Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 74oil
Angry Changing coil

Happy hoilday bimmer family. I am getting mis fire on culinder 3,6 and 8 if it is the coil does it make a different if i take out coil #3 and put it where coil #1 is and 8 into 7 just the coil that go over the spark plug. I just wanted to see if i get a different miss fire code.

Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
With a multiple cylinder misfire, I would pull the spark plugs and check to see what condition they are in. If you have not done a tune up in a while, there could be enough fouling in the tip of the plug causing a misfire. If you spot any oil on any of the plugs, then that is a sure sign that the valve cover gaskets should be changed.

There are coils on each of the eight plugs on this motor, I doubt that three of them would go bad at the same time.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Thank you. I did see a lot of oil in # 8 spark plugs is Value cover gaskets change a D.I.Y, YOU mention TUNE -UP . When a tune-up is done is just cha nging spark plug is tune-up a D.I.Y JOB. I'll test all three coils for sparks. When i pull the spark plug what am i looking for. (That a good spark plug)
THANK
Old 12-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Yes the Valve Cover gaskets are a DIY job. Just be careful when you put the valve covers back on, that you get the "half-circles" on the back of the gaskets in the correct position on the head before tightening the bolts. This took me more time than anything else on that job when I changed mine.

When you pull a spark plug, check to see if there is black or white corrosion on the tip of the plug where the spark jumps. If you haven't changed them in a while (or ever), you should do it anyway because it is a maintenance item that should be done, and it will give you better gas milage and the motor will run smoother, whether or not it is the cause of the misfire. After the spark plugs gets old, the gap where the spark arcs across the tip of the plug will get bigger, causing a weaker spark. If the spark gets weak enough, it will cause a misfire.

Don't do the tune-up until AFTER, you've changed the valve cover gaskets.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 AM

Thank for your help.
Because you did it before, what you think of the parts. i went on Bavarian. I am not sure of the Valve cover bolt rubber seal do i need it, and how many do i need and also the Lubro Moly Anti-Seize Compound. They mention (upper timing case gaster DO I NEED THAT.

Price Qty Total

12 12 0 141 871 Spark Plug - OEM BMW (for my 2001 740il) $21.95 $175.60
.................................................. .................................................. ..
2012 Lubro Moly Anti-Seize Compound - 100g (for my 2001 740il) $6.95 $6.95
.................................................. .................................................. ..
11 12 9 071 589 Valve Cover Gasket Set - Cylinders 1-4 (for my 2001 740il) $29.95 $29.95
11 12 9 071 590 Valve Cover Gasket Set - Cylinders 5-8 (for my 2001 740il) $29.95 $29.95
11 12 1 726 537 Valve Cover Bolt Rubber Seal - sold individually (for my 2001 740il) $1.00 $8.00
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 AM

First, do not use any anti-seize on the spark plugs. The heads are aluminum and should not need it, plus it will mess with the ground on the spark plug causing a weaker spark.

Second, I think $21.95 is a crazy price for each spark plug. I don't know if the 2001 models called for a different plug, but for my 1997, the BMW dealer was charging me less than that for each plug. I didn't even use the factory plugs on my car because I've heard that the two prong designs of those plugs are garbage, so I went with Iridium plugs ($5.50 each) and have not had a problem since.

The rest of the parts look good though. The bolt seals should be the little pieces of rubber around each of the valve cover bolts, so you would need one per bolt if you chose to replace them, but the valve cover gasket set that I bought came with them. Not sure what brand it was though, as it was a while back.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Again, I thank you. I'll let you know how it work out.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:57 AM

Hi, Balance: It turn out that all ingnition coil are bad, any recommendation on coil, is any coil better than the other. I swap out the bad coil, and did a OBD2 TEST the trouble codes follow the coil and also got no spark out of all coil. Question ?, do i need both coil and boot ,or could i just reuse the boot and just buy the coil.

All the best to you ,and your family for 2011.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 AM

Thank you for the kind words, and all the best to you and yours.

So you tested all three of the coils on the cylinders that had the misfire codes, and all three coils were bad? I've never had that happen before. Is your car only running on 5 cylinders?

I haven't had to change a coil on my motor yet, but these cars are picky when it comes to electronics, so I would go with an OEM coil. I'm not sure what brand the factory coils are, but it usually says it right on the coil. Check around the internet to find the best price for them since you will probably buy three, and coils sometimes are pretty expensive.

As far as the boots, pull the boots and make sure that the coil wire is still inside of each of the boots, make sure that there is no corrosion on this wire, and make sure that the wire is touching both the coil and the plug. Maybe it is the boots that are bad instead of the coils. If the boots look to be in good condition, I wouldn't buy them new, I would just re-use the old ones.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 AM

You gave me an idea i will take the boot off the coil, disconnect the coil from the spark plug and see if any spark come from the coil, i hope that can be done , will that be ok.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Honestly, I've had no reason to separate the boot from the coil on my car, so I'm not sure if it can be done on this style of coil since some coils and boots are "one-piece". But if you can buy the boot separate from the coil, then I'd imagine that the two are designed to be separated, and it should not be a problem.