Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
Post 2001 740il issues..

Hello everyone.. I recently got a 2001 740il and I have had the car for about two weeks and have loved driving it everyday.. but I just noticed that my brake lights are always on and on the dash the brake light comes on sometimes then I turn my car off and when I start it again the light is off and sometimes never comes on even if driving in traffic for a hour..lastly the traction control light comes on and stays on some times and then then next time I drive the car the traction control will work great no problems.. any clues on my problems? And I sure hope its nothing major I really love this car... any help would be great..
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740iA Sport
Clean or replace your brake sensors, there are one on each wheel. Start with the rear the usually suspect for cleaning or the wire fraying
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
If the brake fluid is low enough, the brake light (on the dash) will come on indicating that you either have a leak in the system, or the pads are low enough to cause the caliper pistons to come out further than normal, causing lower fluid in the resevoir. The first thing I would check as far as the brake light, is the fluid level.

There are sensors in the front and rear brake pads that are used to tell the driver when the brake pads are getting low. I think this happened once with my car, and the information display gave a message like "check brake linings" or something like this, but I don't remember if the brake light came on or not.

When you say "the brake lights stay on", are you talking about the actual lights on the rear of the car?

The traction control does a self check when you start the car, and if it detects a fault in the system any time after you start the car, the traction control system and the ABS systems will cut off and the traction control light will illuminate on the dash. If this light is illuminated, there should be a code stored in the system, and this code will lead you to your problem. You would need a code reader that could read the fault codes stored in the ABS/ASC system, an OBD2 code reader will not read the codes stored in this system. It would probably be a good idea to go to a shop that deals with foreign cars or the dealer to get this scanned as I doubt that the code readers that you buy at an auto part store will get into this system. It could be anything from a wheel speed sensor, to the ABS module.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Hey everyone thanks for the info and yes when I said the brake lights stay on I am talking about the tail lights stay light 100% of the time..

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Bimmer App
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Hello all.. so I cleaned and checked all of the break sensors and haven't had and problems with the break light and traction control light coming on so that worked great.. but my other issue of my tail lights staying on 100% of the time.. any ideas? Don't feel safe with it looking like I have my foot on the break all the time while driving.. please help..

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Bimmer App
Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
The first thing I would check would be the brake light switch, which is usually connected somewhere around the brake pedal. If this switch is hanging loose or has gotten un-adjusted, the brake lights will stay on.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740il
hi.
There is a recall on the brakelight switch so what happens is it like gets stuck and your lights are on. replace the switch or go to the dealer he should do the recall.