Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
2001 X5 4.4 Transmission Issue?

Hey there new to the forum and BMW. Thanks in advance for any advice. As title says I have a 2001 X5 with 4.4i and 5 speed automatic. In regular drive mode there is a hesitation from time to time. Mostly noticeable in the 1500-2000 RPM range while lightly on the throttle at a constant speed( seems worse just after a shift at times). It is not gear specific. Its as if there is a engine or exhaust brake causing it to drop approx. 50 RPM. In regular drive mode it will do this pulse approx. 3 times in concession. When in sport mode it is almost undetectable except for one of these pulses now and then. Condition seems to be more present after the fluid begins to warm. Otherwise all is normal and if you drive it hard it shows no issues. I have no idea the history as I just bought it last week knowing there was an issue. Sorry for the long post just don't want to waste any ones time.
Ads by Google
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 AM
MadBimmerist

Mein Auto: 98 DINAN 5, 03 540iT
Hi Tommy - Does the car lurch into first gear when you are coming to stop from higher speeds? Possibly like when decelerating from 60 MPH to standstill or into traffic? Hesitations like you describe could actually been an engine issue. Could be vacuum leaks or even just old spark plugs not firing at optimum levels. Your car has the M62TU V8 engine which can sometimes have this issue. Also, you can check your MAF to make sure it's okay. Are you able to either scan the car for codes or get it scanned. That is one of the best places to start with diagnosis.

How many miles on the car? Any idea if the transmission was ever serviced?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Thanks for the quick response Aquila. No there is no lurch at all and the transmission is normal and very responsive otherwise. Plugged in my OBD 2 book today. No faults what so ever. MAF readings are consistent even while this is happening. I also looked at the MAF and visually is ok. Pulled top cover no signs or symptoms of vacuum leaks. It definitely feels like the trans (can feel it through the floor) and is 10X better in sport mode. It has 140k km on it and I highly doubt the trans has ever been serviced I also noticed it is running quite hot (as high as 238 degrees F as per OBD 2 book). Which leads me to believe the trans fluid is probably baked. As far as spark plugs I will put some in anyways when I do the valve cover gaskets. I will have to go talk to the local shop we send all our auto rebuilds to and see what they have to say. Is there any updated software that may help? Also some say your never supposed to change the fluid which sounds like a crock of ****

Thanks Again, Tom