Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.
Unhappy Error Codes P0171 P0174

I am ready to scream. I have a 2005 X3 3. with a check engine light on now for 3 months. After taking it to AutoZone..determined both error codes (P0171 and 74). Lean on both banks. Not knowing a thing about cars..let alone an X3 (but learning) I have learned that it could possibly be the MAF sensor or 02 sensors? I need to get this thing to pass DEQ and they also told me those error codes came up.
I have done the following and don't have the funds to take it in. I am hoping my husband can do the work if I can help determine next steps. I am the one with the extra time to figure it out.
We have done the following:
-replaced the air filter
-added some fuel cleaner
-cleaned the MAF with CRC

That is it. We have checked for cracks, but not leaks.

It does run a little rough right now. I am looking for some ideas, maybe someone can help point me in the right direction. What would be reasonable to check next? Also, is there some sort of reset we can do?
We have the airbag light on-who knows why? I read something a while back about the seats being too far forward??? Is there a way to get that dang light off?

If anyone can point me in the right direction with this error code problem that would be awesome. Like I said, I am learning...

Thanks so much.
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Possible

It is possibly the crankcase ventilation system CCV- see this link and search the forum for these codes- http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=p0171
Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I have a 2005 x3, I get the same codes about once a year. I took it to the dealer the first time it happened, they had issues with the K&N air filter I put in and they tested the gas and reported it had 16% ethanol. They put in a factory filter and warned me about where I get gas. Because bad gas and I changed the filter it was not covered under the warranty. For the same price of this repair I purchased my own code reader / reset tool. Now when the "service engine soon" light comes on I read my own codes, clear them and reset the light. I also use the tool to reset the service mileage reminder because I change my own oil / filter and learning to do more.