Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-02-2015, 06:45 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Question about "no O-ring" for coolant level sensor.

When I went to finish my water pump DIY on my 2002 540, I was surprised again (done this job on other 540s) that there was no O-ring for the level sensor at the very bottom of the expansion tank. I looked for quite a while for a left-over O-ring amongst my left over parts to go back on the car and I found there was none left behind on the expansion tank or the sensor. The sensor just seems to twist onto the bottom with a snug fit, but no seal which I expected to find. Real oem does not show an O-ring for this connection either. Appears just plastic against plastic. I just can't wrap my head around this. Is there supposed to be an O-ring here?
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2015, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the level sensor does not actually contact the inside of the expansion tank. There is space molded into the bottom of the expansion tank that the sensor sits in, and the float inside of the tank triggers the level sensor by some effect (Hall? Voodoo?).
Old 05-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Correct, it's not in the tank with the coolant.
The sensor is a reed relay (switch) that is activated by magnet on the float stick inside the tank.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here's a closeup picture of my expansion tank level sensor (more in the threads below):
- Behr radiator and Behr expansion (aka surge) tank autopsy (1) (2) & request for another autopsy (1)
Old 05-02-2015, 02:18 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Here's a closeup picture of my expansion tank level sensor (more in the threads below):
- Behr radiator and Behr expansion (aka surge) tank autopsy (1) (2) & request for another autopsy (1)
Very good bee and others. I had read this before, but it just did not make it to the "keep" drawer which is my bad. It is ALL coming back to me know. I really think that as I get older, when I add new info into my head, some piece of previously known data gets "pushed out":-(
Old 05-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeytowner View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the level sensor does not actually contact the inside of the expansion tank..

bingo...

i freaked out the first time 2...
its magnetic baby!

lol

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----