Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
possiable to add keyless ?

anyone know if you can at least add key less ignition..
i know on a MB the push button start will pop out and you can use the key.
not sure if the BMW works the same and if it can be added.
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Yes. Anything is possible.

Cost? WAY more than this gimmick is worth....

Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Agree with ard regarding the cost of getting it done after purchase, and the cost certainly will not make it worthwhile.

But this feature is one that can be quite "addictive" . . . once you get used to it and then drive a car without it, it can be quite frustrating! This is particularly great for women - who can permanently leave it in their handbags and never see it again! True story here - my wife returns from a business trip late at night . . . I had left for another trip earlier in the day, left the X5 at the airport parking, SMSed her the location, somehow the SMS got deleted, she didn't know where I had left the X5, shuttle bus driver asked her to click the key so he can see the light . . . and here is the punch line . . . my wife, in a darkened bus, had no clue which button to press! Unlike her car, which has an open and locked padlock picture as legend to indicate which button is which, the BMW FOB has no such "obvious" markings!

My wife added, you should have seen the expression on the shuttle driver's face - something like I can't believe this! Poor guy had to drive up down the lot to locate her car! My wife, to salvage the situation, explained to the driver how keyless works - once you purchase the car and set it all up, you no longer have to see the FOB again . . . simply make sure the handbag is inside the car.