Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Zuma Man

Mein Auto: X5 35d
X5d Interim Evaluation

Took delivery of my 2011 X5 35d on August 13th of this year. Am approaching 9,000 miles on the odometer. Not a single problem nor complaint. I love this vehicle. I've owned Porsche's, Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, Mercedes of all shapes and sizes, Toyota's, Jaguar's and Lexus cars. This X5 diesel is my favorite vehicle by far. I did not opt for the fancy seats, the head's-up display, blind spot warning, adaptive suspension, 20" wheels, nor sports package. Ordered just about everything else. On extended trips I find the stock seats with the upgarded leather extremely supportive and comfortable. Handling is sublime and I am averaging 24 mpg mixed with 29 mpg on the highway. Living in Central Calif this weekend I had the opportunity to test the vehicle in extreme rainly weather conditions. This "puppy" sticks to the road in driving rain like it's glued to the road. No hydroplaning nor lack of traction at any time. 70+ mph was very comfortable. Then, no matter how fast you're going, there's always that "crazy ass" in the white pick-up that passes you like you're standing still.
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma man View Post
Took delivery of my 2011 X5 35d on August 13th of this year. Am approaching 9,000 miles on the odometer. Not a single problem nor complaint. I love this vehicle. I've owned Porsche's, Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, Mercedes of all shapes and sizes, Toyota's, Jaguar's and Lexus cars. This X5 diesel is my favorite vehicle by far. I did not opt for the fancy seats, the head's-up display, blind spot warning, adaptive suspension, 20" wheels, nor sports package. Ordered just about everything else. On extended trips I find the stock seats with the upgarded leather extremely supportive and comfortable. Handling is sublime and I am averaging 24 mpg mixed with 29 mpg on the highway. Living in Central Calif this weekend I had the opportunity to test the vehicle in extreme rainly weather conditions. This "puppy" sticks to the road in driving rain like it's glued to the road. No hydroplaning nor lack of traction at any time. 70+ mph was very comfortable. Then, no matter how fast you're going, there's always that "crazy ass" in the white pick-up that passes you like you're standing still.
Why do We always have that crazy ass in the old pickup or Honda with "beer can" mufflers trying to pass a BMW or porsche. Sometimes it's a short guy driving a Hummer.

2011 X5 50i
2002 C4 Cabriolet (996)
2011 E 350
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
How has the transition to diesel pumps gone? I did a short survey around my home and found the prices to fluctuate quite a bit...whereas the regular fuel is usually pretty close from station to station.

Any nitpicks to complain about?

Thanks for the write-up...hoping to get mine this week.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Then, no matter how fast you're going, there's always that "crazy ass" in the white pick-up that passes you like you're standing still.
Sorry, didn't know that was you...
Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 AM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Around here, it's the nut in the converted undercover cop car for civilian use. What was your impression on Land Rover, just out of curiosity?
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
This week end you will be getting "the flood" down there, let us know how it handled the deluge. It is really the tires that determine hydroplaning but its nice to know the OEMs handle it well. I will put mud flaps on my 427 K5 Blazer so I don't splash water on you when I go by.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Sorry, didn't know that was you...

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerVSR View Post
How has the transition to diesel pumps gone? I did a short survey around my home and found the prices to fluctuate quite a bit...whereas the regular fuel is usually pretty close from station to station.
I spend most of my time in Eastern Massachusetts and buy most of my fuel there.It's true that diesel prices do vary substantially from station to station but I've found a couple that have pretty low prices (usually a couple of cents less than Premium).Of course,Mass prices tend to be a lot lower than CT prices...particularly when you're talking Fairfield County.

Fuelly
Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Oil Burners Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Hey,Candianrockies....I see you own a MB Blue Tec.I took a new E350 Blue Tec for a test drive the other day and was very impressed.What do you think of yours? If an F10 diesel doesn't arrive here next year,as rumored,I just might go with the E350.

Fuelly
Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Hey,Candianrockies....I see you own a MB Blue Tec.I took a new E350 Blue Tec for a test drive the other day and was very impressed.What do you think of yours? If an F10 diesel doesn't arrive here next year,as rumored,I just might go with the E350.
The ML is a very different machine than the X5. If you could take the best of both vehicles and combine them you'd have an amazing SUV. I actually think the ML is much better looking, but looks are of course subjective. In short:

- X5 is the much sportier drive. ML is more of a luxury cruiser. This fits perfectly as I prefer my X5 and the wife loves her ML.

- Gas mileage is slightly better in the ML, but that is likely attributed to the additional power and the tendency to drive the X5 a little harder.

- Reliablity is ok, at best, on both. We've had 3 CEL's, window motor, temp sensor and a frozen AdBlue resevoir on the ML. X5 has been in for a faulty amp, prematurely low AdBlue, rear bumper clips, a software reflash and 2 CEL's.

- Included maintenance on the BMW is comforting. Swallowing $500-$1000 services on the ML is difficult. (Though I fully realize the service "fees" for the X5 were built into the original purchase price essentially).

- The new iDrive is light years ahead of the COMMAND that we have.

- I actually prefer the stalk mounted gear shifter on the ML vs. the joystick in the X5. Being on the column frees up space in the console and makes it much easier to handle things. I also find it odd that the X5 doesn't come with paddles like the ML. (Although this may have been fixed on the latest ones. )

After that the comparisons really aren't fair. Our ML is not fully loaded like our X5 as it was bought more to transport our 100 lb pup.

Both are good vehicles that cater to different buyers. The ML will be the first vehicle leaving our garage as we've decided that we really don't need two SUV's. I would not buy a non-diesel SUV again, however.

Hope this helps!

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
- Reliablity is ok, at best, on both. We've had 3 CEL's, window motor, temp sensor and a frozen AdBlue resevoir on the ML. X5 has been in for a faulty amp, prematurely low AdBlue, rear bumper clips, a software reflash and 2 CEL's.
Hey,thanks for the details,Rockies.One thing I'm particularly interested in is your experience with AdBlue.I'm contemplating a drive to Thompson,Manitoba next month where,I understand,the typical January low temperature is 25 below Farenheit (don't know what that is in Celcius).This being my first diesel and having only had only one New England winter with it (nothing close to -25F) I'm wondering how you folks prepare your diesels...particularly ones with DEF...for winter up in The Great While North.Any details would be much appreciated.

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 12-23-2010 at 01:07 PM.