Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: ..
A Tribute To The E39

I stood outside a couple of nights ago in queens where the weather was quite nice, and stood over my car for 2 hours under the street light just looking at it. I was adoring it's crystal clear anthracite grey color , intricate style 5 wheels, and sporty shadowline trim. There was not one thing I could find that wasn't beautiful about my car. I was Observing how every single line , shape, and nuance was created deliberately and matched with some aspect of the car. For example, the part under the door handle where there is a scoop to accomodate the hand (on the exterior door) matches the top shape of the car directly . Looking at how the front and rear lights are differently shaped, yet compliment each other so beautifully , as if they were planned delicately to fit with the shape and flavor of the car not smashed together in haste or designed to look like another competitor's. Every indentation , line and accent flows inwards and outwards of each other, as if it were designed to be the absolute best 5 series achievement that BMW had ever created at that time , not to be copied from mercedes or audi , but true sheer beauty. Almost every part of the design, cues and carries along the older 5 series , such as the e34 which we owned and the e28 my uncle had. With all these things in mind along with the luxurious interior, masterful engine choices , and absolute adoration from bmw fans worldwide , I am 100% confident that the e39 has surefootedly secured itself as a gem of sports sedans. The last totally honest and handsome 5 series that I believe this world will ever see. A generations past. What in the world has happened to bmw now a days? That is a question I try to answer every single day. I know there are still "great" cars like the 335 and M6 perhaps, but after driving both of them, I can feel no conviction, connection, or soul . Everything is just so calculated and artificial as to keep up with a fake image that having the most complex technologically advanced gadgets and gismos or forced induction defines a great car...no.. it does not. And even though im 18, I have seen this car , now my car, when it was bought brand new, and can still remember when my father said he was going to get a car like the M5. After playing need for speed religiously and falling in love with the M5 , I became so excited. The e39 had a presence and beauty in the game that always compelled me to drive it. The informational description read by the narrator inspired me to research this car and I fell in love with it every word I read. Seeing an M5 back then was like seeing my favorite superhero or the best friend I never had. Things weren't about twin turbos this or that and quad turbo 16 cylinder whatevers. I will never forget seeing my dad roll down the block with this car, xenons and fog lights bright , sunroof up, and windows down to greet me. Yeah it wasn't an M5, but I didn't care. I didn't even know until a few years later. Sitting in the passenger's seat all my life until they finally gave it to me was like a dream come true. To have it in my total possession now , after seeing it in every major family picture, through ups and downs, elementary school, jr high, high school, and now college, after more than a decade with only 85K is undescribable. I know that there are forums such as this with true BMW enthusiasts. Some may be older and some younger, but it can be agreed upon that falling in love with a car like this has no age restrictions. To all those who are lucky enough.. no.. Blessed enough to have an e39 , I just wanted to let you know that you are holding on to a priceless gem, which is loosing respect by some everyday. And with all this said I would like to pay tribute to the e39, as the last and best 5er bmw made.
The e39 will never be replaced.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
make your dad proud and take care of the E39 for the next 12 years.....

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: ..
I make him proud everyday I clean it
Old 04-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
You stared at your car for two straight hours? I don't know what you need most - a hobby, girlfriend or prostitute...

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 04-19-2011, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BMW530 View Post
You stared at your car for two straight hours? I don't know what you need most - a hobby, girlfriend or prostitute...

Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BMW530 View Post

I stared at my 540 for like a week when I first got her. A year later and I still stare at her as if she were my prostitute,girlfriend or a hobby...
Old 04-19-2011, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
I often have random people I do not know climb on my car and take pictures. It happens every time I go to a public place. Thankfully, all of the people are under 100 lbs and do not leave dents.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
That's what I like to see - appreciation for beauty that encapsulates desire, sport, heritage and meaning.

The greatest feeling of all - driving a brand new one off the lot. That feeling, the scent of the leather interior, the looks you got - priceless. I can say I've experienced that twice.

I have a very, very hard time even now thinking someday to part with it - so I decided I won't. (Despite some of the tragedy it gives from time to time.)

Keep the gem alive, keep this spirit alive.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
540gurl

Mein Auto: 1998 540i E39
E39 = Simply....... Sexy
Old 04-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: Grey 2003 Bmw 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gurl View Post
E39 = Simply....... Sexy
+1
Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
Thankfully, all of the people are under 100 lbs and do not leave dents.
I'm assuming that when you say 'people' you mean 'women' because if I saw a bunch of tiny little men crawling all over my car striking poses while taking pictures of themselves..I might get highly annoyed.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i/6
Props to you, OP for your enthusiasm. Spoken with passion. Im sure your pops is proud. I wish mine appreciated fine cars.