Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Old 01-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Car Navigation placement and wiring question

I'm thinking of either getting the Garmin 2610 unit or the Magellan 700 for my 330i. I was wondering what the best/most stable place to put the unit and also how best to wire it.

I know our dashes are curved so where do you guys put your units. Also would it be a good idea to just use the cigarette lighter to get power or do something elaborate like trying to hard wire it to the 12 volt junction up in the sunroof control cluster that people use to hard wire their radar detectors and getting a special mount to place it

I hopefully want a clean, least obtrusive place to put it without cutting out parts of the console (i.e. ash tray area). Hopefully permanent. If worse comes to worse then just plugging it in and stuffing it on the dash might be an option.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 525i Sport Wagon
I bought the same unit for my 2003 525it and have the exact same question.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
Here is your answer

here is your answer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	25878  
Old 02-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by heat010
I'm thinking of either getting the Garmin 2610 unit or the Magellan 700 for my 330i. I was wondering what the best/most stable place to put the unit and also how best to wire it.

I know our dashes are curved so where do you guys put your units. Also would it be a good idea to just use the cigarette lighter to get power or do something elaborate like trying to hard wire it to the 12 volt junction up in the sunroof control cluster that people use to hard wire their radar detectors and getting a special mount to place it

I hopefully want a clean, least obtrusive place to put it without cutting out parts of the console (i.e. ash tray area). Hopefully permanent. If worse comes to worse then just plugging it in and stuffing it on the dash might be an option.

1. Get the cig plug for you glove compartment
2. Route the lead wire to the back, by putting a nice coil cover wire over the single wire, so it looks neat
3. Lead the cable near the front air vent, so its out of sight and bring the wire to the right door panel.
4. SQUEEZE the wire into the dash, i can show you pics later..guys.
5. Take the cig plug and route it to the glove compartment cig adapter plug, REMEMBER the cig plug is big..so you ahve to lead the wire the other way around, so cig in the glove compartement first, then lead the end plug from the glove compartement to the dash.
6. The speaker is loud enough to hear in the glove compartment.
7. When mounting get another base sticker, and adjsut for curvature of the dashboard, meaning cut small pieces....then add to the short end of the base....so it accounts for this curved dash.
8. YOU MUST SOOOO CLEAN the dash with ALCOHOL, LIKE lots of it..making it look dry and dull.
9. Measure, then MOUNT, with Garmin unit.
10. Dont make mistakes, cause those stickers are like 4 bucks a piece.
11. Also the adjustable feature VERTICAL adjustment is weak, this must be secured, with double sided tape, cause when ya hit a bump, the garmin repositions itself.

I hope this helps, if ya need pics..ill take em later....Let me know

I dont know the Magellen, but the magellen, doesnt match our dashes....its not rounded
Old 03-05-2004, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2000 323i
Install the ORIGINAL BMW Nav System

Man dont install does sfter market nav system, is better to install the original Nav System.

Email me if you have any questions

RickyD146@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat010