work on Monday...now that's saying something...
Thank you for expressing my thoughts on this subject more eloquently and with greater brevity than I ever could.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Im picking up my 550i x tomorrow and am very psyched. Christmas is coming early! Paul miller in wayne is taking us out of our 2010 535i that had a hpfp issue but nothing to classify it as a lemon. My wife is just very persuausive and got us a decent deal on a new ride. Here is the break down:

Graphite met
Anthracite interior
M sport pac
Active steering pack
P2
Hud
Comfort pack
Top cameras
Integration stuff

It came over on the mignon and was not what i would have wanted but the timing was perfect and my wants (nappa and fold down seats, but same colors) were not enough to pass. I cant sleep!

Will put up pics and first few mile impressions tomorrow. And believe it or not, i'm going to let wifey drive it out of the dealership.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 12-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Sept Build
Congratulations! Sounds like you're commutes will be changed for the better, for quite some time. If you're like me, the pleasure of the car only gets better on the weekend.

Enjoy!
-Zathris
Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 PM

I cant wait smell the new bmw smell. Its the best of all new car smells

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 12-17-2010, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
Im picking up my 550i x tomorrow and am very psyched. Christmas is coming early! Paul miller in wayne is taking us out of our 2010 535i that had a hpfp issue but nothing to classify it as a lemon. My wife is just very persuausive and got us a decent deal on a new ride. Here is the break down:

Graphite met
Anthracite interior
M sport pac
Active steering pack
P2
Hud
Comfort pack
Top cameras
Integration stuff

It came over on the mignon and was not what i would have wanted but the timing was perfect and my wants (nappa and fold down seats, but same colors) were not enough to pass. I cant sleep!

Will put up pics and first few mile impressions tomorrow. And believe it or not, i'm going to let wifey drive it out of the dealership.
I don't think that active steering is available with xDrive cars. Congrats, I can't wait to get my 550i too. Just ordered it so I've got time on my hands.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 AM

Oops that should read active SEATING

Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf1993 View Post
Thank you for expressing my thoughts on this subject more eloquently and with greater brevity than I ever could.
Ditto! It just gets better and better.