Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 E39 540IA Steptronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
How many miles on the car?

In The Olden Days, new Guibos were supplied with a steel strap around them. Don't know if that's still true, but, if it is, leave the strap on until all bolts are tight. The strap serves to compress the rubber in order to get the bolts in.

When the nuts are nearly tight do not turn the bolts, but just the nuts. This will prevent twisting the steel inserts.
257,000 KM - excluding the 20,000 + that don't show up due to a non working speedo

Flex disk removed was the original - no steel straps - all bolts slid through like a knife through hot butter

My EX daily chariot - '99 540IA Steptronic

Standard Cosmetic Mods - Staggered wheel set up, OEM ///M Steering Wheel, ///M spoiler, ///M grills, front lip, Muffler delete with 3" SS bent pipe and tip, the rest is stock.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528
Wow all this about how to properly name the part and nothing on how to actually fix it. I enjoyed the read, but need to move on to figuring out how to actually repair my car.

I just love this logo...
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i (E39)
I think this will be a project for me sometime down the road (pun intended) ;-)

Ebonix stated, "Suffered severe vibration under heavy acceleration a few weeks ago." Mine is more light to moderate under moderate to heavy acceleration and goes away once at speed, or if I let go of the gas. Under light acceleration--nothing. It could be a million things including drive shaft, trainy mounts etc. But is my description more indicative of the Flex disc?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
How many miles on the car?

In The Olden Days, new Guibos were supplied with a steel strap around them. Don't know if that's still true, but, if it is, leave the strap on until all bolts are tight. The strap serves to compress the rubber in order to get the bolts in.

When the nuts are nearly tight do not turn the bolts, but just the nuts. This will prevent twisting the steel inserts.
This is quite helpful, thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbennett9 View Post
is my description more indicative of the Flex disc?
I don't know, but typing /vibration in the bestlinks nets these, which may help:
- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5); while highway braking (1) (2) (3) & why it's not rotor "warp" (1); and severe shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with match mounting hints (1) & due to worn drive shaft, flex disc, center bearing, or "giunti Boschi", namely the giubo (pronounced sort of like jew'eebo), and sometimes unknowingly misspelled as "guibo" (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to repair the rear driveshaft seal by the differential (1) or the inner constant velocity (CV) half-drive shaft (1).
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
So if this is bad would my car vibrate like a u-joint was bad. This is my first drive shaft issues with my car. I've only owned it for six months.....
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer01girl View Post
So if this is bad would my car vibrate like a u-joint was bad. This is my first drive shaft issues with my car. I've only owned it for six months.....
Uhm, you do realize this is the E39 5 series forum not the E46 330 forum, right.

Generally speaking, vibration can come from a variety of sources like wheels, engine, drive shafts, braking.

Would help to be more specific your description as to when it vibrates.

Answers may be limited here unless an E39 owner happens to also have an E46.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530i Sport
530 Flexdisk replacement

Have only seen posts on e39 V8s. Do you have to drop the exhaust on the i6 E39s to replace the flexdisk/guibo?