Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Is the Extended Maintenance Program worth it...

I have a CPO 2007 328i sedan with 43.5K miles. The original maintenance agreement is set to expire 01/02/2011. Does anyone have any advice on whether the extended maintenance program is worth the $2300 after taxes? I've had the car in for all it's service at the proper intervals. The last time I had it in for service was just before Thanksgiving and the SA said I didn't have enough wear on my brakes to require maintenance and unless I drive the hell out of my car and "really use the brakes", I probably won't make it before the agreement expires.

Also, since my car is CPO, I've got the CPO Limited 2-year/50k mile warranty. I've heard a lot of complaints/questions about what exactly is covered under this program. I get that "normal wear and tear" isn't covered, and I've read the documentation a couple times already. Does anyone have an example of some work they had done that WAS covered under the CPO limited warranty? Any response is appreciated.

I'm in the Seattle area, and BMW Seattle has done all the maintenance work, and except for a few minor things, I'd say overall I'm pleased with their service. The only real warranty work I've had done on the car was the replacement of the door handle locking mechanisms at 38k miles.

Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
The CPO warranty is a warranty extention of some, but not all of the original 4 year/50k guarantee. Your CPO literature should describe exactly what is covered. It has nothing to do with maintenance.

Re the extended maintenance, your probable covered costs will include:

2 Oil Changes - $200
1 60k Inspection - $150
1 Brake Fluid Change - $100
Total of about $450.
These are est dealer costs - your SA can give you the accurate figures.

If you will need both front and rear brakes during the period, add about $1,200 for a grand total of perhaps $1,600. (You can get an estimate on when you will need brakes from the car's computer - check out "Service Info" in your owner's manual.)

So if I were you, I'd stash the $2,300 in a safe account, use what you need for maintenance and then blow the rest on frills like food, gasoline, etc.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 12-22-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335ix
I don't know if this will be terribly helpful to you, but let me share my perspective on the issue. When my last BMW went off lease and the service agreement (at the time free maintenance only covered the first three years) I considered getting a new car. I decided instead that I liked my car well enough that I'd buy it from BMW Finance.

I liked my dealer's service department and I liked the freedom of getting a loaner and not worrying about maintenance costs, so I decided to buy the extended program. It made me feel like I still had a "new" car. I'm not sure if it was a financial value to buy it, but I am sure that it was a pleasure. BMWs are not purchased because they are the lowest cost transportation out there anyway -- they are purchased because they make you feel good. The extention of the maintenance agreement ended up making me feel good. Maybe it will make you feel good too.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
3rd Jet Black...I have some snake oil for sale that will definitely make you feel good. Promise. PM for details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by t020673 View Post
I have a CPO 2007 328i sedan with 43.5K miles. The original maintenance agreement is set to expire 01/02/2011. Does anyone have any advice on whether the extended maintenance program is worth the $2300 after taxes? I've had the car in for all it's service at the proper intervals. The last time I had it in for service was just before Thanksgiving and the SA said I didn't have enough wear on my brakes to require maintenance and unless I drive the hell out of my car and "really use the brakes", I probably won't make it before the agreement expires.

Also, since my car is CPO, I've got the CPO Limited 2-year/50k mile warranty. I've heard a lot of complaints/questions about what exactly is covered under this program. I get that "normal wear and tear" isn't covered, and I've read the documentation a couple times already. Does anyone have an example of some work they had done that WAS covered under the CPO limited warranty? Any response is appreciated.

I'm in the Seattle area, and BMW Seattle has done all the maintenance work, and except for a few minor things, I'd say overall I'm pleased with their service. The only real warranty work I've had done on the car was the replacement of the door handle locking mechanisms at 38k miles.
Thank you.
Between 59K miles and 88K miles under BMW extended warranty:
All six injectors (two injectors twice)
Coil packs
VANOS Solenoids (intake and exhaust)
DME
6AT transmission
Numerous software upgrades
Numerous HPFPs, but covered under its own warranty
2 1/2 weeks of a BMW Field Engineer on-site working on car's issues.
2 1/2 weeks of Dealer troubleshooting hours including compression and leakdown checks
Possibly two turbos, Dealer says it was done, paperwork doesn't actually state that...
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.
I signed off on ~$20K of warranty work. I paid $50.

But this is on a 2007 335i, you have a 328i. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Combat Commuter

With regard to original maintenance warranty question.

I have paid ~$1400 out-of-pocket expenses between 50K and 100K miles in maintenance. Work was done by dealer, Indy, and DIY. No, the maintenance plan is not worth it.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM

@Tom, thank you for your perspective. I'm clear on what is covered/isn't covered under the CPO Limited Warranty and I understand it's not the same as the 4yr/100k warranty. I have a family member that is a mechanic (a real, certified mechanic that works at a European car shop, not someone who does it on the side) and he said he said if I buy the parts, he'd do my brake work for $140. Other stuff, if I supply the parts, he typically charges me $30/hour. He worked on my old Volvo, and did good work.

@3rd Jet Black, thank you for your response. I completely the understand the feeling of a "new" car and feeling good. The ability to get a loaner was nice, too. I'm not interested in doing things on the cheap, but I don't also want to pay more than I should to keep my baby running...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM

@Bcube, thank you very much for your perspective. To be clear, all the work you mentioned in your first posting was covered under the CPO Limited Warranty? If that's the case, cool...And I think I agree with your opinion about the buying the extending maintenance program.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
@Tom, thank you for your perspective. I'm clear on what is covered/isn't covered under the CPO Limited Warranty and I understand it's not the same as the 4yr/100k warranty. I have a family member that is a mechanic (a real, certified mechanic that works at a European car shop, not someone who does it on the side) and he said he said if I buy the parts, he'd do my brake work for $140. Other stuff, if I supply the parts, he typically charges me $30/hour. He worked on my old Volvo, and did good work.
Sounds like a great deal to me - go for it and save the $2,300!

Tom
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
It's insurance. The seller is betting you won't need it (much), and the buyer is betting she will.

It's all a gamble, but the house sets the rules.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Waranty repair coverage does not = maintenance

Warranty repair or repair insurance might be worth it but that is different and
more than a couple of oil changes.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
With regard to original maintenance warranty question.

I have paid ~$1400 out-of-pocket expenses between 50K and 100K miles in maintenance. Work was done by dealer, Indy, and DIY. No, the maintenance plan is not worth it.
Are you having all the oil changes done at the dealer or are you doing them yourself? What maintenance is the dealer doing vs dyi? Also, what oil change intervals are you using, i notice you have quite a few miles compared to most ppl in the forums? I also will be driving my 335i quite a bit for work approx 30k miles/yr, so I am interested in any tips or suggestions you may have.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
I like BMW Seattle (and BMW Bellevue), but...

Quote:
I'm in the Seattle area, and BMW Seattle has done all the maintenance work, and except for a few minor things, I'd say overall I'm pleased with their service.
I've liked BMW Seattle the couple times I've used them and have heard good things about them (I usually go to BMW Bellevue as I'm an eastsider.) However, they're paying for that fancy brand new place; there are several really good independent shops in the Seattle area that are $20-$30 per hour cheaper. Strictly BMW in Bellevue/Overlake, Eastside in Issaquah, many others.

I've gotten my money's worth on two extended WARRANTIES I've bought (stupid Chrysler Minivan transmissions - bought it on purpose), but I would never have made back money on any MAINTENANCE plan. YMMV, but they're almost never worth it.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Mazda6, R90/6 R60/5
Quote:

Thank you.
No, it is a huge waste of money and I am pissed that I threw that money away. It covers maintenance only, things like cabin filters, wiper blades and possibly brake rotors. If your car throws a CEL they will charge you to reset it (they quoted me $150). If there is a problem that need to be fixed, that's not maintenance and you will have to pay full price to get it fixed.

Don't buy it.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
If you think you may need the brakes done, then it may be worth it. If you are pretty sure you won't I wouldn't buy it. N4S
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
i have extended maintenance plan, i have 4 years and 65 K miles left when i got my plan, i think it is not worth it as BMW is is very strict about their maintenance plan now. for example they are not changing rotors with brake jobs anymore, other maintenance items are not that expensive in indy shops.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Between 59K miles and 88K miles under BMW extended warranty:
All six injectors (two injectors twice)
Coil packs
VANOS Solenoids (intake and exhaust)
DME
6AT transmission
Numerous software upgrades
Numerous HPFPs, but covered under its own warranty
2 1/2 weeks of a BMW Field Engineer on-site working on car's issues.
2 1/2 weeks of Dealer troubleshooting hours including compression and leakdown checks
Possibly two turbos, Dealer says it was done, paperwork doesn't actually state that...
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.
I signed off on ~$20K of warranty work. I paid $50.

But this is on a 2007 335i, you have a 328i. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi coupe
My 2007 328xi coupe is 270 miles and one week away from the end of the warranty. I'm not getting the extended warranty or maintenance agreement. Like all extended agreements they're not worth it.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Extended maintenance plans are very good..............for your dealer. The profit margin on these plans is very high. Plan accordingly.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one who considers the free loaner at BMW dealerships during maintenance a significant aspect of the value of the agreement. It's so nice not to have to arrange alternate transportation, and that's worth a lot to me.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Jet Black View Post
I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one who considers the free loaner at BMW dealerships during maintenance a significant aspect of the value of the agreement. It's so nice not to have to arrange alternate transportation, and that's worth a lot to me.
1. If true, for 2~3 service visits, that may have a value of $100 or so - hardly worth the premium.

2. My understanding that the free loaner is a dealership decision and is almost always offered if the car was purchased there - the warranty period is immaterial.

3. Having a good relationship with your dealer is probably more important as mine has always provided a free loaner when needed - whether the car was in or out of warranty. This has included my most recent purchase - a CPO E91 bought from a competing dealer.

Tom
Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
1. If true, for 2~3 service visits, that may have a value of $100 or so - hardly worth the premium.

2. My understanding that the free loaner is a dealership decision and is almost always offered if the car was purchased there - the warranty period is immaterial.

3. Having a good relationship with your dealer is probably more important as mine has always provided a free loaner when needed - whether the car was in or out of warranty. This has included my most recent purchase - a CPO E91 bought from a competing dealer.

Tom
If you're saying that the value of three trips from the dealer and back is about $100 in an alternate car rental, maybe you're right. But that doesn't embrace the convenience of having the dealer arrange for the "free rental" for you, or the extra time it would take you to rent a car somewhere else. Or the alternative of a cab ride with its own unpleasantness.

I'm not saying that one should throw their money away on a maintenance agreement. I'm just saying that part of the whole picture is the convenience that a (at least my) dealer provides. Other nice aspects of this are that if you like your dealer, and continue to use it, software updates or similar issues may be provided that you are unlikely to get an independent place.

As Alpinweiss a few post above notes, selling a maintenance agreement is good for your dealer. Okay, but that's always true for anything you buy from anyone. I don't begrudge my dealer for making a living. I suspect that almost everyone on this site makes a decent amount of money -- after all they're spending quite a bit on a BMW -- yet I'm surprised at how heavily cost-concious most are when it comes to this maintenance issue.

If you really want to save money, do the work yourself. If you're willing to pay for the help, consider all that the dealer relationship provides when you make the decision as to how much "extra" you're willing to pay and who you want to support with your money.

***This is the official end of my Dealer Support speach.***
Old 12-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
If you're saying that the value of three trips from the dealer and back is about $100 in an alternate car rental, maybe you're right. But that doesn't embrace the convenience of having the dealer arrange for the "free rental" for you, or the extra time it would take you to rent a car somewhere else. Or the alternative of a cab ride with its own unpleasantness.
I guess I'm used to my dealer who has an Enterprise office within the dealership so it's just a matter of walking a paper from my SA a few steps to the rental counter. But doesn't any dealer who offers loaners (in or out of warranty) have loaner cars on their premises?

Quote:
I'm not saying that one should throw their money away on a maintenance agreement. I'm just saying that part of the whole picture is the convenience that a (at least my) dealer provides. Other nice aspects of this are that if you like your dealer, and continue to use it, software updates or similar issues may be provided that you are unlikely to get an independent place.
I agree which is why I pay the premium to use my dealer for many (but not all) maintenance items - even out of warranty. My only point is that an extended warranty or service agreement should not be necessary for this level of dealer service.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 12-24-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Combat Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pital View Post
Are you having all the oil changes done at the dealer or are you doing them yourself? What maintenance is the dealer doing vs dyi? Also, what oil change intervals are you using, i notice you have quite a few miles compared to most ppl in the forums? I also will be driving my 335i quite a bit for work approx 30k miles/yr, so I am interested in any tips or suggestions you may have.
Now that I am past 100K, The car doesn't visit the dealer very often. Due to the highway miles, the oil CBS counts down from ~20K miles. Thus, my oil changes are every 10K with OEM oil and filter.

Tips? Just drive it. It is just a car.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
thanks brian for your reply