Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
BMW Tire and Wheel Insurance

Hello everyone; hope all is well.

This past October, when signing my order contract and leaving a deposit, I purchased the BMW Tire and Wheel Protection Plan, BMW's insurance plan.

When I arrived home I realized the effective date was that same day. The following day I contacted the salesperson who helped me, as mine was on leave, and he said that the effective date can be changed to my redelivery date when the car arrived at the dealer.

Anyway, my car arrived yesterday. My salesperson is back and she said that there is no way to change the effective date, which makes no sense!

I'm pretty sure the plan would not have covered damage while in Germany and was, of course, no use while in transit or while it was sitting at the VDC for a month for no reason what-so-ever (don't want to get into it).

I've now lost out on three months of the plan. What should I do?

Thanks and happy holidays to all!

Last edited by dbs600; 12-22-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
The salesman might be correct, i.e. that it is not possible to change the date on the contract but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't escalate this, i.e. if nothing else the dealership should rebate you the cost of 3 months.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
You should definitely escalate this, you have a legitimate concern AND you were told by their salesperson that they would change the date for you. There's a saying that goes, if you don't speak God won't hear you, and even though I'm a secular person, I think it really applies. It's not fair for BMW to charge you for insurance they're not really providing, why don't you threaten to write negative, but informed, reviews on BMW fan sites like this one?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:47 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I will be sure to follow through with this concern and report back with my progress and result. If anyone else has had a similar problem, please advise. In the meantime, be well.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-23-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
BMW Tire and Wheel Insurance can only be purchased at the time of order. One cannot do it after the car is redelivered. You may be bumping into this requirement. Unfortunately I didn't get the BMW Tire and Wheel Insurance. Shortly after my Euro Delivery 550i was redelivered to me. somehow a screw became lodged in my tire. The rear tire had to be replaced with mounting and balancing at a cost of $460.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 AM

Yes, the BMW plan has to be purchased at the time of sale, which is always prior to leaving for ED. So then, does this problem affect all people who place orders for vehicles, ED or not, instead taking one off a dealer's lot? Strange! Imagine the person whose car is sitting at the VDC for months!

Last edited by dbs600; 12-23-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
BMW Tire and Wheel Insurance can only be purchased at the time of order. One cannot do it after the car is redelivered. You may be bumping into this requirement. Unfortunately I didn't get the BMW Tire and Wheel Insurance. Shortly after my Euro Delivery 550i was redelivered to me. somehow a screw became lodged in my tire. The rear tire had to be replaced with mounting and balancing at a cost of $460.
I just picked up my 535xi (redelivery) from Josh Douglas at Elmhurst BMW. I was upgraded to 19" Goodyear Eagle LS2 due to the shortage at the time of European delivery at no additional charge and while they look good, I am a little worried about the higher possibility of the 19" tires/wheels failing more than smaller wheels. I was reading the Goodyear Warranty that came on a CD and it says: that within the first 12 months, they will cover such an injury to the tire with repair/replacement via an authorized Goodyear facility. I did purchase a T/W 5 year warranty from a local BMW dealer in St. Louis - we'll have to see how that works out if I ever need it.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: Now Lexus Buying BMW 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj View Post
I just picked up my 535xi (redelivery) from Josh Douglas at Elmhurst BMW. I was upgraded to 19" Goodyear Eagle LS2 due to the shortage at the time of European delivery at no additional charge and while they look good, I am a little worried about the higher possibility of the 19" tires/wheels failing more than smaller wheels. I was reading the Goodyear Warranty that came on a CD and it says: that within the first 12 months, they will cover such an injury to the tire with repair/replacement via an authorized Goodyear facility. I did purchase a T/W 5 year warranty from a local BMW dealer in St. Louis - we'll have to see how that works out if I ever need it.
Which CD are you referring to? I am assuming you are referring to the CD which came with BMW manual - are you?. I ran this my CA and he said he never heard tire manufacturer offering road hazard warranty. I have the same tires, so you are saying that if the nail pierces the tire(s), Goodyear will fix/repair it in first 12-months - are you not?

Also, why everybody keeps saying that T+W insurance CAN NOT be bought after taking delivery. Again, I checked with my CA and he said it can be.

Uh......I am so confused. Can somebody clarify these points? I did NOT buy the T or T+W insurance while signing the insurance papers since I was not aware of RFT on 19" wheels and pros and cos of these types of tires.

PLEASE HELP. .....just kidding.

Thanks a LOT.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
The CD came with the car manuals. It has the warranties for various manufacturers that BMW uses. I read a post by someone else a few weeks ago on Bimmerfest and was therefore looking for it and it confirmed what I read here. Let me know if you think different after you read the material.

Regarding timing of insurance. The "BMW" tire/wheel insurance as can be found on the BMW website is administered by Safeguard and apparently can be purchased only at the time of initial paperwork (if european delivery - cannot be bought at time of redelivery) is what my research indicates. I think that the fact that the "BMW insurance" is provided by a third party leads to folks saying that there is no "BMW" tire wheel insurance anymore. Several dealers offer after-market insurance - it remains to be seen how well they work when required. I contacted Tina Logue at Autohaus BMW (tina.logue@bmwautohaus.com) for my T/W policy. After a lot of mulling, I decided to get it because I am worried about the 19" wheels and heightened susceptibility to damage. If you are interested, she can do this over the phone/email.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Yes, the BMW plan is licensed by BMW and administered by a third party, which also likely administers its own plan under its own private label name. The nuance about the BMW plan is that it can only be purchased at the time of sale, which leaves me needing to somehow lobby them to change their policy towards my contract, at least, because it is unfair to BMW ED orders, but I don't know how to go about this since BMW Customer Service is not willing to help(!?), stating that it is a dealer matter, etc., etc., etc.

Otherwise, another question: Say I replace the tires on my car with either new ones entirely or winter ones, my insurance plan covers this, correct!? What if I were to replace the rims, and the new rims were damaged, covered as well!? A little confusing because the plan duration is for 5 years and there's no doubt in my mind that the tread on the tires fitted as original will not last longer than 2 years (and no plan covers normal wear and tear).
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Good news! I spoke with an underwriter from Safeguard, BMW's third party vendor, informed them of my situation, and within an hour they called back stating they would change the effective date to the date I drove my car off the lot. Happy I was able to get proper resolution, but questioning why my salesperson, dealer finance manager, BMW Customer Service, etc., were all wholly unhelpful, and, some, even stated it was impossible to change the date. Thanks for everyone’s help and support here.