Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Which tires?

I'm getting a 550i , M sport. Ultimately, my choices are to keep the run flats or go with regular tires. If I get rid of the run flats what do you guys do for a spare?

Also, is it worth having summer tires and then switch to all-seasons in the winter or do all season tires do well enough in the summer that there is not a big compromise away from summer tires? The reviews in Tire Rack on the OEM runflats is not good.

I need serious advise.
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by paysonbmw View Post
I'm getting a 550i , M sport. Ultimately, my choices are to keep the run flats or go with regular tires. If I get rid of the run flats what do you guys do for a spare?

Also, is it worth having summer tires and then switch to all-seasons in the winter or do all season tires do well enough in the summer that there is not a big compromise away from summer tires? The reviews in Tire Rack on the OEM runflats is not good.

I need serious advise.
I always carried an off season tire in the trunk as a spare. The Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT tires that were OE on my 650i sport package were max performance tires and I though they were pretty good. I used snow tires in the winter.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
If you can fit an 18" wheel on your car, I strongly recommend the Moda MD-11 from Tire Rack with non-RFT Michelin X-Ice snows as a dedicated winter wheel/tire package. I bought a fifth wheel and tire for a spare, which I tie down in the trunk. T/R cost was under $1,700 (for 5) before mounting by a local NTB store; I purchased the tire pressure sensors separately from the BMW dealer. In retrospect, I should have bought them from the Tire Rack as well because of cost saving.

The newest Michelin X-Ice is nearly as crisp in the way it handles as a good all-season tire. I purposely avoided the Blizzaks because the steering gets so sloppy with them and avoided RFTs because of pothole damage.

With X-drive, and the winter setup I described, I have managed deep snow and ice under terrible conditions where I'm straddling glare ice on the left side and packed or deep, trenched snow on the right. In Minnesota again today we are getting another 5-8 inches now after the 23 we had last week.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: Waiting for new X5d
For a spare this is an inexpensive and as small as you can go option:

225/55-17 Yokohama Avid TRZ tire and a Rial Salerno 17x8 alloy wheel for $235 delivered.
Contact Luke at Tire Rack since he already did the research for me: Luke@tirerack.com

For tires I recommend these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=57751&tab=All

Or for all-out performance and go-kart steering feel choose Michelin PS2.

You will also need a jack and this BMW jack kit fits the 550i, it is expensive but it is of good quality and worth the money in my opinion. The kit consists of a scissor jack, a lug wrench and a tire block all packaged in a nice quality bag and the lug wrench is beefy, chromed and of excellent quality. Retal price is $158.77 but you can get it cheaper from one of the vendors here. BMW part number is: 71106773536 I just bought one this morning

Last thing: living in Arizona makes me think you do not need special winter tires, do you?

Last edited by 1HOT BMR; 12-20-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: F10
How about getting a $75 rim from tire rack and using one of the RFT's as a spare like I did. Stored the other 3 and all four go back at lease end.