Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Ben Carufel
Mein Auto: BMW Motorcycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Why didn't you go with the AGM one?
Dealer net on it is $99.
I didn't suppose there was any real advantage that was worth going with a non-stock part. I know, it sounds weird, I just like to use the parts specified by BMW for the M Coupe and M5...
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 00' M Roadster, 07' Mazda
I just got my hands on the Deka 9AGM48 battery for my 00' MZ3. The battery case looks exactly the same as the OEM battery that it replaces including the vent holes on the side. I realize that AGM batteries are fully sealed and should not require venting, however I have also read that Oxygen and Hydrogen can escape from the battery in an Overcharge condition. Should I reconnect the stock BMW vent tube?
H&R/Bilstein, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, LeatrherZ armrest, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeen_john View Post
I just got my hands on the Deka 9AGM48 battery for my 00' MZ3. The battery case looks exactly the same as the OEM battery that it replaces including the vent holes on the side. I realize that AGM batteries are fully sealed and should not require venting, however I have also read that Oxygen and Hydrogen can escape from the battery in an Overcharge condition. Should I reconnect the stock BMW vent tube?
Where did you get the battery? I'm looking for one.

BMW has the vent tube with AGM. I removed it, but will probably put it back.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Where did you get the battery? I'm looking for one.

BMW has the vent tube with AGM. I removed it, but will probably put it back.
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the quick response! I'll go ahead and reconnect the stock BMW vent tube.

I ordered the battery from Remy Battery for $153 shipped to CT.

http://www.remybattery.com/Departmen...e-Battery.aspx
H&R/Bilstein, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, LeatrherZ armrest, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Update:

I just installed the Deka 9AGM48 battery into my 2000 M Roadster. I reused the vent plug and tube from the stock battery without issue as the holes are in the exact same location. The new battery has the same length and width dimensions as the original, but the height is 1/16" - 1/8" taller resulting in the battery cover not sitting perfectly flush with he battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Cover.png
Views:	182
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	156228  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deka 9AGM48.pdf (298.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeen_john View Post
Update:

I just installed the Deka 9AGM48 battery into my 2000 M Roadster. I reused the vent plug and tube from the stock battery without issue as the holes are in the exact same location. The new battery has the same length and width dimensions as the original, but the height is 1/16" - 1/8" taller resulting in the battery cover not sitting perfectly flush with he battery box.
Isn't there a pad on the bottom of the cover?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Isn't there a pad on the bottom of the cover?
The battery cover on my car looks to be all plastic with no pad on the bottom. However, I just pulled the new battery out and found that it was skewed due to a small rubber part in the bottom of the battery box. Cleaning out the battery box and reinstalling the battery allowed the cover to fit properly. In conclusion, the Deka 9AGM48 battery is a perfect fit replacement for the BMW battery.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 2.5, '05 325i
I just purchased and received the Deka 9AGM48 for my 2001 Z3 2.5 but did not notice the vent openings. I will check again later this evening but did your Deka 9AGM48 battery have vent openings?
Is there still the need to vent the AGM battery?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 2.5, '05 325i
Thanks for the help in locating the Deka AGM battery. I'm in Chicago and it was $130 + $15 shipping. I wanted to try the AGM technology. It does have vents and it's all hooked up.
I'd like to try the 9AGM49 for my 2005 325i but the Group 49 is a little longer. I'll see if it's any easy alteration to the base in the car to allow the battery to sit and lock in place properly.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: M3 2006 (on order)
M Coupe / Battery Type

How can you tell if you have a gel, wet, or agm battery?

I believe I have the OE BMW battery and my B&D "Smart Charger" wants to auto select wet as the battery type.

My 01 M Coupe battery is white with the magic eye.

Thanks!

///Z3M
PhoenixYellow::BlackLeather::5mt
AASC 550bhp : Upgrade List and Pictures

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerDevil View Post
How can you tell if you have a gel, wet, or agm battery?
I believe I have the OE BMW battery and my B&D "Smart Charger" wants to auto select wet as the battery type.
My 01 M Coupe battery is white with the magic eye.
Thanks!
Yours is a standard wet cell lead acid battery. Identifiers: white case and magic eye.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3M Roadster
I'm an ex-Optima tech sales guy. Currently Optima doesn't have a size that will drop into the OE location without some sort of modification in the Z3M. During my visit to SEMA this year I ran across the Odyssey guys and they told me that they are releasing EN/DIN sizes by Spring '10. My '00 M Roady takes a group size 48 and I'm definately going in the Odyssey direction, though likely with a smaller, lighter weight model.

FYI, Odyssey and Optima were born out of the same R&D lab here in Denver, the technologies split when Gates sold them off to different companies in the early '90's. The primary difference is construction method. They are both superior to the general AGM product out there because of the pure lead, thin plate technology.

As a result of this technology not only do you get great starting current and longer key off life (slower self discharge) but also far superior hot climate life (because the alloy used corrodes at a much slower rate and the controlled venting pressures restrict out gassing).

Currently, the only EN/DIN AGM batteries available for the US market are built by Varta . . . also, for the record . . . . Interstate batteries are built by the same company that owns Varta . . . aka Johnson Controls (who also makes Autozone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, some O'Reilly and some CSK as well as Die Hard except Platinum which is made by Odyssey). . . . . . gotta love brand marketing.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Correction, DEKA also makes an AGM battery.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Z3M View Post
Correction, DEKA also makes an AGM battery.
So Varta makes the Exide AGM batteries BMW use?

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 11-24-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM

as of two years ago . . . .Varta was the OE supplier to BMW. Prior to that it was company called Hoppeke (JCI bought them out, the bought Varta).

I may be wrong, but i don't believe Exide has ever been an OE supplier to BMW.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
as of two years ago . . . .Varta was the OE supplier to BMW. Prior to that it was company called Hoppeke (JCI bought them out, the bought Varta).

I may be wrong, but i don't believe Exide has ever been an OE supplier to BMW.
From around five years.
You can purchase from any BMW dealer like in TN and pick it up at Exide in CT.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi, MGA, e39
Has anyone tried to slowly rotate a battery, for its rejuvenating effect?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrider View Post
Ron,

Is there an AGM battery that's known to fit in the S54 MZ3 Roadster? If so, is it worth the trouble?

Or should I just go with the new size Interstate (MTP-H6)?
I got an Interstate Battery for $120 a couple days ago. 85 MONTHS OF WARRANTY! let's see BMW put that warranty on their OEM Battery.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermy1304 View Post
I got an Interstate Battery for $120 a couple days ago. 85 MONTHS OF WARRANTY! let's see BMW put that warranty on their OEM Battery.
Better read the small print on your Interstate battery warranty:
"Within 30 months of the date of original purchase, batteries with a total warranty of 85 months will be replaced free of charge (except for taxes and legislatively-imposed fees, where applicable). After the free replacement period and for the remaining number of months of designated warranty period, the original purchaser may obtain a replacement battery of similar size upon payment of a prorated charge based upon the then current published cost per month which is based on the then published List Price of the battery multiplied by the number of full months elapsed since the date of original purchase."

Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
"Within 30 months of the date of original purchase, batteries with a total warranty of 85 months will be replaced free of charge (except for taxes and legislatively-imposed fees, where applicable). After the free replacement period and for the remaining number of months of designated warranty period, the original purchaser may obtain a replacement battery of similar size upon payment of a prorated charge based upon the then current published cost per month which is based on the then published List Price of the battery multiplied by the number of full months elapsed since the date of original purchase."
Well, technically that is 85 months of warranty, just not 85 months of full warranty...

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
"You pay for what you use" Warranty i guess....Just like they do on tires. I think part of the incentive of companies offering Warranties like this, is to sell the customer a product in the future. Tire companies rate tires for 50,000 miles that they already KNOW will not last more than 40,000. They then Pro-Rate a fraction of the tire cost off and sell another set....BUT as far as this battery is concerned, If it fails prematurely around 2 1/2 years with a 7 year warranty, that should be a really cheap battery. When comparing it to the OEM battery of similar cost, I feel better about taking the Interstate.

If the Pro-Rated Warranty is directly proportional when comparing Cost and Time used, it loses $1.41 per month or $16.94 per year....not too bad!

1 Year Replacement: Free
2 Year Replacement: Free
2.5 Year Replacement: Free
3 Year Replacement: $50.82
4 Year Replacement: $67.76
5 Year Replacement: $84.70
6 Year Replacement: $101.64
7 Year Replacement: $118.58

Last edited by Jermy1304; 02-25-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4
Quote:
I'm an ex-Optima tech sales guy. Currently Optima doesn't have a size that will drop into the OE location without some sort of modification in the Z3M. During my visit to SEMA this year I ran across the Odyssey guys and they told me that they are releasing EN/DIN sizes by Spring '10. My '00 M Roady takes a group size 48 and I'm definately going in the Odyssey direction, though likely with a smaller, lighter weight model.

FYI, Odyssey and Optima were born out of the same R&D lab here in Denver, the technologies split when Gates sold them off to different companies in the early '90's. The primary difference is construction method. They are both superior to the general AGM product out there because of the pure lead, thin plate technology.

As a result of this technology not only do you get great starting current and longer key off life (slower self discharge) but also far superior hot climate life (because the alloy used corrodes at a much slower rate and the controlled venting pressures restrict out gassing).

Currently, the only EN/DIN AGM batteries available for the US market are built by Varta . . . also, for the record . . . . Interstate batteries are built by the same company that owns Varta . . . aka Johnson Controls (who also makes Autozone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, some O'Reilly and some CSK as well as Die Hard except Platinum which is made by Odyssey). . . . . . gotta love brand marketing.
Optima is also owned by Johnson Controls. A friend of mine worked there before when a Swedish company (Gylling Optima) owned them and after Johnson Controls bought them in 2000. I interviewed one time when I was up there visiting in the late 90's, he left not too long after Johnson Controls bought them.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 05 Z4 3.0i
Do the new batteries have to be registered like the 5/7-series batteries?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/2007 Z4 Coupe
No, not on the Z3's or E85 and E86 Z4's.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
6-speed manual, CWP, Xenon, Cft. Seats, Premium Pkg, Sirius, Privacy glass
Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
The dealer put in a lower grade 570CCA BMW white case lead acid battery before i took delivery. It has never failed but it's time to be replaced and I am not waiting for it to fail...

Today I picked up the 48EXTAGM from O'Reilly, 760CCA goodness.

Topping it off with the Griot's battery maintainer this afternoon.

It measured 12.7v when I hooked it up, and has an M1 code for Dec 2011 manuf. date so that's all good indication of a fairly fresh battery.
Well I couldn't wait to get back from my trip so I put it in this evening.

Thanks to all of you for tips and procedure, I did it in under an hour. That includes taking the mounting bracket out and verifying the fuel pump wire routing.
Cleaned the area--- All is tight, and now on the tender, after a brief drive around the block. It started right up. I set the clock and reset the windows. all went well the first time around.

I love the forums and now I have a great AGM battery in this ride, like it should be.

Last edited by 330indy; 04-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.