Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
E30 laptop diagnostic tool?

So I've been looking around since getting a laptop for a diagnostic tool for my E30. I downloaded Proscan (got it free) and its a very nicely laid-out program, however unless I can find a connector for my E30, its useless. I cant find one anywhere, minus one on ebay for $120 bucks. I know snap on sells one for 37... but I dont want to spend that much on a connector that I'm not sure will be compatible with a computer. Anyone with a good software setup or knows where to get a diagnostic plug, please speak up, I'd really appreciate it
Thanks guys (&gals to whom it concerns)

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Ads by Google
Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 PM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
Read this thread... then PM forcedfirebird... i feel as though he probably knows more about the computer aspect of the e30 than just about anyone http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=187598&page=6

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1986 327is
The emulator setup is not really a diagnostic tool, although it can diagnose issues. I have found bad TPS's and the like with it, but it's more for tuning the AFR and spark advance etc. On top of that, it's not that cheap for someone just trying to diagnose, it's $175 just for the black box "emulator"

I have yet to find a setup that really reads the early Motronic - well I should say one that is either common, reasonably priced, or universal - my friend is trying the BMW scan tool he picked up for $500 soon to see if it's any better. Supposedly the Snap-On Solus we have will read 92 Motronic, but it doesn't do anything but give generic codes (which you can do with the stomp test), whereas using the Solus on later model cars, I can see the cam advance in degrees on a double Vanos engine, or even if the brake pedal is depressed. The feedback on the early cars is minimal, not like there's a data stream we can tap into and read all the sensors like what's available for other OBDI makes/platforms.

I have a spare engine harness and really need to go through the diagnostic port and see if we can read all the sensors, even if it took another program or "black box" to organize the data, it would be a big step up. With the emulator we can see everything that's going on inside the ECU, but a lot of it is unknown values.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I feed trolls

Thanks firebird... I was hoping I could use ProScan 9 with my beamer,but it looks as it wont work. However I looked around online and a few sites sold the E30-E46 (I think) computer diagnostic cable kit, which includes all connectors, a little black box,and a computer hook up. Reviews said it was a great scan tool, but I was looking more/less performance and scanning

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
BMW...riceless

Mein Auto: 1987 325is
all the plugs work, but good luck getting that program to work...even if i spoke german, i don't think it works on e30's. got a good plug out of the deal though. thinking of going firebirds route...
Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1986 327is
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with you endeavor?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM
I feed trolls

Well, I was hoping I could take advantage of some of ProScan's features for "bench tuning" as the nearest track is an hour and a half away. Also, it would be nice just to have it for say, scanning, lol. I'm fairly new to the whole software tuning thing, I learned how to tune a car with a carburetor and a V8 ProScan looks promising but again, being a n00b, I could be 100% wrong. I know I'm already gonna use PS for OBD2 cars, I was just wondering if theres any way I could use my computer on my E30. I should add, somehow anyone who needs work on their car but cant afford shops come to me for help, lol (at least among my peers)

Please, call me Chadley