Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Sedan, 2011 X3 35
2011 X3 vs Touareg

Hello everyone - I was wondering if anyone had ever considered the 2011 VW Touareg. In Canada, the fully loaded Execline Touareg comes close in pricing to a fully loaded X3. I had a chance to driver the Touareg with the VR6 engine and it was a pretty good drive. Comfortably weighted steering, decent power, clean exterior lines, similar fuel economy to the X3 and the interior was also pretty nice. Also - only two option packages - sport pkg and a trailer hitch.

I know the two vehicles are in different classes but I just hate it when a "variable" like this gets tossed into the mix. I haven't had a chance to drive the X3 yet as it is not available in our area.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
Tourag is priced more like an X5. If the price is close enough for similarly optioned models, I would say Tourag is a better choice. You get a better AWD (I think), much more interior space and a better road presence. X3 is good if you want something smaller, easier to manuver and park.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 VW Passat 1.8T
i test drove the T-reg a few weeks ago and was ready to really think about buying one before the test drive.

I came away unimpressed. Stickered at 46 with no leather, terrible stock stereo and NO option to upgrade either.

Basically, in North America, there are three versions of the car and thats it. you can get a different exterior and interior color but NO options. Want an upgraded stereo? You have to add $6,000 for the Executive package. Want leather? you have to add $3500 I think to get that option.

Oh there are two options available: trailer hitch and all weather mats.

Nav was nice and I know you do get a lot of content for that 46,000 base price, like nav, heated seats, backup camera... but its just the lack of choice thats a bummer.

Even taking away the lack of options I just didnt love the ride but that is of course very subjective.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 06 - 325i , 08 TT Roadste
I looked at it briefly, very nice looking vehicle and pretty well optioned but I felt more comfortable shopping Audi and BMW's considering the price range these vehicles are in at $45K range.

In the states the resale value and dealer experience is not quite as good as on the upper end brands. That being said I am eying a GTI as our second car soon when the Audi comes off lease.

I was also willing to sacrifice a bit of overall size and storage capability for a more nimble ride and vehicle that was easier to maneuver.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgreen View Post
i test drove the T-reg a few weeks ago and was ready to really think about buying one before the test drive.

I came away unimpressed. Stickered at 46 with no leather, terrible stock stereo and NO option to upgrade either.

Basically, in North America, there are three versions of the car and thats it. you can get a different exterior and interior color but NO options. Want an upgraded stereo? You have to add $6,000 for the Executive package. Want leather? you have to add $3500 I think to get that option.

Oh there are two options available: trailer hitch and all weather mats.

Nav was nice and I know you do get a lot of content for that 46,000 base price, like nav, heated seats, backup camera... but its just the lack of choice thats a bummer.

Even taking away the lack of options I just didnt love the ride but that is of course very subjective.
If a VW stereo bums you out. Wait to you see what BMW offers. My 1984 GTI's stereo was better than the base model offered in my 2008 X3. It's actually my only serious complaint about the vehicle.

Most of my criticism is leveled at the constant lying by BMWNA and their dealers with the standard lines of: "it's supposed to do that", or my other favorite of: "We have never seen that before". Even though there are more than likely hundreds if not thousands of documented cases. For example the HPFP or jerky AT in the GM6 models.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 01-02-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The T-egg is a nice car and the cheapest diesel you can buy in the medium/large SUV segment. While out of the box the diesel is a bit light on power, it can be readily "enhanced" by tuners to a respectable performance level. When the new 4.2 V8 diesel appears in the VW in the US then stand by! The egg is a bit bigger than the X3 and a bit smaller than the X5. A closer match IMHO is the XC60 to the X3. Both are of a size and have 300 hp turbo inline 6's. It will be interesting to see the performance stats on both the "R" XC60 and the X3 turbo when they come out.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The T-egg is a nice car and the cheapest diesel you can buy in the medium/large SUV segment. While out of the box the diesel is a bit light on power, it can be readily "enhanced" by tuners to a respectable performance level. When the new 4.2 V8 diesel appears in the VW in the US then stand by! The egg is a bit bigger than the X3 and a bit smaller than the X5. A closer match IMHO is the XC60 to the X3. Both are of a size and have 300 hp turbo inline 6's. It will be interesting to see the performance stats on both the "R" XC60 and the X3 turbo when they come out.
The XC60 was my second choice before ordering an X3 35i. Great car.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Marc, did you actually get to try the '11 XC60R with the 300 hp?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330Ci ZHP
I've recently test driven both. The Toureg is solid-- absolutely a great, composed ride. Certainly a nice way to move around town or over the hills & thru the woods to grandma's house. Or anywhere else, really. The materials felt good, the seats were comfortable, and overall, the cabin had a high quality air about it.

The BMW is a rocket. I drove the xDrive35i (you can find my detailed driving impression elsewhere in this forum). Of every vehicle I've looked at, it stands out as the ONE that can seemingly do absolutely everything. It's a rewarding vehicle to drive, just be certain to order the dynamic handling package if you're a driving enthusiast. It allows you to put the vehicle in the Goldilocks zone-- you know, not too soft, not too hard; just riiiiiiiiight...

"Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow." -WS
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Marc, did you actually get to try the '11 XC60R with the 300 hp?
Nope, but I did drive a 281hp 2010 at Jim Fisher Volvo here in Portland. Really liked the car. But not sure I could live with it as a daily driver. there are no dealerships in the NW with a XC60R available to test drive.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM

I wondered. I haven't found any in the SFran area either. "They are on the way" is the best answer I can get. We have plenty of Volvo dealers around, not as many as BMW stores of course, I will be looking forward to a good test drive and reading some comparos of both the new X3 and the TXC60R.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.