Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: Civic
328I Broken Cup Holder On Passenger Side

Yesterday while getting into my friends two month old car, I broke his cup holder on the passenger side.

The cup holder is the one next right next to the door.

I have no clue as to how much would they charge to replace it. The part itself would cost around $85.

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the Dallas dealership. The parts department told me that it will cost me around $53 plus tax. They tried connecting me to the Service department but could not get through. Any idea how much would they charge me to do the replacement for me besides the cost of the part itself?

Last edited by abpat2203; 12-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
The labor cost is $0 if you DIY.

From one of the threads on this (it sounds like it happens quite a lot!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
...you can replace with just a Philips screw driver.

Remove the dash trim panel by lightly prying, then unscrew the two (2) philips screws holding in the cup holder. Slide the cup holder out, put the new one in, and replace the screws and trim panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	331.png
Views:	3399
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	259123  
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM

@Majikthese42: Thanks for the picture. I have been looking for something like that.

I am just a tad uncomfortable doing that myself as

a. I know nothing about cars, so a bit nervous about doing it for the first time with friend's new car, not to mention a BMW.

b. My friend is out of the country and he has no idea what has happened to his car. I would own upto it and would prefer if I can get him the best service possible to get it fixed.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335ix
With a previous BMW I owned, I had brought the car in to my dealer to have a cup holder I had broken replaced. I expected to pay for it, but was delighted to discover that they fixed it as a warrantee item. Maybe the policy is to assume that it was the part's fault. Or maybe I was granted a kindness.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
b. My friend is out of the country and he has no idea what has happened to his car. I would own upto it and would prefer if I can get him the best service possible to get it fixed.
You are a good friend, and I commend your efforts. I would ask the dealer if they would install the part after you purchase it, and what they would charge. There is a very good chance they will charge a minimal amount, if anything at all. However, if they try to charge a small fortune, try to find an independant repair shop, or maybe even a Bimmerfester that is local to you that could assist.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Don't Judge Me!

Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
You are such a nice friend

$0 spend
Click at your username
Go to Friends
Then Show all friends
On the right corner
"Break Friendship"
You good to go!

That will be my suggestion.

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein
Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi coupe
[QUOTE=abpat2203;5710302]@Majikthese42: Thanks for the picture. I have been looking for something like that.

I am just a tad uncomfortable doing that myself as

a. I know nothing about cars, so a bit nervous about doing it for the first time with friend's new car, not to mention a BMW.

I hear you.(esp. since its your buddys car.) I get nervous fixing anything mechanical/electrical. But today, i decided to take the plunge and change the dc adapter fuse. Multiple simple steps later when the GPS charger came alive, the feeling i got - priceless. Am sure its not a big deal for all you (expert) DIY-ers.

But then, it wouldn't be possible without your valuable inputs. Thank you bimmerfest !

06 e90 - 103k(retired) packages - Prem., CWP and grin ear to ear.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 PM

@3rd Jet Black: I just hope they are as magnanimous towards me.

@wag-zhp: That is pretty sound advice. Taking it to the delaer and getting a quote would be the best thing to do before I pick up that Philips screwdriver.

@GiaGiaJa: LOL! Wish real-life was that as easy.

@suju: When it comes to stuff that I own, I am pretty hands-on with fixing them...and I pretty good at that, even if I say so myself. Unless it involves anything to do with electricity in which case I prefer to stay miles away. Dying from electrocution is my biggest fear.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
If you're not bad at fixing things, this one appears to be a cinch.

I was nervous the first time I removed a trim piece from the dash. But doing it, I realized what a piece of cake it was to do. You can do most of the pieces with just your fingertips if you find the right place to pull. I would suggest opening the passenger side door to expose the right, vertical edge of the trim piece and then try gently pulling it off with just your fingers. I bet you find that it's easy to do. Once you've got that off, you'll be able to do the rest easily.

Of course, if you're going to the dealer's anyway, you might as well ask them to do it.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
Yesterday while getting into my FORMER friends two month old car, I broke his cup holder on the passenger side.

The cup holder is the one next right next to the door.

I have no clue as to how much would they charge to replace it. The part itself would cost around $85.

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the Dallas dealership. The parts department told me that it will cost me around $53 plus tax. They tried connecting me to the Service department but could not get through. Any idea how much would they charge me to do the replacement for me besides the cost of the part itself?
There. Fixed that for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi Sedan
Where's the RH Cup Holder part itself??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
The labor cost is $0 if you DIY.

From one of the threads on this (it sounds like it happens quite a lot!):

Thanks you SOOO much for this quick schematic of the situation. Helps so much because I've never done much car work myself, although general maintenance and DIY things seem fair enough to me.

HOWEVER, does anyone know where I can find the cup holder part itself? I'm looking for the RH cup holder assembly for the 2007 BMW 328xi sedan (seen above), but want to make sure I'm buying the right part. Is this the correct part:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-10...item3a63eb5fb8

I'm thinking of buying it since it's only 20 bucks, but would like some feedback if everyone thinks it's the correct part for a 328xi sedan, 2007 year. Or, if anyone knows where I can get a cheaper/better one, let me know!

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Just be sure you specify year model "2007". In 2008 and beyond, BMW put a small chrome-looking bar across the front edge. If you get a later model cup holder assembly, that one will have that added shiny bar and the driver side won't (don't ask me how I know )

Doug

Last edited by iwanna330cic; 03-12-2011 at 03:46 PM.