Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw x5
auxiliary fan issues

Hello All, can anyone help me with ideas as to possible issues as to why my 2004 x5 air conditioning fan won't come on but a/c works well when car is running ... thanks
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Your wording is a bit confusing, BUT I think you are saying that your AC works well as you are driving BUT it does not run well when the car is stopped and the AC is still on....correct? There are several articles in the forum on this issue all pointing to the aux fan that is on the FRONT of the condenser.

With the car stopped and the AC on, look at the front of the vehicle through the grill, the fan should be spinning. If it is not, then that would be the place to start. It could be a fan issue, you could have a blown fuse (in the glove box fuse panel) or there could be sensor issues that help drive the fan.

Again, do a forum search, there are many articles on fan replacement, etc.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw x5
Thank you ranger2k

Hello, and thank you. Sorry info was confusing but you nailed it. I will have my mechanic check out the fuse as well as the sensor. Thanks again and have a good one !
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
If the 50 amp fuse is blown more then likely the fan is shorting out the fuse. Time to replace the fan. If you are not a DIYer be prepare to spend some big bucks to have the fan replace. OEM fan is between $500 and a $1000 and it's about a 4 hour job to replace the fan, since the front bumper cover and front bumper needs to be removed