Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740il
98 740iL - Cold start

Hello every one, i have a 98' 740il that WILL NOT START when its colder than 48 degrees. I've gotten a new 900 cca battery, changed the oil and it still spins fast but wont start. Can someone PLEASE tell me whats the problem.
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: e38
Check the ignition system:
- Spark plugs
- Ignition Coils

Do you get any faultcodes?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
I don't have a clue what the problem is, but does it start if it is hotter than 48 degrees? Does it run good after it starts? And what do you mean "it spins fast", does it turn over faster than normal?

If it turns over faster than normal but doesn't start, that is usually a sign that the timing belt/chain has broken, but that wouldn't be temperature dependent, it would never start. I would pull the fuel line that connects to the fuel rail, turn the key, and see if you are getting fuel to the motor. If no fuel comes out, then you either need a fuel filter, fuel pump relay, or fuel pump.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 PM

sorry i changed the fuel filter thinking that could be it....no change..''spins fast'' i meant turns over normal, doesn't drag. when its over 50 the car run like a new car but if i park & it cools past 48, I need a ride. And the fuel pump has lots of pressure.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM

also i changed the plugs and how do i get the codes, the CEL is on but i dont know where to get it read.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM

You could get the codes read by anyone who has access to an OBD2 scanner. You could drive to a shop and they would probably charge around $30 to get the codes read, or you could try a few auto part stores and if they still do scans, they will do it for no charge.

If you are sure that there is fuel pressure when the car is not starting, the next thing to check for is spark. You could try pulling a coil and seeing if there is spark, but first scan the computer for codes.

I really don't have a clue what could cause the car not to start when it is cold out. 48 degrees isn't even really that cold. Knowing the fault code that is stored in the system will probably help diagnosis, but I can't think of a fault that would lead to a car not starting in colder weather. Please let us know what you find out.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 PM

i went to autozone to get the cumputer scanned & they didnt know where to plug it to the car. is it a special scanner or can you tell me where it is to hook it up?
/
Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 PM

There is a wood trim cover on the OBD2 port that needs to be slid out. The port is on the left of the front cupholders.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM

OH ok, about a year ago that cover fell off andi just put it back, never even looked in it. Thankx