Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 01-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: A bucket
About to replace driveshaft, questions

Hi guys, I'm about to replace the driveshaft on my '98 540iA because the center support bearing took a dump. Rather than risk the driveshaft being bent as well, I'm just replacing the whole assembly.

At the same time, I'm going to replace the tranny mounts with ones I got from www.zeckhausen.com, and motor mounts (I think my driver's side motor mount is toast).

Aside from the wisdom DaveZ gave me over the phone the other day (it's a piece of cake Dan!), can anyone who has done this give me a little insight? Specifically:

-Where do I support the tranny when replacing the tranny mounts
-Is there an easy way to jack the engine/tranny up at the same time to replace all those mounts?
-Any tricks to the driveshaft R&R?

Thanks,

DanB
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2004, 07:23 PM
MaxDH

Mein Auto: 540i6
The tranny mounts are a snap. Just follow the destructions that come with them. The exhaust shields are a ******, but just bend them out of the way.... gentlely
I don't think you can safely jack the front of the motor and the tranny mounts at the same time.
I pulled a motor mount when I was swapping my front sway. It is not hard, just take your time and unbolt the mounts from the frame then jack the motor then remove the big nut at the top. Tight squeeze, but doable.
If you look at DaveZs writeup for how to do the sway, he has all the bolt sizes for the motor mounts in there.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:51 PM
MaxDH

Mein Auto: 540i6
BTW... here is a pic showing how you have to bend the exhaust shield out of the way. Hope this helps.
JB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrannyMnt.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	25123  
Old 01-20-2004, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle
BTW... here is a pic showing how you have to bend the exhaust shield out of the way. Hope this helps.
JB
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it... The picture helped me figure out what you were talking about!

-DanB
Old 01-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Dan,

A nice offset boxend 13 mm will minimize any bending of the heatshield you need to do. I have one if you need it.... A 13 mm universal joint socket helps, too. Yep, got one of those, too.

Use your jack in the trunk and a 2x4 to support the tranny...piece of cake doing the tranny mounts...just find a good spot to jam the wood into...no biggie. However, I have to be honest...after the install I didn't really notice that much of a change...perhaps the tranny shifts a bit firmer but that could be my imagination trying to convince me I didn't just toss fifty bucks down the drain.

As Turt said, just do the mounts one at time...don't make things complicated.

Good luck on the driveshaft R&R...take pics so we can learn from your **** ups!

Chris
Old 01-21-2004, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Dan,

A nice offset boxend 13 mm will minimize any bending of the heatshield you need to do. I have one if you need it.... A 13 mm universal joint socket helps, too. Yep, got one of those, too.

Use your jack in the trunk and a 2x4 to support the tranny...piece of cake doing the tranny mounts...just find a good spot to jam the wood into...no biggie. However, I have to be honest...after the install I didn't really notice that much of a change...perhaps the tranny shifts a bit firmer but that could be my imagination trying to convince me I didn't just toss fifty bucks down the drain.

As Turt said, just do the mounts one at time...don't make things complicated.

Good luck on the driveshaft R&R...take pics so we can learn from your **** ups!

Chris
Thx Chris,

I'm going to be using a friend's shop with a lift for the install, so it'll be one of those twisty tower like supports for the tranny (plus wood).

And HEY, how is driving the $hit out of a BMW a **** up?

I think my tranny/motor mounts are or were going because my shifts have gotten a bit "clunkier," which either means new tranny, new tranny software, or failed mounts (please let it be failed mounts!)

-DanB
Old 01-23-2004, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
while you're at it.....

why don't you fix that piece of sh*t hanging off the back of your car! :-P
Old 01-24-2004, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeopener
why don't you fix that piece of sh*t hanging off the back of your car! :-P
Hmm, who do I know in San Diego??? (32 deg N, 117'W). I raised it 3" already... need to start another "fix it right this time" fund...

-DanB