Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Dynamic Handling Package question

Not to sound like an idiot, but is the dynamic handling package what puts the car into normal, sport and sport + mode? Or are those modes inherit in the Sport Package. This has posed a bit of confusion for me.

It is my impression that the normal sport and sport + modes are included with the sport package and affect throttle response, while the dynamic handling package only affects the suspension.

Anyone have insight?

Thanks.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
It is confusing I know, Driving Dynamic handling TMK is "Sport Package".
Adaptive Drive is adjustable suspension I think.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Correct, you must order the Dynamic Handling Package to get the Sport, Sport +, Normal setting for the suspension. In the 535i and 550i, this package includes the Adaptive Drive trick suspension. In the 528i, this only includes EDC so the cost is lower.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Correct, you must order the Dynamic Handling Package to get the Sport, Sport +, Normal setting for the suspension. In the 535i and 550i, this package includes the Adaptive Drive trick suspension. In the 528i, this only includes EDC so the cost is lower.
Thanks, then this is a "must have", especially in the 528i. I enjoyed sport and sport+.

To me, normal mode = "wife" mode in the 528i.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: F10
So far everyone is wrong.

The sport package has nothing to do with the transmission or suspension. Nicer wheels, blacked out trim etc.

Sport transmission gives you option to tighten suspension and make the transmission shift faster. You also get paddle shifters and an awesome steering wheel - $500

DHP gives you an even tighter suspension in the form of antiroll. The switch also gets an additional setting of 'comfort' - $1,700

Sport trans is a must. DHP depends on the driver.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
It's confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post

The sport package has nothing to do with the transmission or suspension. Nicer wheels, blacked out trim etc.

Sport transmission gives you option to tighten suspension and make the transmission shift faster. You also get paddle shifters and an awesome steering wheel - $500

DHP gives you an even tighter suspension in the form of antiroll. The switch also gets an additional setting of 'comfort' - $1,700

Well, I wasn't sure if he wanted the MT or an AT model at first. If one orders the MT, then you have to get DHP OR Integral Active Steering to get the buttons (example), otherwise you don't get the settings.

After verifying with the 5er owner's manual and sales brochure, it does appear that the Sport AT also yields suspension adjustments, although DHP on the 528i gets you the Comfort mode and the Dynamic Dampers.

Whew this is confusing. Basically, there's lot of ways to get the adjustment buttons, but the extent of adjustability and actual suspension will vary.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 12-18-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:59 AM

Thanks guys. This answers my question. Yes, I was referring to the sport auto transmission.

You can understand the confusion. It is sort of like my E60 that had sport auto transmission as well as the "sport" button. I could never figure out why I needed the sport button if I could just use the gear shift in sport auto mode and have it shift itself with the same performance.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post

And you are wrong as well. Almost right.

Sport Auto transmission does not give you the option to tighten the suspension. You MUST get DHP in order to have the adjustable suspension. The literature (manual) is pretty unclear, but the brochure sums it up well:

"Driving Dynamics Control. When equipped with the 8 speed Sport Automatic transmission, you can adjust the 5 Series Sedan's driving characteristics by pressing a button. Choose from three settings: NORMAL, SPORT, and SPORT +, to adjust engine-throttle response, transmission shift characteristics, and power-steering assist. In addition, the traction control feature can be disengaged when driving on sand, gravel, or deep or packed snow."

and

"Adaptive Drive. Included in the Dynamic Handling Package, Adaptive Drive combines performance-elevating Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) and ride-enhancing Dynamic Damping Control (DDC)...."
Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Ready for next ED

Mein Auto: 2008 335ic
The sport auto changes the shift points and tightens the steering feel via the electric assist. It does not change the suspension. Only the DHP does that. When you have the sport auto and DHP they work together off the same switch (Comfort, normal, sport, sport+).
  • 1980 323i
  • A couple beater 2002tis
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM

update

guys, I went to build a 528i on the BMWUSA site and the buttons do not show up next to the gear shift when not opting for the Dynamic Handling Package. So the three modes "normal, sport, and sport+" are only possible when ordering the Dynamic Handling Package.

Although you can switch transmission modes through the sport auto transmission, the suspension does not appear to change without the dynamic handling package with the appearance of the buttons to the left of the gearshift. AND you cannot get the Dynamic Handling Package without the sport package.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
Thanks guys. This answers my question. Yes, I was referring to the sport auto transmission.

You can understand the confusion. It is sort of like my E60 that had sport auto transmission as well as the "sport" button. I could never figure out why I needed the sport button if I could just use the gear shift in sport auto mode and have it shift itself with the same performance.
The "sport" button on my 650i, probably like the one on your E60, also increased the throttle response and increased the steering effort.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
guys, I went to build a 528i on the BMWUSA site and the buttons do not show up next to the gear shift when not opting for the Dynamic Handling Package. So the three modes "normal, sport, and sport+" are only possible when ordering the Dynamic Handling Package.

Although you can switch transmission modes through the sport auto transmission, the suspension does not appear to change without the dynamic handling package with the appearance of the buttons to the left of the gearshift. AND you cannot get the Dynamic Handling Package without the sport package.
Never trust something like that to reflect reality.

I have personally driven two 528i's with the sport auto trans and NO DHP, and the buttons were there and functional.

You're correct in that you cannot change suspension unless you get the DHP.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Never trust something like that to reflect reality.

I have personally driven two 528i's with the sport auto trans and NO DHP, and the buttons were there and functional.

You're correct in that you cannot change suspension unless you get the DHP.
Thanks for the clarification. The pictures are obviously misleading then. Sorry for the confusion.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired