Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The new X3, at least in base form, is similarly far too soft. I'll try a DHP model if I can, but I'm not holding high hopes.
I'm not sure where you're getting this. When I drove an X3 28i last week it felt nearly as tight as my '09 328 with sport package did. And it blew the Q5 out of the water. I haven't driven an X3 35i with sport and DH-and probably won't until mine comes in later this month-but I can't imagine it feeling loosey goosey compared to older X3.

If I'm being honest, I would sacrifice ride comfort for better handling in a heart beat. But from all the reviews I've read, BMW has found a good balance with the F25.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Well, like I said in my review, the new X3 isn't bad and I'm sure it won't roll over or plow into a tree. It just doesn't have the snappy response.......and I drove my '04 to the dealer. The X3 longer feels distinctively BMW and it never "spoke" to me. Yes, the twin-turbo is fast. Yes, the gearbox is mostly pretty good (I mentioned it was so new that the shifting wasn't smoothed out). And Yes, it'll handle well. But it just doesn't feel quite as lively or sucked down to the road.

On one particular jughandle ramp, I took it at what I thought was a reasonable speed (I think it was about 45mph or 70km/h) and then accelerated moderately mid-corner to test its response. The tester leaned more than I'd expected, the steering was eerily distant, and the salesman told me "uh, this ramp curves a bit more at the end......". I thought "it's an X3 it'll be fine" and kept on, ultimately exited that ramp at about 50mph. Wasn't bad, yet wasn't impressed. I later told him "I'm really missing the EDC, it's too soft."

Of course I know BMW tests their cars on the track and I'm sure that the X3 would be okay. BMW has their target market and their reasoning. It just no longer really fits my bill.

We should all gather for a test drive at the same place and then share opinions.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 01-02-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
I am the OP on this thread so I thought I go take a test drive in 35i w/ZSP just to see if the impression is different or not. Well I have to say with ZSP the ride and handling is a bit better. Instead of "bad", this one is more "tolerable". The steering is still too light and body lean still too excessive for my taste. I guess the raised center of gravity has something to do with the body lean but light steering is not acceptable. All in all, I think one has to decide for him/herself if improved ride comfort, interior space and new technology bits are sufficient to the loss of some handling and driving satisfaction.

BTW, my local dealer (Bellevue) is still pushing for MSRP. After 20 min they were willing to do 2000 over invoice. To me that's still excessive for a car that's not 100% slam dunk. I will wait a bit to see if dealer asking price calms down.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting this. When I drove an X3 28i last week it felt nearly as tight as my '09 328 with sport package did. And it blew the Q5 out of the water. I haven't driven an X3 35i with sport and DH-and probably won't until mine comes in later this month-but I can't imagine it feeling loosey goosey compared to older X3.

If I'm being honest, I would sacrifice ride comfort for better handling in a heart beat. But from all the reviews I've read, BMW has found a good balance with the F25.
I have an 08 328 w/sport package. I respect your opinion but I would say there is no way an x3 28 with sport package can handle anywhere NEAR as tight as 08/09 328 with sport package.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
The OP and several others have aptly pointed out that people's expectations/environment differ substantially. I drove a 2004 x3 prior to an E90 which was prior to the F10, The X3 was FANTASTIC to drive, on smooth roads. At the time I lived in Chicago and there weren't many smooth roads. On most of the side roads and even the interstate the ride was a downright nightmare at times. So much so I ditched it shortly after I moved to Ohio for the 328 which still had nice steering but a much more compliant ride, even on the RFTs. Both of these cars are TOTALLY different than the F10, which is very compliant and cruiser like (w/o ZSP). The F25s I have driven are somewhere in between F10 steering/feel and the 328. The ride is light years better on marginal roads than the '04. If you have all smooth roads I envy you, definitely not the case here, and honestly I don't want to get beat up on my way to work every morning, it gets old. Bottom line BMW has fixed the number one complaint about the E83...the ride. American roads mostly suck and that is just the way it is.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
Bottom line BMW has fixed the number one complaint about the E83...the ride.
Actually, the number one complaint ('07+) has been the auto trans IMHO.
I hope the new ZF 8 speed auto is a winner.
I haven't heard any negatives about it.

You guys are making me itch to test drive the 35i sitting at my local dealer.
Could be dangerous!

If I do, I will definitely report in.

Thanks again to the OP.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
Actually, the number one complaint ('07+) has been the auto trans IMHO.
I hope the new ZF 8 speed auto is a winner.
I haven't heard any negatives about it.

You guys are making me itch to test drive the 35i sitting at my local dealer.
Could be dangerous!

If I do, I will definitely report in.

Thanks again to the OP.
Fair point...there were many issues with that AT...however, I will tell you that the 8sp in the F10 (which I think is the same) is fantastically smooth and responsive. As far as reliability goes, who knows, but haven't been too many problems yet and it has been in the F01 for a couple years now...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
On the new X3, there is no sport package. there is only the sport activity package, to get you the sport seats (a bit steep at close to $1,300). The dynamic handling package is probably an important option and reasonable at $1,400, because of the variable damping it offers, and performance control - a cheap version of the X6 Dynamic Performance Control, works by applying the inside brake during cornering (a pseudo torque vectoring). It is somewhat similar to the new Cayenne PTV+ option.

The biggest issue for me - X3 has no option for spare tire and run flats are again standard. I wonder - does the storage area offer space for a spare?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
The biggest issue for me - X3 has no option for spare tire and run flats are again standard. I wonder - does the storage area offer space for a spare?
No. I peeked instinctively beneath the cargo floor, it's not as deep as I'd expected.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
I finally got to test drive an X28 today. One big bummer was that the X35 had been given to? loaned to? the "Uconn head basketball coach"... not sure what the deal is on that except when I called at 1:30pm they said both were there and at 3pm the Sales Manager said "oh, no - that car has been gone for days now.." nice.

Anyway the test drive: First off - I loved it. I thought the driving position was superb and the armrest, gear **** knob and iDrive controller were right where they should be. I am 5'10" as a reference.

I have been driving my 170 horsepower 1.8Turbo Passat since 2001 (80,000 miles) and my 2008 Honda minivan so of course the BMW felt very upscale. The one I drove had Cold Weather and Premium I think but no nav.

Additionally, it had the beige leather. First on that: the BMW website makes the beige leather seem much brighter and livlier than it is in my opinion. In my 10 year old passat its sort of a yellowish tan that really brightens up the interior. The BMW beige seems a bit dull in comparison. Some may like that better.

The dash (with that BMW simplistic MPG indicator) and the AC and Idrive were all really well sorted out and right where they should be. Commanding position, easy to get into and really good shoulder, head and foot space I thought. Yes, some other cars will have more footwell space, but I thought it was great.

Seat heaters worked great - it was 35 degrees in Massachusetts today as well.

Stock stereo - i did not hook up my ipod nor play a CD but I thought I was ok. Most people know BMW is known for fairly weak stock stereos and this one was better than that but just ok. Personally, I will pay for the upgrade. I think in March these cars will be able to do more regarding Pandora, etc... but most of my listening is Sirius, etc...

Back seat was very roomy and very generous. The luggage boot seemed smaller than some pictures have led me to believe. I sort of wish the back seats got less space and the boot got more space, but hey..it is what it is.

Fold down mechanism was great as I will constantly be putting bikes in the back, etc...

I paired my bluetooth iphone w/out much of an issue and even made a call pretty easily. first time with idrive as well.

Non-sport seats were great for me and I personally didnt see the need to upgrade to sport seats. again personal opinion

The drive: Its weird to see M5 (i.e. you are in 5th gear) and then realize you still have 3 more to go) when shifting in manual mode. In pure automatic, like others have been saying, the x28 seems lost at times in 2/3/4th gear in the 10-35 mPHour range. maybe it needs to 'learn' ones driving style...

in manual mode it was just so much fun. They let me take the car out by myself for a good chunk (30-40 minutes..could have had more) and i had a blast!

Does it have too much / more than expected body lean? hard to say. again, my passat is ten years old and a family sedan to boot. if you are coming from a 3 series you might feel there is too much body roll. i just loved every minute of the ride.

Suspension was really the best surprise. With no active dampers or sport setting, and the 17's, the ride was bmw firm but very well damped. very very well damped actually. I sought out potholes, manhole covers and bumpy roads. Just great.

Sound insulation - not lexus quiet but that is expected. I am sure in the year 2013 or 2014 to get people back in the showrooms, they will have "thicker acoustic glass" in the winshield, add 25 more h Power and increase fuel milage by 2mpg's... etc.. but right now the sound insulation is good and i wouldnt see it as a limiting factor.

Will I buy one? i think so. i also tested the T-reg and they are very very different. The t-reg felt lumbering while this was tight and solid and fun and peppy.

Too bad i couldnt drive the x35 as i really wanted to compare the two. I could see where the x28 would strain a bit and someone might want that additional horsepower. I'm wondering with the 18's and more power in the engine if the ride might be 'busier'... hmm...

Sorry about no pics. if you have questions please do ask. Im no expert but am glad to comment on something if i can...
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW X3, '05 Audi S4
I went with the Q5 3.2L - took delivery on 12/22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
Dix you test drive the Q5? If so, how did you like it compared to the F25?
I decided on the Q5 3.2L to replace my leased '08 X3. I read the posts, early reviews and then saw the new X3 on the dealer lot but it didn't raise my interest at all - not even enough to drive one. In my opinion the exterior looks too much like the old one and having had an X5 previously I had grown tired of the boxy shape - the Q5 looks more athletic and dynamic. Also, while the interior of the X3 looks to be a nice improvement, the Q5 seems more luxurious. In a few short weeks I already can tell it is a terrific replacement; the engine, transmission and driving dynamics suit me. Change is good!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 06 - 325i , 08 TT Roadste
Congrats on your Q5, both vehicles are very good, tough to go wrong with either one.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I am going to test one this Thursday. I didn't even consider the 28 as it didn't seem to offer the improvement I want. More power.

And the other thing I am hearing is, without the dynamic handling pkg this vehicle isn't what it should be.

I'll let you know. And of course my favorite whipping boy.....the stereo.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
I am going to test one this Thursday. I didn't even consider the 28 as it didn't seem to offer the improvement I want. More power.

And the other thing I am hearing is, without the dynamic handling pkg this vehicle isn't what it should be.

I'll let you know. And of course my favorite whipping boy.....the stereo.

---------------------
Very interested in your opinion. I really wanted to test drive them both but dealer suddenly didnt have the 35. bummer.

i am probably not your typical bmw driver, as i am looking for ride comfort and compliance moreso that absolute cornering and dyn. handling but still would love to hear direct opinions of the x3 with and without.

Basically, how is ride comfort of non dyn hand pack vs the three different settings in the package.

and i plan on buying the upgraded stereo no matter what. that is really important to me.

let us know and thanks!!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I didn't even consider the 28 as it didn't seem to offer the improvement I want.
No, no, no... it's not the power, it's the better fuel economy!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Looks like I'm not the only one who finds the X3 a bit........un-extraordinary.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/x3/roa...2.0d-se-driven

Quote:
On the pure handling side, the new X3 turns in precisely enough, doesn't roll too much, and is all very decently competent. But it is also, if we're to be brutally honest, basically quite dull. Ok, so there would be precisely no point in creating an X3 M, because customers, 40 per cent of whom are women, just aren't after that sort of car in this sector of the market. But a bit more feel through the steering would be welcome for those who enjoy driving. Blame the electric power steering - it's needed to help keep emissions in check (far more efficient than a hydraulic system), but it knocks too much of the feel out.

Mind you, just a smidgen more of BMW's Ultimate Driving Machinery would have been a good way of giving the X3 some sort of USP, because at the moment, it feels just like every other premium soft-roader. And when the Freelander has the whole off-road thing tied down, and the XC60 does safety ploddingly well, the X3 is lacking anything blatantly distinguishing. If the X3 steered more like a traditional BMW, that criticism might be answered. We're not talking anything overly sporty, just a little tweak to make it feel like it shares more than just a badge with an M3.

So, there's nothing particularly wrong with the X3, and it's certainly much happier in its own skin. We spent a long time thinking about what to put in the 'we don't like' box, and little sprung to mind - it does pretty much everything you could ask of it. But nothing brilliantly. And that's what you want from a BMW: something that sparkles. It's no longer a niche-filler, but it's also still missing that BMW DNA.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Looks like I'm not the only one who finds the X3 a bit........un-extraordinary.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/x3/roa...2.0d-se-driven
Wow they couldnt be more wrong the opening evaluation. Its handling and cornering (especially cornering) are competent at best. Had to bring my X3 in for the ticking lifter issue so was able to drive the same roads with my X3 and the new 35 X3 within an hours time.

Going around a hard cornering off ramp I had to take my foot off the gas instead of accelerating into the turn like I normally do. It just felt like I was going to tip over at any second.

Unless I can find one with the DHP to drive (and it makes a difference) this X3 is not for me.

Glad I found out now instead of ordering one and finding out later that I could have saved a lot of money and just improved my current X3.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Wow they couldnt be more wrong the opening evaluation. Its handling and cornering (especially cornering) are competent at best. Had to bring my X3 in for the ticking lifter issue so was able to drive the same roads with my X3 and the new 35 X3 within an hours time.

Going around a hard cornering off ramp I had to take my foot off the gas instead of accelerating into the turn like I normally do. It just felt like I was going to tip over at any second.

Unless I can find one with the DHP to drive (and it makes a difference) this X3 is not for me.

Glad I found out now instead of ordering one and finding out later that I could have saved a lot of money and just improved my current X3.
I've driven the 35 and 28 without DHP and one 35 with DHP. I prefer the feel with DHP, but wouldn't say that skipping it ever makes the car feel tippy. I flogged all three cars on some tight corners and curvy on-ramps. The steering feel is a lot less connected than my 328i with ZHP in the car without DHP. But it was still light years better than any other car I've driven in this segment(Q5, Tiguan, FX-35, XC90). Maybe it's the difference in driving styles, but I thought the body roll was negligible to non-existent. With the DHP on "Sport" the car really hunkers down in the bends and the wheel gets a little weightier. I didn't try "Sport +" unfortunately.

I don't know what I can say. Seems like some people are just destined to dislike the new X3. Edmunds, Automobile, Motor Trend and Car & Driver have all been pretty favorable though. And that says something.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Was able to drive both today - 28 and 35. Really -really liked 35 - somehow feel more solid.
Both cars was with sport package and I drove them on Sport+.
Don't feel that 28 is under power - car will be for my wife - plenty of power for her even coming from MDX.
I drove old X3 many times as a rental and it's a big different between old one and new - I have to admit - today's drive is totally change my mind about new X3.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 02-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
Was able to drive both today - 28 and 35. Really -really liked 35 - somehow feel more solid.
Both cars was with sport package and I drove them on Sport+.
Don't feel that 28 is under power - car will be for my wife - plenty of power for her even coming from MDX.
I drove old X3 many times as a rental and it's a big different between old one and new - I have to admit - today's drive is totally change my mind about new X3.
Don't confuse sport package with the Dynamic Handling Package. Sport package is now purely cosmetic. Honestly, the best "for sure" way to tell is to look at the window sticker. The two can be ordered independently of each other. In the pics you provided, neither of the two showroom cars have the all-important suspension adjustability.

Like the 5er, an X3 35i with the Sport Automatic will have the toggle button next to the shifter but it has no effect on handling without the DDC (in the Dynamic Handling package), only the transmission/throttle response. See this example.

It's easier on the 28i since the SAT isn't available. So buttons next to the shifter on a 28i model means it's equipped with the DDC.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Marc,

I have been waiting for this X3 since I ran into the POS 07 AT I owned (not all, but the one I owned). Its actually in my signature.

The first drive was absolutely amazing (having Emily in the car helped to I suspect), but after inspecting the vehicle a couple more times and driving one again I was underwhelmed.

I tend to enjoy pushing G's into the turns of on and off ramps around here a lot so have a lot of personal experience in how mine behaves, the M class X5, the new 35 X3, and the Q-5.

I have to say driving the 35 was very very similar to driving the Q5 in the turns with the exception of the sling shot effect upon hitting the straight away.
I keep asking about the DHP as I have no problem spending the added $1500 provided it will really tune the vehicle for a more sports car drive.

Quote:

I don't know what I can say. Seems like some people are just destined to dislike the new X3. Edmunds, Automobile, Motor Trend and Car & Driver have all been pretty favorable though. And that says something.
Maybe when some folks start taking posession of their new ones they can fill on how it feels and if it truly makes a difference.

Sorry but if I recall correctly, all these same magazines wrote favorably reviews on the MY2007 and then recanted later when the issues with the AT showed up.
EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-21-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Marc,

I have been waiting for this X3 since I ran into the POS 07 AT I owned (not all, but the one I owned). Its actually in my signature.

The first drive was absolutely amazing (having Emily in the car helped to I suspect), but after inspecting the vehicle a couple more times and driving one again I was underwhelmed.

I tend to enjoy pushing G's into the turns of on and off ramps around here a lot so have a lot of personal experience in how mine behaves, the M class X5, the new 35 X3, and the Q-5.

I have to say driving the 35 was very very similar to driving the Q5 in the turns with the exception of the sling shot effect upon hitting the straight away.
I keep asking about the DHP as I have no problem spending the added $1500 provided it will really tune the vehicle for a more sports car drive.

Maybe when some folks start taking possession of their new ones they can fill on how it feels and if it truly makes a difference.

Sorry but if I recall correctly, all these same magazines wrote favorably reviews on the MY2007 and then recanted later when the issues with the AT showed up.
EE
Fair enough. Although I disagree with the Q5 comparison. I test drove the two back to back and found the Q5 to be a real sow in the curves and underwhelming on the highway. The only area that the Q5 beat the X3-for me at least-was interior finish. The Q5 felt like an Edwardian gentleman's club on the inside. Only thing missing was brandy and a cigar. While the X3 felt austere, unimaginative and, well, German. But I've come to expect that from BMW.

The steering conversation is not likely to ever go away. The message boards are full of people like us who buy BMWs for their performance capabilities rather than their perceived status, luxury and style. It's an unfortunate fact that we're in the minority. When I drive through the nicer parts of town, most of the BMWs I see are not being driven by the kind of people who talk about damper control, torque steer and the latest episode of Top Gear. They're more likely talking about birth control, real estate law and the latest episode of Real Housewives of Where-The-****-Ever. So it should come as no surprise that BMW is tailoring more models to this crowd. It's the crowd with the money.

So this brings us to the F25 (and pretty much every new BMW from the last 5 years). The car has grown and has less performance related options as standard. It's a bloody shame. But it's also a damn good car when properly equipped. With the addition of the Sport Package and DHP, the F25 becomes the fastest and-in my opinion-best handling small SUV available. Yeah, it's a drag that you have to add these features. But at least they're available for people like us who appreciate that kind of thing. The X3 can fit the needs and wants of the new BMW owner as well as the purists. While this may not sit comfortably with everyone, just think of it this way; the Desperate Housewives crowd is subsidizing the Car & Driver set. They buy enough cars to keep BMW in the black, thus allowing them to make features like DHP and M-Sport packages available.

My one BIG complaint with the new X3 is that the dynamic handling and sport packages are separate. It would have made more sense to just have a sport package that offered all the benefits in the dynamic handling package.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Fair enough. Although I disagree with the Q5 comparison. I test drove the two back to back and found the Q5 to be a real sow in the curves and underwhelming on the highway. The only area that the Q5 beat the X3-for me at least-was interior finish. The Q5 felt like an Edwardian gentleman's club on the inside. Only thing missing was brandy and a cigar. While the X3 felt austere, unimaginative and, well, German. But I've come to expect that from BMW.

The steering conversation is not likely to ever go away. The message boards are full of people like us who buy BMWs for their performance capabilities rather than their perceived status, luxury and style. It's an unfortunate fact that we're in the minority. When I drive through the nicer parts of town, most of the BMWs I see are not being driven by the kind of people who talk about damper control, torque steer and the latest episode of Top Gear. They're more likely talking about birth control, real estate law and the latest episode of Real Housewives of Where-The-****-Ever. So it should come as no surprise that BMW is tailoring more models to this crowd. It's the crowd with the money.

So this brings us to the F25 (and pretty much every new BMW from the last 5 years). The car has grown and has less performance related options as standard. It's a bloody shame. But it's also a damn good car when properly equipped. With the addition of the Sport Package and DHP, the F25 becomes the fastest and-in my opinion-best handling small SUV available. Yeah, it's a drag that you have to add these features. But at least they're available for people like us who appreciate that kind of thing. The X3 can fit the needs and wants of the new BMW owner as well as the purists. While this may not sit comfortably with everyone, just think of it this way; the Desperate Housewives crowd is subsidizing the Car & Driver set. They buy enough cars to keep BMW in the black, thus allowing them to make features like DHP and M-Sport packages available.

My one BIG complaint with the new X3 is that the dynamic handling and sport packages are separate. It would have made more sense to just have a sport package that offered all the benefits in the dynamic handling package.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT