Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
Cleaned Engine Bay Now ABS and Brake Lights On

Today I cleaned my engine bay for the first time. I filled a bucket with water and added some Dawn and gently wiped down everything. Then I rinsed everything with water at low pressure. It looks pretty clean. It didn't happen right away, but after the second or third start up my Brake and ABS lights came on (the DSC light has been on by itself for a couple of years--a known issue). Is this a coincidence? My Peake code reader shows no codes. I also washed the wheels with a high pressure spray, if that matters. Otherwise, the car is fine.
Ads by Google
Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 m3/2003 540/6
bump....

i'd like to see an answer to this one too....
Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Did you cover electrical components whilst hosing down the engine? It sounds like water has gotten into the DSC control module... hopefully its not permanent damage.

Sent from my ADR6300

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

2003 530iA - Mumbo Jumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:26 AM

I did not cover electrical components. After my post I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the lights, but they stayed on. But on the next start up the Brake and ABS lights went off and they've stayed off. I'm guessing it was water in the system somewhere. IMO, if you have to cover all electrical components before lightly washing the engine bay it's not worth it. There are electrical components/connectors everywhere under the hood!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
the DSC light has been on by itself for a couple of years--a known issue
You really should get that fixed!
- All about DSC (1-pdf) (2-pdf) & comparisons to ASC+T (1)

Quote:
my Brake and ABS lights came on
We call that the 'bifecta' ... which, happens, eventually, to everyone. Actually, you temporarily had the 'trifecta', since you said you have DSC on all the time in addition to the bifecta.

Quote:
My Peake code reader shows no codes.
We found that the diagnostic scanners are next to useless, in most cases, simply because they don't hook up BETWEEN the components of the system.

In most cases, with the ABS, DSC, and BRAKE lights, all you need is a DMM:

Quote:
I also washed the wheels with a high pressure spray
Bingo! Wheel speed sensor!

Quote:
I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the lights
Methinks this is an old wive's tale that disconnecting the battery resets the lights. Where'd you get this idea?

Quote:
on the next start up the Brake and ABS lights went off and they've stayed off.
I suspect a wheel speed sensor shorted out from the water. However, the bifecta and trifecta are notoriously fickle, so, keep an eye on that cluster!

Quote:
There are electrical components/connectors everywhere under the hood!
You want to take care to NOT wet these particular ones.

For more detail, see:

- All about DSC (1-pdf) (2-pdf) & comparisons to ASC+T (1) & how to diagnose & fix the ABS DSC (or ASC) BRAKE trifecta (1) or the amber ABS DSC (or ASC) bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) or just the DSC light (1) & what is the ABS control module testing pinout for the older E39s (1) & what is the logic of ABS diagnostics (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to test the brake pressure sensor (1) & how to autopsy & fix your Bosch ABS control module yourself for free (1) (2) & what anomalies occur while the ABS control module is out of your vehicle for repair (1) (2) (3) & how to replace wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & why you want OEM wheel speed sensors (1) & what happens if you don't code your VIN into a new/salvage ABS control module (1) & how to test (and align) your E39 DSC steering wheel sensors (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to turn off DSC traction control (1) (2).
Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 AM

I can't remember the exact thread, but I recall someone saying that they disconnected the battery to reset the Brake and ABS lights. As I said, it did not work for me.

The DSC light has been on for some time. When it came on a couple of years ago (along with the Brake and ABS lights) I took it to my indy and he said it was a bad module. A different indy (not the one I usually use) said it was the precharge pump. I posted about the pump issue here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=dsc+pump. The dealer agreed with my regular indy that the module was bad. I sent it off to one of the companies (recommended here--I can't remember the name) that fixes the modules (twice) and they said it is fixed according to their diagnostics, but my DSC light stays lit but the Brake and ABS lights are off. They said they would honor the warranty if I decide to have it fixed. The estimates by the indys and the dealer to fix it range from $900 to $1300. At this time, it's not worth it to me to have it fixed.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
bump....

i'd like to see an answer to this one too....
the answer is simple
don't use water to clean your engine !

Last edited by champaign777; 04-17-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Would there be any negative effects to fabricating a housing to put over these sensitive items? If you can't wash the engine bay, what happens if it rains hard...?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
the answer is simple
Before doing this I read a thread where the debate was whether you can use HIGH PRESSURE water to clean the engine bay. Many posters said there is no problem with using a high pressure water stream. Most said water was fine, just don't use high pressure. I recall one poster said just be sure to cover the PS reservoir with plastic so water does not get into the weep hole on top. I was careful around the PS reservoir. In any event, the lights have remained off--no apparent damage.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Quote:
I can't remember the exact thread, but I recall someone saying that they disconnected the battery to reset the Brake and ABS lights. As I said, it did not work for me.

The DSC light has been on for some time. When it came on a couple of years ago (along with the Brake and ABS lights) I took it to my indy and he said it was a bad module. A different indy (not the one I usually use) said it was the precharge pump. I posted about the pump issue here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=dsc+pump. The dealer agreed with my regular indy that the module was bad. I sent it off to one of the companies (recommended here--I can't remember the name) that fixes the modules (twice) and they said it is fixed according to their diagnostics, but my DSC light stays lit but the Brake and ABS lights are off. They said they would honor the warranty if I decide to have it fixed. The estimates by the indys and the dealer to fix it range from $900 to $1300. At this time, it's not worth it to me to have it fixed.
I have tried to fixed my ABS module but there was microsoldering involved, for which I don't have the patience nor steady-enough hands. I ended up ordering a new module at http://www.koperformance.com/ for $588 shipped (FedEx next day AM delivery) then got it coded by my indy shop for another $96. Working fine since. My car is a ´99 528i with 110k on it.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Quote:

I apologize for reposting, but I just remembered I have a micrograph of the inside of my module (BOSCH 5.7). The size of the pad which I had to bridge into the resistor is about 1mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7564.jpg
Views:	6271
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	275088  
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E70, 4.8 - 2010 White
Quote:
Today I cleaned my engine bay for the first time. I filled a bucket with water and added some Dawn and gently wiped down everything. Then I rinsed everything with water at low pressure. It looks pretty clean. It didn't happen right away, but after the second or third start up my Brake and ABS lights came on (the DSC light has been on by itself for a couple of years--a known issue). Is this a coincidence? My Peake code reader shows no codes. I also washed the wheels with a high pressure spray, if that matters. Otherwise, the car is fine.
I had exactly the same problem after cleaning the engine bay & the problem was cleared by battery disconnection (Reset).
Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid View Post
I had exactly the same problem after cleaning the engine bay & the problem was cleared by battery disconnection (Reset).
As I said above, the battery reset did not solve my problem. But two or three starts later the lights went off and they have remained off. I'm assuming that the water caused the condition that triggered the lights and that it took some time to evaporate. The lesson here, despite those posters who claim to use high pressure spray inside the engine bay, is to be extremely careful spraying the engine bay with water--even low pressure water. I might have gotten lucky that there (apparently) is no lasting damage. It's really too bad because my method was very easy and it took all of about 5 minutes and the results were very good.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
- What fluids do you recommend for E39 engine bay degreasing, cleaning, & detailing?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psobron View Post
I apologize for reposting, but I just remembered I have a micrograph of the inside of my module (BOSCH 5.7). The size of the pad which I had to bridge into the resistor is about 1mm.
For the record, I added this wonderful picture to the canonical ABS autopsy thread:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > removing "snot-like" goo from ABS circuit board!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
the battery reset did not solve my problem.
I suspect that procedure is bogus. But, if anyone can find a BMW TIS saying otherwise, I'm all ears.

Quote:
But two or three starts later the lights went off and they have remained off.
That's great. Just realize, that ABS problems are almost always intermittent, at first.

Quote:
be extremely careful spraying the engine bay with water--even low pressure water.
Likewise with the wheel speed sensors (which I suspect was the real problem).
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
My DSC light came on recently with no other lights. The solution I found may help the OP with his DSC light that has remained on for over two years. I have a 1997 528iA. The cable that runs from the Throttle Actuator ADS (a motor-driven auxiliary throttle valve and housing ahead of the standard throttle housing - Bentley Service Manual) had slipped off the plastic guide. When you start the car, it runs through a self test. With the cable off the guide the valve does not move, the test fails and the DSC light comes on (or flickers and stays on if it was on previously). The manual describes the function as this: the ADS throttle valve controls engine throttle intervention based on signals from the DME control module if road conditions, such as slipping driven wheel, warrant reduced engine power.
My guess is not all engines use this method, but I have the M52 and it does. Simply slipping the cable back into the track, adjusting the screw to take up the slack (manual says to adjust cable so that no free play is present), and restarting the car (ignition in position two accomplishes the same thing) cured my problem.

I tried to attach two photos for reference and location.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look.