Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Check Engine light (SES) on - 3 times within 5 months

Hi,

- The Check Engine Light came on around Sep 2009. Per the service tech, the first bank of O2 sensors were faulty and had to be replaced (15 Sep 09)
- Within 2weeks, the light again came on and the other bank of O2 sensors were replaced (06 Oct 09)
- Took my car for an oil change on 20 Aug 10. After ~50 miles, the light came on again. Root cause was attributed to the O2 sensors (now replaced under warranty)
- Within 2 weeks, the light came back and 3 injector valves were replaced after ~2 month diagnosis (03 Nov 10)
- The light again came on on 14 Dec 10. And it is now at the same dealer.

Has anyone had a similar experience on their BMW X5 2005 and successfully resolved it? Is this a known issue on the 2005 BMW X5?

Thanks for any advice..
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Codes would be nice before anybody prognosticates.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 AM

Dealer mentioned that codes are proprietary. From my service records, here is the analysis:

15 Sep 09: Faulty O2 sensor (O2 before CAT bank2 found sensor slow to react, replaced sensor)
06 Oct 09: Faulty O2 sensor (Test plan said to replace O2 sensors pre and post, replaced O2 sensor after CAT. checked fuel pressure under load ok. checked alcohol content at 10% also ok. checked mass aire flow meter at 2000 rpm also ok.)
04 Sep 10: Faulty O2 sensor (Found O2 sensor bank2 before cat faulted 22 times, replaced sensor)
03 Nov 10: Found Lean Mixture bank2. ck for vaccuum leaks, none found. ck air mass meter ok. ck injectors from bank 2 and found spray pattern and volume poor, replaced bank2 injectors)
dec 10: Under analysis.

Vehicle only has 30K miles and is X5 3.0i
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
"Dealer mentioned that codes are proprietary." Baloney! I suggest you buy a Peake Scanner or the like and pull your own codes then post them here or other BMW X5 boards. Dealers love people who believe everything they tell them. I sure hope you were not paying for the service visits.
Also a quick FYI: There are long list of problems that cause the SES. I have had three in 6 years. One was a cam position sensor the other was for the Secondary Air Injection. In the first case a new sensor fixed the problem and the second was cured after a length of vacuum hose was replaced. The third was caused by the air hose popping off the MAF. In all cases I pulled codes and did the troubleshooting.
Here is a link for future reference.
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw/
Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Check Engine light (SES) on - 3 times within 5 months

@ Zulu: Three times in 6 years can be understood. But this issue is 3 times in 5 months
I'll take your advice and pull the codes next time.

1. In the interim, hope someone out there (maybe BMW product development) has seen the SES issue occuring this frequency in the past ?!!

2. Also, any good URL that outlines parts covered under BMW emissions warranty?

Thanks,