Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: White 1995 325i
Today I did some work finally. I installed the head unit I had on my other car which I absolutely love, I hated the one that came in there. The easy part was that they are both Kenwood head units so installation was easy. I also pulled the glove box out to run the usb cable into there to plug a flash drive into. While the glove box was out I installed the cabin air filter I bought. While slowly doing all this I pulled the K&N filter out and cleaned that, it was VERY dirty. The vents inside also blow a lot harder now too, but it was hard to see any improvement for defogging the windows because it was -7 F on my drive back to school so I feel like a lot of cars would have troubles keeping fog out of the windows in that weather.

Tomorrow I plan on running over to the dealership to get a new set of the OBC bulbs so I can get that working.

Remaining issues:
-Window in the drivers door doesn't go up or down
-OBC lights are out
-Lock cylinder in drivers door is seized up and won't turn
-intermittent license plate light failure
-intermittent passenger low beam failure
-low beam bulbs are painted blue so they have a sh!tty light output
-annoying exhaust rattle that can only be heard from outside the car
-rear driver side door doesn't open from the inside handle (might be the child lock?)

Anyways, still making progress!

Last edited by EuroDriven; 01-23-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
good to hear good to hear.

nice to see you sticking aroung aswell
Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Nice man. None of your issues sound too difficult. They'll just take some troubleshooting and a little bit of work.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
The outside rear door not opening is most likely due to the arm on the inside of the handle being broken. You need to replace the entire handle. It isn't a hard procedure. Took me less that 2 hrs and I work slowly. There is a DIY here.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=709257

You don't have to worry about moving the window out of the way, since you have a sedan.

Last edited by cj.surr; 01-23-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
The outside rear door not opening is most likely due to the arm on the inside of the handle being broken. You need to replace the entire handle. It isn't a hard procedure. Took me less that 2 hrs and I work slowly. There is a DIY here.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=709257

You don't have to worry about moving the window out of the way, since you have a sedan.
Thanks for that but I guess I made a typo. I meant it doesn't open from the INSIDE handle...But that DIY has useful lock tumbler information. Still not sure what is up with that yet.

I am just trying to do things as I make the money from my Audi part outs. I might be selling the entire parts car to a buddy for $1200 so that will be a good chuck of change to play with if needed. But I really want to get the window on the drivers door fixed because it is annoying not being able to use a drive up ATM or go to drive thrus (spelling?).

I am really itching for spring to come so I can put a wiring kit and my old subs in it, but really I just want EVERYTHING to work how it should and to touch up the paint before I start to mod the car.

Anybody have some insight on my other post that go no attention?

Quote:
Is a Mahle KL66 fuel filter a good choice as a replacement? I am trying to up my MPG currently with maintenance items.

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-E36-325i-is-...ht_2469wt_1139

Price $26.95

Also, since I am seriously considering the DDM (non halo because of price) headlights with HID kit (55w 6000k). Will I need to run new wires to be able to handle that current, and if not will they use the OEM plugs for the head lights that are already in the car? I ask because the previous owner burnt up the headlight harness so 1 headlight doesn't work so I want to know if I should fix the harness, or deal with it until I get the new lights and run new wires.
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
I have no first hand experience with that fuel filter, but Mahle is an OEM supplier, so I'm sure it would be good. I don't know about improving MPGs with it, though.

You can also get it at Pelican Parts for about the same price shipped. You'll probably get it a little bit faster, too.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg2.htm#item6

Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Natasha 95M3

Mein Auto: 95' E36 M3
Your exhaust rattle is proly the seals or rings that go between the cat and exhaust being rusted up or missing. Its 430 and I have the flu so excuse the lack of terminology here. But I had a similar experience and I just needed an exhaust install kit to make it go away. Bavauto has em for like 50$ or something.

My .02
Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Went to the stealership today to get the OBC bulbs. Totally got raped...Was 23$ for 4 bulbs. Oh well...it works and looks fine now.

Remaining issues:
-rear driver side door doesn't open from the inside handle (might be the child lock?)

Total cost of maintenance so far is $167.50 not bad considering $100 of it was a key.

Last edited by EuroDriven; 01-24-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:01 PM

Another issue for the list: The part in the drivers door that has part of the hinge in it to stop the door from opening too much, doesn't actually stop the door from opening too much. (Does this make any sense what so ever?) What is the name of the part?

Also are there supposed to be interior lights for the climate control knobs and such. The 3 buttons on that unit are illuminated but none of the markings around the knobs are.

Also, should the headlight switch illuminate? Can someone with all the interior lights working take a picture of what should be lit up? I will post a pic a little later of how mine looks.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
There is one bulb for the climate control and one for the headlight switch. The headlight switch is always on. Google it, and you will see.

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
There is one bulb for the climate control and one for the headlight switch. The headlight switch is always on. Google it, and you will see.
Very nice. I found a nice DIY for the headlight switch here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=534695

...but couldn't find anything with pics on the climate controls, all I found was this:

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/kb-e36-a...-backlight.php

So I will see if I can get through it with that.

It will be nice to be able to see everything inside the car again.

Just adds more things to the list though! >_<

Remaining issues:
-The part in the drivers door that has part of the hinge in it to stop the door from opening too much, doesn't actually stop the door from opening too much. (Does this make any sense what so ever?) What is the name of the part?
-replace headlight switch bulb
-replace analog climate control bulbs
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGutmannnn View Post
Another issue for the list: The part in the drivers door that has part of the hinge in it to stop the door from opening too much, doesn't actually stop the door from opening too much. (Does this make any sense what so ever?) What is the name of the part?
It's called a Door Brake.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
To do the climate control bulb (its just one) you pull the knobs off (they pull straight out) then remove the two screws in the front plate. You will see the bulb right in the center of the climate control unit.

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
To do the climate control bulb (its just one) you pull the knobs off (they pull straight out) then remove the two screws in the front plate. You will see the bulb right in the center of the climate control unit.
Yup, thats what the link I posted says.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
OEM Hoe....

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 tii
You said you have an intermittent problem with the license plate lights. I've experienced this issue before, this is most likely due to the wires that run from the body of the car to the trunk lid being frayed. When you open the trunk, on the left hand side where the trunk "hinges" are, there is a black rubber tube than runs from the body to the trunk lid. Inside are a bunch of wires, a few of them are for the license plate lights.

Pull back the rubber boot, to the point where it should obviously look like it flexes the most when the trunk opens and closes. More than likely, some of the wires are frayed in here and need to be repaired.

Sorry if my explanation is a little unclear, I haven't been around my car for a while so I'm going off of memory here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmy_bimmer View Post
Oh your talking about THAT hole.. yeah thats an inspection hole
Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM

I have read something about that before but it is only one of the lights and I wasn't sure if it would be that. Also when I got the car I simply tapped on the light with my finger and it started working again for a few days. Might just be a connection or something, but I haven't really looked into it.

-John
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
OEM Hoe....

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 tii
I would still give it a look see, as pulling back the rubber boot and checking the wires takes all of three minutes. And when we had our problem, it was only one light as well, both license plate lights run off of different wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmy_bimmer View Post
Oh your talking about THAT hole.. yeah thats an inspection hole
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM

Yeah I just don't go out to my car much, I live on campus at school. So I usually only ever see it, let alone drive it on the weekends. I will see if I can remember to check it out.

-John
Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Got the 2 interior bulbs fixed for $5.39. Headlight switch was a PITA because the wires were so short!

And the list gets smaller...

Remaining issues:
-Replace from drivers door door brake

Also I was able to make about $200 from my part out this week so it looks like I will be getting some non halo headlights and an HID kit from DDM Tuning. Woot! Finally, headlights that will let me see at night. I would also like to pick up a pair of working wiper blades, but thats lower priority.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM
nothing.

If your wiper blades dont work try to tighten the screw at the end of the arm. thats whats been wrong with mine everytime it didnt work?

Worth a shot.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
If your wiper blades dont work try to tighten the screw at the end of the arm. thats whats been wrong with mine everytime it didnt work?

Worth a shot.
It's not that, they are physically falling apart...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM
nothing.

Just the wiper blades? i have a set you can have... i can get pictures of them if you want. they are White wiperblades.... look expensive and not used? idk... haha

You just have to come pick them up...
Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Awesome, PM me your cell number. Would you be interested in coming to a euro meet at a bar down town tonight? Tons of VWs, Audis, Benzs, I think I am the only bmw, people bring porches in the summer.

Lemme know dude!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Got some things ordered for new Error free LED license plate lights, got ideas from this DIY:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1581171

2 x 10W 47 Ohm resistors for $6.85
2 x 16 LED white plate lights for $5.24

Not bad for $12.09! Will have to post some pictures when I install it.