Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
Rear Washer Motor

My rear washer motor has stopped working. The motor is good. All fuses are good. The rear wiper works when I press the stalk forward to actuate the rear washer motor. I checked the electrical connector and see no voltage while actuating the rear washer. Anyone else have this issue? Relay perhaps? Control Module?
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.6is, 540i and M535i
Hi

I have the same problem with my 2003 4.6is, but mine is with the front windscreen washer, as you mentioned motor is fine. I have checked the relay and it appears to be working correctly, I am not sure if there is a control module or if it might be the stalk itself.

Cheers
Craig
Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0 D BMW 318tds
Can you hear the relay / pump operating when you pull/push the lever ?

If you are not getting 12v to the pump then this won't help but does seem to be a common problem .

To check the filters .

Undo the 3 x 10mm nuts that hold the reservoir in place to allow access to the washer pumps.

Unclip the pump from the reservoir by easing the top of the pump away from the reservoir and then the pump will pull out leaving a rubber grommet . Ease the grommet out and it has a gauze filter built into the bottom.

Mine were gunged up and a good wash in hot soapy water restored the washers to their former glory.

Last edited by marlin758; 01-01-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Drivin' the dream

I have no power at the motor. The rear wiper starts running when putting the stalk in the rear wash position, so I don't think it is at the stalk. I gained access to the relay box in the engine compartment where the washer motor relay resides, but can't get the lid off. Does anyone know a trick how to take that lid off of the relay box without having to remove the wiper arms and windshield trim?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Drivin' the dream

I just got it working! I apparently had two issues. First, the motor was locked as it turns out, but when I plugged in my new motor a few days ago I still had no power. Poking and pushing on the connectors and relays must have done something because this time I could hear the original motor clicking while my son actuated the rear washer. I plugged the new motor back in and now it works. I'm sure the old motor is just gummed up. I haven't used the rear washer in well over a year. I needed the rear washer a few weeks ago while driving through the Smokeys in bad weather.

Last edited by tonywintn; 01-02-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.6is, 540i and M535i
Glad to hear you solved the problem, I had the same with my rear washer, it also ended up being the motor. However this time as mentioned it is my front and the motor is fine (bench tested), I can't seem to get power onto the motor. Will keep at it and hopefully solve the problem soon.
Cheers