Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
2011 328i & 528i--Same engine???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not currently own a BMW. But I'm overseas and dangerously close to ordering one on account of some severe cost savings while in the suck.

I'm predisposed to the 2011 328i Sedan. But I was looking at the new 2011 528i's mpg figures and I just don't get it. From fueleconomy.gov:

2011 528i city 22, highway 32, combined 25
2011 328i city 18, highway 28, combined 22

I realize the transmissions are likely different, 328i-(6MT) vs. 528i-(8AT).

Does anyone know why the smaller, lighter car with the same displacement engine gets the poorer fuel economy rating?
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not currently own a BMW. But I'm overseas and dangerously close to ordering one on account of some severe cost savings while in the suck.

I'm predisposed to the 2011 328i Sedan. But I was looking at the new 2011 528i's mpg figures and I just don't get it. From fueleconomy.gov:

Does anyone know why the smaller, lighter car with the same displacement engine gets the poorer fuel economy rating?
The transmission.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Mostly the transmission. Also, break energy regeneration and other technologies contribute, but on a lesser scale.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post

Thanks for serving! You deserve to treat yourself. I love the new 528i, but of course you will be saving more money with the 328i. Good luck with your purchase. Being in Iraq seems like it would be very justified for that 5 series

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
I had both cars, 328i and 528i with identical engines. My results were the same. The 528i consistently got 2-3 MPG better mileage in city and on highway. They were geared quite differently. The 328i was geared for performance while the 528i was geared more for economy.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post
They were geared quite differently. The 328i was geared for performance while the 528i was geared more for economy.
Just a note to the OP, there is a "DS" transmission mode (sport) which makes the transmission shift sportier -- hold gears longer, etc. This feature is standard and not part of the sport package or DHP (dynamic handling package) or "Sport transmission".

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM

The F10 does not have brake energy regeration. It has a clutched alternator which normally only engages on the overrun.

Brake energy regeneration systems actually perform a portion of the braking force using the system. The F10 does not accomplish this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The F10 does not have brake energy regeration. It has a clutched alternator which normally only engages on the overrun.
I'm slightly confused by this statement. I though the F10 did have Brake Energy Regeneration
BMW: "To supply a battery with electrical energy, the generator (alternator) is usually driven using engine power, which requires fuel. With Brake Energy Regeneration, the generator produces electricity when the driver brakes or takes a foot off the accelerator. Kinetic energy that was previously unharnessed is transformed into electrical energy, then fed into the battery. In this way, electricity is generated without consuming fuel. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Brake energy regeneration systems actually perform a portion of the braking force using the system. The F10 does not accomplish this.
I thought above is what is described as Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
BMW: "Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) supports the driver actively and reliably when braking in an emergency. By electronically monitoring the speed and pressure with which the driver applies the brake pedal, it is able to recognize an emergency braking situation - and instantly ensures that full braking power is applied to the wheels. This automatically puts the brake force into the ABS range of control."

What am I missing?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I'm slightly confused by this statement. I though the F10 did have Brake Energy Regeneration
BMW: "To supply a battery with electrical energy, the generator (alternator) is usually driven using engine power, which requires fuel. With Brake Energy Regeneration, the generator produces electricity when the driver brakes or takes a foot off the accelerator. Kinetic energy that was previously unharnessed is transformed into electrical energy, then fed into the battery. In this way, electricity is generated without consuming fuel. "

BMW: "Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) supports the driver actively and reliably when braking in an emergency. By electronically monitoring the speed and pressure with which the driver applies the brake pedal, it is able to recognize an emergency braking situation - and instantly ensures that full braking power is applied to the wheels. This automatically puts the brake force into the ABS range of control."

What am I missing?
I think you are correct (as usual) .... from the BMW web site, 5 Series in particular says:

"Make use of every Watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine.
BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.
Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery."

BTW, hows that "California Duster" working this week?

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
BTW, hows that "California Duster" working this week?
The California Duster is on vacation. I'm actually glad it's raining. The air is much cleaner, and I run a lot so this is very important to me. More importantly, I like washing the car, and once it stops raining I'm gonna get to use some toys -
Shop Vac
Foam Gun
AirBlaster Car Drier
DA Polisher
Beer opener
Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The California Duster is on vacation. I'm actually glad it's raining. The air is much cleaner, and I run a lot so this is very important to me. More importantly, I like washing the car, and once it stops raining I'm gonna get to use some toys -
Shop Vac
Foam Gun
AirBlaster Car Drier
DA Polisher
Beer opener
Way to go, TJ!
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Way to go, TJ!
If you're in South FL, this is the time of year when you look at all the pictures & videos across the rest of the country and bask in your glory.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
\
What am I missing?
It's a bit of disingenuous marketing by BMW. They're making it sound a bit more grandiose than it is.

The system consists of a clutch that sits between the alternator and the drive belt, and a brain. During acceleration, the clutch is disengaged, which means there is no parasitic drag on the engine from the alternator...normally a big load. When the driver lets off the gas, the clutch engages, which then allows the engine to drive the alternator to charge the car. Only the engine in this case is being turned by the momentum of the car. So it's "free". Essentially, it's a very, very mild hybrid. But the drag on the engine, while significant in terms of MPG, isn't enough to actually slow the car any more than your car equipped with a non-clutched alternator. In other words, not much.

Moreover, when you hit the brakes all of the braking force comes from the friction brakes. The car isn't capable of significant negative g's just from clutching in the alternator.

Saturn's Vue Green Line had the same technology a long while ago. And they called it a "hybrid".

Now, REAL Brake Energy Regeneration, at least to most automotive engineers, means that BRAKING ENERGY is captured electrically. In a hybrid like a Prius, when you hit the brakes, up to a certain point all or most braking will be performed WITHOUT the friction brakes. Don't quote me, as I'm quoting off the top of my head, but I think they are capable of about 0.3 to 0.5 g of deceleration without the friction brakes. Which is a lot. 0.6 g is about what you'd experience when the light suddenly turns yellow.

How is the braking force generated? By turning the motor / generator backward through the momentum of the car. The generator is directly hooked to the drivetrain, so it's turned directly through the car's momentum. In the BMW setup, the engine is spun by momentum, which in turn spins the alternator.

So "Brake Energy", in the mind of an engineer, means energy captured through braking. It takes a certain amount of energy to stop a certain mass from a certain speed. In the case of the BWM, almost all of that energy is dissipated as heat through the friction brakes. In a hybrid, a lot more of that energy is captured.

I hope this makes sense. I don't mean to disparage BMW. It's a good system, and gives good gains for a relatively small cash outlay. Compared to a full hybrid system, it's practically free. But "Brake Energy Regeneration" is a bit of marketing fluff.

Quote:

What am I missing?
Dynamic Brake Control is simply a system that recognizes when the driver is "panic stopping". If it senses a quick enough release of the throttle and a quick enough application of the brake, it will sense that you are in an emergency situation and command the brake system for something close to max braking force REGARDLESS OF HOW HARD YOU ARE HITTING THE PEDAL. It's a system meant to help those who are too weak or slow to apply the brake in a panic. My Volvo and Acura have this. If you let off the gas and hit the brake fast enough (easy to do by left foot braking) the car will think you're trying to max stop and it will activate about 95% of the braking force available. Alll of a sudden, you're hanging by the seat belt. Quite fun, if no one is behind you .

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
If you're in South FL, this is the time of year when you look at all the pictures & videos across the rest of the country and bask in your glory.
True. I will, however, trade some of the fair weather we enjoy for some of the twisty country roads to be found in New England and some other places. The terrain down here is plain flat, and the F10 begs for some hills, twists and turns. The only places where I can pull some lateral acceleration around here are on/off ramps! Well, a road trip along the California coast might be in order... It is just quite far from Florida...

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM

@Needsdecaf -
OK this makes more sense. It's liberal use of the term Brake Energy Regeneration. Yes it's charging a battery, but that battery isn't aiding the propulsion of the car other than to start the car and maintain the electrical systems when the car is off. OK, it seems that the combination of parasitic loss from the alternator and power steering systems that is devoid in the F10 (except X-drive) is combining to aid in the above average fuel economy in a big powerful car. As long as you drive the car in a civil manner it does work.
This begs the question, how long with the battery last in this car? And is it OK to replace the battery with a Costco battery like I have been doing for years, or do I have to buy some stupid $500 battery made by highly skilled Droids on Planet Alderaan?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
@Needsdecaf -
OK this makes more sense. It's liberal use of the term Brake Energy Regeneration. Yes it's charging a battery, but that battery isn't aiding the propulsion of the car other than to start the car and maintain the electrical systems when the car is off. OK, it seems that the combination of parasitic loss from the alternator and power steering systems that is devoid in the F10 (except X-drive) is combining to aid in the above average fuel economy in a big powerful car. As long as you drive the car in a civil manner it does work.
This begs the question, how long with the battery last in this car? And is it OK to replace the battery with a Costco battery like I have been doing for years, or do I have to buy some stupid $500 battery made by highly skilled Droids on Planet Alderaan?
If I may interject, I believe that the battery in the F10 is not a standard battery. I know it is certainly a larger battery, and it seats under the trunk. Yeah, we'll probably have to go to Neptune for a replacement battery, or at least as far as your friendly neighborhood BMW dealer.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i-(SOLD) '00 323Ci
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a key difference between these 2 models.... surely the fact that the 528 & 328 really do have 2 different iterations of the 3.0 liter engine might have something to do with their respective efficiency?

528 > 240hp, 230lb/ft of torque.
328 > 230hp, 200lb/ft of torque.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a key difference between these 2 models.... surely the fact that the 528 & 328 really do have 2 different iterations of the 3.0 liter engine might have something to do with their respective efficiency?

528 > 240hp, 230lb/ft of torque.
328 > 230hp, 200lb/ft of torque.
My understanding is that in the USA the two share the identical engine which is the N52B30. Mechanically they may be identical, but there is of course tuning of the engine, the transmission, exhaust & emission systems and ECU that probably account for the different power outputs.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
A quick fact about the 528 & the 328. My 5 was in for service and was given a 2011 328 and the gas mileage I experianced was an average of 24.3 MPG VS 27.1 in my 528. This was over a week driving as I normally do in a typical work week.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post
A quick fact about the 528 & the 328. My 5 was in for service and was given a 2011 328 and the gas mileage I experianced was an average of 24.3 MPG VS 27.1 in my 528. This was over a week driving as I normally do in a typical work week.
You sure the gas mileage had nothing to do with you treating it like a rented mule? I know when i get loaners I refill them with 87 and I have two driving styles, stop and full throttle.

Over a week in the shop? Yikes, what was wrong with your car?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
You sure the gas mileage had nothing to do with you treating it like a rented mule? I know when i get loaners I refill them with 87 and I have two driving styles, stop and full throttle.

Over a week in the shop? Yikes, what was wrong with your car?
No, actually I drive the loaners no different then my own and I do use premium gas in them. Call me a fool, but for the difference in price per fill-up, I figure what the hell, the car will perform for me while I'm driving it.

But make no mistake, I do see what the loaner's got!

I don't want to jack the thread from the OP, but see the thread titled '528i Cold Start'.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i-(SOLD) '00 323Ci
Quote:
Mechanically they may be identical, but there is of course tuning of the engine, the transmission, exhaust & emission systems and ECU that probably account for the different power outputs.
Can a a different transmission really affect power output? Performance yes, but it doesn't increase hp or torque. Since the additional 10 hp and 30 lb/ft of torque would account for the difference in power output, why wouldn't that also be a significant factor in fuel economy?

I wouldn't discount SOME kind of mechanical differences between these 2 engines. The current 328 and previous 325 engine had minor mechanical differences....where does it say that these 2 don't?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
Well thanks to everyone for the inputs so far. I still don't think we have an answer. Transmissions do not create energy (hp/torque). They may offer increased efficiency. But enough efficiency for the mpg differences cited from fueleconomy.gov? I doubt that.

So, back to the original question... Are these engines the same? TJ said both the 328/528 are equipped with the N52B30 engine. But the hp/torque figures are 230/200, 240/230 for the 328/528 respectively.

From merely a cost standpoint, I know my wife will never drive the car long enough to recover the cost differential. And I don't think she'll want the larger car (we're replacing a 94 Corolla, thus the minor fixation on fuel economy). But maybe, just maybe, she'll throw me a curve ball and like the 528 more, in spite of its size. Either way, I want to know the answers to these questions before we pull the trigger.

Last edited by PartyBoyWA; 12-22-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
You should look into the invoice pricing from Costco...I couldn't believe it.
http://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/b...?trimid=324418

Happy Shopping & Merry Christmas!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Big Fuel Consumption Difference

Out of curiosity, I try to calculate what's the fuel consumption difference between 22mpg (328) and 25mpg (528).

It turns out, 328 will use more than 13.5% fuel than 528 when driving the same distance. I'm puzzled by this big difference...

I think this may be a marketing gimmick to up-sale 335i. don't know...