Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Putting the O in O face

Send a message via AIM to cali311soca
Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6sp
Does this happen with your car?

Can one of you try this and get back with me? When you crank up your car when it's cold, look inside your expansion tank, and does it pump coolant upon start up? I know the thermostat should keep the coolant from circulating until it gets up to operating temperature. I don't know the exact schematics of how the coolant travels, so it might be normal for it to pump coolant into the expansion tank and then the thermostat opens up to circulate through the rest of the block.

I just replaced my thermostat, but I'm still having problems with the heater not getting warm on occasion. It happens very inconsistenly. Now I know you're thinking heater core, but if my heater core was clogged, it wouldn't work all the time right? Or if it had a crack there would be a leak, or smell coming from vents.

For example, I'll crank up my car and after a few miles I notice that my heat isn't warming up. I'll stop, shut off my car, and then crank it back up. Voila, the heat comes on. I checked all my fuses to make sure they were secured properly. And it doesn't take it a while to warm up once I restart it, it usually gets hot pretty quickly.

Just recently did a coolant flush and coolant level is fine and no leaking anywhere under car, or on carpeting inside car.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali311soca View Post
Can one of you try this and get back with me? When you crank up your car when it's cold, look inside your expansion tank, and does it pump coolant upon start up? I know the thermostat should keep the coolant from circulating until it gets up to operating temperature. I don't know the exact schematics of how the coolant travels, so it might be normal for it to pump coolant into the expansion tank and then the thermostat opens up to circulate through the rest of the block.

I just replaced my thermostat, but I'm still having problems with the heater not getting warm on occasion. It happens very inconsistenly. Now I know you're thinking heater core, but if my heater core was clogged, it wouldn't work all the time right? Or if it had a crack there would be a leak, or smell coming from vents.

For example, I'll crank up my car and after a few miles I notice that my heat isn't warming up. I'll stop, shut off my car, and then crank it back up. Voila, the heat comes on. I checked all my fuses to make sure they were secured properly. And it doesn't take it a while to warm up once I restart it, it usually gets hot pretty quickly.

Just recently did a coolant flush and coolant level is fine and no leaking anywhere under car, or on carpeting inside car.
I assume it wasn't getting hot prior to replacing the thermostat or did all this start after the flush and thermo replacement?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Is this happening to the 325 or another car?
Did you get the thermostat from BMW?

Last edited by DSXMachina; 12-28-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Putting the O in O face

It was happening before I replaced the thermostat. My car overheated + I didn't get any heat. That's why I went straight for the thermostat. Yes, bought the thermostat from BMW, but the part is made by Wahler. It's the only brand on any website I found, and I got it from tischerbmw.

It is happening to my 325.

Last edited by cali311soca; 12-28-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
I can't even remember the last time I looked under my hood??
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 12-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Putting the O in O face

Found the problem, which was caused by another problem. Get this.

I started my car, and noticed the fan turned on right away. That told me that something wasn't working properly. I opened my expansion tank and my water pump wasn't pumping coolant thru the system. Which is why I wasn't getting any heat and my car was overheating. What sucks is, when I hooked up the diagnostics, it didn't throw a code and here's why.

You know the whole weak mounting bolts for the valve cover that break off? Well, i've had a slight oil leak in the front right hand side of my engine. I took off my engine cover and that corner bolt was broken off. Well, oil had been dripping right on the connection to the water pump. I wiggled the connection and saw oil seeping out and the pump turned on. So, all I'm going to do is take spray some alcohol into the open connection to clean the oil out and replace that bolt. All in all, I replaced a thermostat for no reason. But hey, now I know that it'll last a lot longer