Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Replace battery in key fob?

I have a 2008 335i. Is there a battery in my key fob? If so, how do you replace it?

p.s.
I don't think I have Comfort Access, although I'm not really sure what that is.
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Just another Gear Head!

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi coupe
There is a battery in your FOB but it recharges inductively when it is in the "ignition" slot in your car. Your owners manual talks about it. Make sure and use both of your keys periodically to recharge them.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Don't Judge Me!

Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
You can watch this or similar Video on YouTube save some money but ended up cut yourself in the hand and have to drive to UMC

Or Drive to Desert BMW and call it a day I think you might need dealer help for that.

Ahhh Nevermind...You are MrVegas but live in MD

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia View Post
There is a battery in your FOB but it recharges inductively when it is in the "ignition" slot in your car. Your owners manual talks about it. Make sure and use both of your keys periodically to recharge them.
If the OP has CA, that fob does not have a rechargeable battery. You open the battery compartment by first removing the metal key part, then popping open the cover. Without CA, yes the battery recharges when in the key slot.

It's easy to know if you have CA on an '08 3 series. Your door (or all doors depending on setting) will unlock when you grab the outside handle to get in the car assuming the key is in your pocket or nearby. Also you can start the car without putting the key in the dashboard slot.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 01-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaGiaJa View Post
You can watch this or similar Video on YouTube save some money but ended up cut yourself in the hand and have to drive to UMC

Or Drive to Desert BMW and call it a day I think you might need dealer help for that.

Ahhh Nevermind...You are MrVegas but live in MD
That video shows an E46 key, not an E90 Fob.

OP: If you have comfort access (you really need to find this out - it will be on the original window sticker), then the instructions for replacing the battery are in the owner's manual - it takes a CR2032.

If not, I'd have a dealer do it if the battery won't recharge when you drive the car.

Tom
Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i sports wagon
My FOB is also broken although it does work off and on. It's the non-CA FOB. I'm going to make an appt. next week. While it's the only thing that has gone wrong with my 38-mth.-old car, my gut tells me the key FOB is a high-failure rate part (you think they put the back up key in the FOB out of the kindness of their hearts or as a sign of no confidence?).
Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i, Montego Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest View Post
My FOB is also broken although it does work off and on. It's the non-CA FOB. I'm going to make an appt. next week. While it's the only thing that has gone wrong with my 38-mth.-old car, my gut tells me the key FOB is a high-failure rate part (you think they put the back up key in the FOB out of the kindness of their hearts or as a sign of no confidence?).
There is a key built into the FOB.. But I don't think it will actually start the car, maybe that is what you're referring to?

UPDATE: I misread your comment.. But on a slightly different note, how is your FOB failing?

Last edited by Vulpes; 01-01-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: misread the post
Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i sports wagon
UPD
Quote:
ATE: I misread your comment.. But on a slightly different note, how is your FOB failing?
The car will start with the FOB but the FOB won't allow me to open or lock the car. Today I did about six unique errands and at times it would unlock the car and other times lock the car but for the most part it failed to do either. Same thing happens with the trunk (I have the sports wagon). I use the key inside the FOB to lock and unlock the car when the FOB doesn't do the job.