Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 01-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 M3/4 MT
Question 1st Gear

I'm curious as to whether 1st gear is 'notchy' for all manual cars.

I have an e36 m3, and 1st gear is a little tough to get into when the car is both moving (5-10 mph) or at a stand-still. If I blip the throttle or double-clutch, the shifter usually slides right into gear with no problem. Sometimes, however, the shifter feels as though it's being blocked. My previous car (a Subaru Impreza) was just like this, but I figured it was the build quality.

I just wanted to clarify this issue so as to make sure nothing is wrong with the trans (synchros, any of the gears, etc.).

Thanks for any input!

-Michael
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3
mine is doing the same thing so I would assume it is the car. If you have that problem just go into 2nd and then back into 1st with the clutch still engaged it usually works.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 M3
I sometimes get that problem also. Don't think anything is wrong with the car itself, but it is annoying. In addition to going 2nd-1st with the clutch in, you can also move the car backwards or forwards slightly with the clutch in. Seems to work for me.

Funny thing, I too thought I was the only one with this problem until reading this. Haha.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
Nope, I have heard this complaint from just about every ///m owner. Mine does it, along with the other 4 that I have driven in the past

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: ///M3 sc
Wrong. They do not all do that. It's either worn 1st gear synchros or a worn clutch, or the shifter mechinism bushings are worn. I've owned my car almost 17 years and it doesn't.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: car
Yep, notchy when coming to a stop
I think its a safety feature so you dont downshift into first on accident or something
Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 AM

Mein Auto: ///M3 sc
It is not a safety feature... See my post above.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Just living MY dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsperry View Post
Wrong. They do not all do that. It's either worn 1st gear synchros or a worn clutch, or the shifter mechinism bushings are worn. I've owned my car almost 17 years and it doesn't.
You're right, both my e36's are notchy from the clutch stops. When I remove the clutch stops, there is no problem getting into first. I meant to say that its a really common problem, all the e36's I have driven have been that way (only about 7 cars though)

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 02-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
You're right, both my e36's are notchy from the clutch stops. When I remove the clutch stops, there is no problem getting into first. I meant to say that its a really common problem, all the e36's I have driven have been that way (only about 7 cars though)
So do you think I should remove the clutch stop? I mean it's not that much trouble getting into first but if it's not good for the car I'd take it out.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Just living MY dream

Well, I put aftermarket adjustable clutch stops in my cars (great mod btw), so I can get rid of the problem by just lowering the stop. If you have the stock clutch stop in there, it will already be adjusted all the way to the floor. In that case, I would do a fluid change before going into the trans.