Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 06 - 325i , 08 TT Roadste
Just test drove the X3 28i

I have been trolling the forums for Months in anticipation of the X3 release. Finally received the call from my local dealer that both the 28i and 35i rolled unexpectedly off the Truck today. Upon arrival only the 28i was ready for test drives (35i was on the floor with a nice red holiday bow).

Full disclosure: I am in the market for a crossover to replace my 325i and since we have an Audi TT in the family and love the service we get from Audi we recently drove both the 2.0T and 3.2 Q5.

PLUS SIDE: X3 seems incredibly light and agile for a 4,000 lb vehicle, the steering is crisp and you feel like you can easily flick the car in any direction you like so BMW handling is very much intact. Pushing the vehicle in turns around in and out of exit ramps there is pretty much no body roll....very impressive.

NOT SO PLUS SIDE: I was expecting a the typical 6 cylinder growl and acceleration that I am used to in my 325i and this X3 didn't quite satisfy in that department. The engine sounds more like the 4 cylinder Audi to me. On paper the X3 28i is faster then the Audi 2.0T but it did not feel that way at all. Not sure if there was something wrong with the car I drove but I am going to try and find another one to make sure. The only other areas I noticed were road/wind noise was more noticeable then I thought it should be and the run flat ride was...well a run flat type ride.

Overall I was really impressed with the handling, road feel and overall quality but perplexed by the engine. In direct comparison to the Q5, the X3 wins in agility, overall handling but I feel just loses in overall interior luxury feel, quiet cabin and a slightly less rough ride. It's a very tough decision for me right now so I am interested to hear other folks impressions as these X3's start hitting showrooms and driveways. We might drive the 35i but and I know that is going to rip but it's a big jump in dollars.
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
One of the things I am dreading is if it rides like most RFT's it will be a deal killer for me.

Did this one have the adjustable ride control?

I plan on the 35i if anything. So I would believe speed will be there.

In fact with the way BMW is going with the RFT's, this one maybe be the last one for me.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-19-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
One of the things I am dreading is if it rides like most RFT's it will be a deal killer for me.

Did this one have the adjustable ride control?

I plan on the 35i if anything. So I would believe speed will be there.

In fact with the way BMW is going with the RFT's, this one maybe be the last one for me.
RFT wont be a deal breaker for me, I'll do just like my MCS, the week after I got it, I bought ''normal'' tires, and the ride was so changed, for the best. And I kept a very nice kit in case I had a flat.

To the OP, I will be in the same boat in about a year, I LOVE the Q5 since it's release, AUdi's interior are soooo nice. I only wish the Q5 had a better engine to replace the 3.2L.

But in my case, the X3 will be with the 3.5, so it will be a tuff choice between the two when time comes!! Cant wait to test drive the X3
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 06 - 325i , 08 TT Roadste
The 28i that we drove only had Premium Package and maybe one other thing, no Sport or performance enhancement options. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the ride with the RFT is horrible, it's just noticeable when the cars I drive on a daily basis don't have them. It's not enough to be a deal breaker on the car.

Looks like we are driving the 35i in the next few days, should be interesting. Once you load up a 35i with some goodies you are in entry X5 territory so I am guessing most avg. folks will be going with the 28i depending on how BMW steers folks.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
BMW continues to filter away their engine growl in most models, as to appeal to a greater luxury car audience. My 2004 X3 with the M54 is so loud at start up that you could probably hear it next door. And you definitely hear it coming down the street. With each newer iteration of a model, there's less and less sporting noise. But that's a preference thing; the turbo model will likely have a slightly more assertive soundtrack but it will still "hide" the 306bhp potential.

The transmission also may have something to do with the "acceleration feel". With the adaptive transmission control, it takes awhile to figure out the shifting algorithm and until then, shifts can be a bit random or unresponsive at times.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
what is RFT and MCS
Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Chances are that its 3.0L takes LESS fuel than a Q5 2.0T 200HP! Still waiting of official EPA rating... should be 21/30 ... (same powertrain in the 528i is 22/32).
Old 12-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d base model
I looked at a 2011 x3 28i today, it had just come off the truck so it wasn't available to drive. The epa on the window sticker 19/25 vs 19/26 for the 35i, the 28i has lower gears and no direct injection=less mpg on the hwy.

I was very impressed with the interior quality, I was surprised to see wood trim in the 28i, I would opt for the dark wood though. The siena wood looked like ugly plastic to me, my wife agreed. The non sport seats were much more comfortable than those in my now sold 335d.

The cargo area behind the rear seat in very small, my wifes cr-v has much more space for her 100 lb yellow lab...not sure I would want hiim riding in an x3 anyway..he is unruly

The exterior was also impressive, better looking in person than pics.

If the new x3 drives as good as it looks and they offer it here in the USA with a diesel I will be an owner, unless another diesel suv of the same size comes along first
Old 12-19-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FAN95 View Post
what is RFT and MCS
RFT = run flat tires

MCS = mini cooper S model.

My wife has the MCS and I can't stay in it any longer than 45 minutes.

Each time she hits a bump its like being thrown to the mat with no way to cushion the fall.

Personally, I think its a way to cut costs and pass them on to the buyer. RFT offer no real value whatsoever.

And please don't tell me you can drive for miles on them. I had to get green goop and a compressor to get my wife's car to the tire shop 5 miles away. Complete ripoff.

Seems almost insane to pay for tires you wont use --almost as bad as paying for a stereo I wont use. But the stereo fails I can keep going.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-19-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Actually anyone with RFT should be equipped with a "green slime, compressor kit" in which the slime is put into the tire along with the air. Much cleaner than trying to put the slime in and then the air. Either that or a donut spare from a wrecking yard to use as an emergency when you are too far from anything.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Actually anyone with RFT should be equipped with a "green slime, compressor kit" in which the slime is put into the tire along with the air. Much cleaner than trying to put the slime in and then the air. Either that or a donut spare from a wrecking yard to use as an emergency when you are too far from anything.
QFT, I had the ''Continental conticomfortkit'' , very nice kit, simple to use....

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW X3, '05 Audi S4
Same dilemma.....but I'm buying an Audi Q5 3.2L

On Wednesday I take delivery of my new Audi Q5 3.2L to replace my leased '08 X3. Despite several tries I never got to drive or even see the new X3 - the roll out to current X3 owners (especially those at the tail end of a lease) has been lackluster at best which is surprising for a company with a marketing machine like BMW. I'm excited about the Q5 - it consistently ranks at the top of the class.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90diesel View Post
I looked at a 2011 x3 28i today, it had just come off the truck so it wasn't available to drive. The epa on the window sticker 19/25 vs 19/26 for the 35i, the 28i has lower gears and no direct injection=less mpg on the hwy.

I was very impressed with the interior quality, I was surprised to see wood trim in the 28i, I would opt for the dark wood though. The siena wood looked like ugly plastic to me, my wife agreed. The non sport seats were much more comfortable than those in my now sold 335d.

The cargo area behind the rear seat in very small, my wifes cr-v has much more space for her 100 lb yellow lab...not sure I would want hiim riding in an x3 anyway..he is unruly

The exterior was also impressive, better looking in person than pics.

If the new x3 drives as good as it looks and they offer it here in the USA with a diesel I will be an owner, unless another diesel suv of the same size comes along first
i test drove the x3 28i and was a bit disappointed with the mpg. so at the end of the test drive i put in a tentative order for the x3 35i. might as well get the extra horsies with no mpg penalty.

i was hoping the 28i would get into the low 30mpg area but oh well.

my order is tentative because I want to get the bumpers from the M sports package. looks like i'll be waiting until april to receive the car.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 12-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
regarding the run flats.

i too hated them with a passion when i first experienced them in my -08 MCS. in fact i got new wheels and new non-rft tires within the first 10k miles.

now fast forward to 2010 and the 335D and the 2nd generation of rfts... you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and non-rft tires. so if your experience is with the older generation of rfts... try out the new ones. it's quite a change for the better.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarm View Post
regarding the run flats.

i too hated them with a passion when i first experienced them in my -08 MCS. in fact i got new wheels and new non-rft tires within the first 10k miles.

now fast forward to 2010 and the 335D and the 2nd generation of rfts... you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and non-rft tires. so if your experience is with the older generation of rfts... try out the new ones. it's quite a change for the better.

If you look at my Garage you will see my wife's MCS is a 2010, and I have driven the 335 MY 11. After hearing all the nightmare's and subsequently the recall on the HPFP I crossed the 335 off the light with a black sharpie.

Believe me I can immediately tell the difference.

Plus they are anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 more the cost of a comparable standard tire.

My Michelin cost about $170 from tire rack RFT would be close to $270.

The Conti RFT's for my wife are almost $250. A non RFT would be about $150.

I can live with having to use a compressor type set up if the ride is comfortable, but you'll never sell me ont he idea they are a convenience for the customer. They don't do what they say they can do. Short of protecting the rims.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Question

Apologies to the OP if I'm getting too far sideways with this but, since green slime's been mentioned, I'm wondering about the consequences of its use.

1. Does it have to be cleaned back off of the tire and rim?

2. Does it damage or effect the functionality of the TPM sensors?

3. Does it make re-balancing difficult?

Curious minds want to know.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
Apologies to the OP if I'm getting too far sideways with this but, since green slime's been mentioned, I'm wondering about the consequences of its use.

1. Does it have to be cleaned back off of the tire and rim?

2. Does it damage or effect the functionality of the TPM sensors?

3. Does it make re-balancing difficult?

Curious minds want to know.
RFT are not repairable.

Yes the TPM has to be cleaned.

If it is not cleaned out yes.

When making a decision I frequently use the win/lose column and RFT really upset the balance of the X3.

More than likely what I would do is if the X3 was comforatable I would keep them until the first flat, then replace them all, and sell off the remaining ones.

Problem is BMW would blame any ailment the car had no matter what the issue on the new tires.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-20-2010 at 10:05 PM.