Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
How did you get soft close doors and the other options that aren't available on US cars?
Ask and be persistent. BMW now (very recently that is) officially recognizes special orders and has a form specifically titled "BMW SPECIAL ORDER PROCEDURES."

If your dealer denies it or says they know nothing about it they are lying or just plain stupid.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
Ask and be persistent. BMW now (very recently that is) officially recognizes special orders and has a form specifically titled "BMW SPECIAL ORDER PROCEDURES."

If your dealer denies it or says they know nothing about it they are lying or just plain stupid.
Really? That may be enough to bring me back into the BMW fold........ah who am I kidding, they're still gonna say no.

Sorry, I'm skeptical of corporations in general. That said, I don't see why BMW AG would say No for a split armrest in the 3er or something small like that. It would greatly improve customer satisfaction without infringing on legal stuff (like, US spec requirements).
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
....and also things like colors and interior choices that are not available here but have no "regulations" impact! Porsche and M-B have had these for years, but it does cost $$$ extra!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Really? That may be enough to bring me back into the BMW fold........ah who am I kidding, they're still gonna say no.

Sorry, I'm skeptical of corporations in general. That said, I don't see why BMW AG would say No for a split armrest in the 3er or something small like that. It would greatly improve customer satisfaction without infringing on legal stuff (like, US spec requirements).
would have to agree with this.. I'm trying to work on a 335d "individual" and it's interesting.. I can get some "options".. but with those options, come other "options", or lack thereof.

Example: I was told if I order a special trim, the premium package would override that "special trim" - so I can either order anthracite maple, or the premium package. And if I order "individual leather", it only comes as "extended" - so other panels are that color - and I would prefer just straight black except for the different leather color.

In all honesty, I'm know adding more "options" costs money - but if people are willing to pay..

Jim E, did you run into the trim/premium package issue with your X5?

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post

Special order info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SpecialOrderProcedures.pdf (1.14 MB, 335 views)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Special order info.
So does your X5 have the premium package? If so, how were you able to do ind. trim AND premium package? I've been told to order the ind. trim extra, then install it later..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Special order info.
Is the process similar for options, like in your case, the Individual Sound? (The pdf has procedures for paint, trim, and upholstery.)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
So does your X5 have the premium package? If so, how were you able to do ind. trim AND premium package? I've been told to order the ind. trim extra, then install it later..
You can order the individual trim separately. They have different option codes like mine.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
No. You can order individual trim. The instructions are not clear.

Best thing for you to do is go on the BMW UK site and see how to configure it.

Last edited by Jim E.; 06-08-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 e90 335d (M-sport)
Individual Program: adding Piano Black Trim to my 335d

Quote:
You can order the individual trim separately. They have different option codes like mine.

Jim, Thanks SOO much for posting this form and your experiences/insights with the Individual program. Much like the ED program, Individual is one of those hidden gems when you plan to order a new Bimmer.

I'm in the middle of ordering my 335d (Sept ED) with Saddle Brown interior (LeMans Blue/Msport) and i'm dying to get Piano Black as my trim option. The dark walnut is nice but man-o-man, the Piano Black is just sweet. I have it in my 2001 A6 (even though it was never offered as a US option), but it took me 2 years of searching through ebay.de and ebay.uk to find a complete trim set; 9 pieces for my A6. Arrgghhh!! I never want to go through that again.

Anyway, I just spoke to my CA and he responded with: "The Individual program is only available for the 7-series"....and as expected, I'll need to be persistent. So, I've included this form with my PB trim request and a copy of the Ind Program pdf for the 3 series (which lists all the codes and options etc). I also added a small quote from Matt Russell just to add some official language from BMWNA:

==============
See also this excerpt from BMW Individual/M Brand Manager Matt Russell:
"All BMW Individual options available to European markets are available to North American customers. Ordering is available through every one of BMW's dealers. There's an order form dealers can put together for customers interested in having Individual work done. The dealers submit that order form old fashioned style (via fax) or they can scan and e-mail it to BMWNA's automotive sales department where there is a contact who receives individual requests and special orders all day long. That contact has a bridge directly to Germany and she'll find out how long it'll take to do whatever the customer is requesting, and she'll reply to the dealer with the timeframe and the price. If the customer is satisfied with the response, they can then go ahead and order the car. Individual is most popular on the 7-series and the M3 and is growing in popularity.

Just make sure your dealer knows about the special order form. If they don't have it or don't know about it, it's available via a quick e-mail to the BMWNA automotive sales department, which every dealer knows how to get in touch with."
==============

Wish me luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBGame View Post
Jim, Thanks SOO much for posting this form and your experiences/insights with the Individual program. Much like the ED program, Individual is one of those hidden gems when you plan to order a new Bimmer.

I'm in the middle of ordering my 335d (Sept ED) with Saddle Brown interior (LeMans Blue/Msport) and i'm dying to get Piano Black as my trim option. The dark walnut is nice but man-o-man, the Piano Black is just sweet. I have it in my 2001 A6 (even though it was never offered as a US option), but it took me 2 years of searching through ebay.de and ebay.uk to find a complete trim set; 9 pieces for my A6. Arrgghhh!! I never want to go through that again.

Anyway, I just spoke to my CA and he responded with: "The Individual program is only available for the 7-series"....and as expected, I'll need to be persistent. So, I've included this form with my PB trim request and a copy of the Ind Program pdf for the 3 series (which lists all the codes and options etc). I also added a small quote from Matt Russell just to add some official language from BMWNA:

==============
See also this excerpt from BMW Individual/M Brand Manager Matt Russell:
"All BMW Individual options available to European markets are available to North American customers. Ordering is available through every one of BMW's dealers. There's an order form dealers can put together for customers interested in having Individual work done. The dealers submit that order form old fashioned style (via fax) or they can scan and e-mail it to BMWNA's automotive sales department where there is a contact who receives individual requests and special orders all day long. That contact has a bridge directly to Germany and she'll find out how long it'll take to do whatever the customer is requesting, and she'll reply to the dealer with the timeframe and the price. If the customer is satisfied with the response, they can then go ahead and order the car. Individual is most popular on the 7-series and the M3 and is growing in popularity.

Just make sure your dealer knows about the special order form. If they don't have it or don't know about it, it's available via a quick e-mail to the BMWNA automotive sales department, which every dealer knows how to get in touch with."

==============

Wish me luck!
Tell your CA to check out the pic of my "unavailable" piano black and BMW Individual sound system (aka EPS) in my 2009 335d.

Tell him to also check out the "unavailable" Individual color on this US 335d.

and this facepalm is how you feel. LOL!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Interesting thread. Where can I find more information on the different paint, upholstery and trim special options, especially for an X5? Did a search, but could not find anything useful. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Interesting thread. Where can I find more information on the different paint, upholstery and trim special options, especially for an X5? Did a search, but could not find anything useful. Thanks!
It's not really promoted or advertised anywhere on BMWNA. Shame...

I would start here:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/e...delfinder.html

This is where I found the pdf for the 3 series individual program/choices. You will find a similar pdf for the X5 and it will include those individual colors/trims/options.

I only wish we had an idea of the additional cost for these options. Maybe BMWNA's point of view is: "you have to ask, then you can't afford it". I think the general rule of thumb on pricing is:
Trim: $1K
Advanced sound/EPS: $2k
Ext color: unsure?
Interior leather: ?

I built my 335d on BMW UK's website to see how it looks with other trims. With BMWUK, you can see some of those Individual options come up and their associated prices (all in GBP though; not $).

Good luck!

Last edited by TeddyBGame; 06-10-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Tell your CA to check out the pic of my "unavailable" piano black and BMW Individual sound system (aka EPS) in my 2009 335d.
Thanks again Jim! The pix of your SB/PB interior were one of the motivating factors for pushing my CA on the PB trim. I had an E92 configured and ordered for my ED and just loved the Bamboo Anthracite trim and how it looked with the Saddle Brown. But when I changed my order to the 335d I was a bit disappointed that dark walnut was the only decent looking trim option against SB (IMHO). DW is nice but the Piano Black is just too darn sweet...and unique...and fairly rare...on what will be a rare 3 series in itself.

I'll report back on my progress with my CA and getting this PB order processed.....
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Sup3rman

Quote:
It's not really promoted or advertised anywhere on BMWNA. Shame...

I would start here:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/e...delfinder.html

This is where I found the pdf for the 3 series individual program/choices. You will find a similar pdf for the X5 and it will include those individual colors/trims/options.

I only wish we had an idea of the additional cost for these options. Maybe BMWNA's point of view is: "you have to ask, then you can't afford it". I think the general rule of thumb on pricing is:
Trim: $1K
Advanced sound/EPS: $2k
Ext color: unsure?
Interior leather: ?

I built my 335d on BMW UK's website to see how it looks with other trims. With BMWUK, you can see some of those Individual options come up and their associated prices (all in GBP though; not $).

Good luck!
I'm working on either an E90 M3 or 335d individual order, but I have a limited schedule for ED, so it may be that the 335d will be out of production by the time I order the vehicle.. which might push me into an E90 M3

For individual options:
Paint = $5K
Individual leather (extended) = $4K
Trim = $1K (est)
EPS = $1900 (est)

I'm sure there are other options, but none that I need..

Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Jim, which hard drive are you using for your audio files? There have been many posts on various boards about larger hard drives that don't work because they need more power than the USB jack provides. Sounds like only 4200 RPM drives work and most are smaller than 240gb, but it seems you have found one that works. Would you mind replying with the model number?

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luper View Post
Jim, which hard drive are you using for your audio files? There have been many posts on various boards about larger hard drives that don't work because they need more power than the USB jack provides. Sounds like only 4200 RPM drives work and most are smaller than 240gb, but it seems you have found one that works. Would you mind replying with the model number?

Thanks.
Aegis mini usb hard drive. Must be the 1.8

http://www.apricorn.com/product_deta...=5&type=family

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Jim E,
Just to put some closure on my ordering process, here is the build sheet (attached) sent to me from my CA to confirm that my Piano Black Trim (code: XE8) had been added. We pickup our D in Munich in early Sept. Can't wait!!

Thanks again for the help and insight!

Cheers,
-Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	286807  
[Le Mans Blue / M-sport / Saddle Brown Int. / Prem. / Conv. / Cold / iDrive / HK Sound / Individual Piano Black interior etc.]
Previous: 2001 A6 Avant [OEM recaro interior / BBS RC's / RNS-E Navigation / OEM Black roof rails / OEM Piano Black trim & lots of other oem gunmetal black parts]
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Jim E,
Just to put some closure on my ordering process, here is the build sheet (attached) sent to me from my CA to confirm that my Piano Black Trim (code: XE8) had been added. We pickup our D in Munich in early Sept. Can't wait!!

Cheers,
-Ted
Congratulations! You owe us some pics when you pick her up.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: Golf VI R
Quote:
Jim E,

Cheers,
-Ted
Did you end up paying retail for the piano black? Or where you able to get wholesale for your ED?
Or is it really, if you have to ask you can't afford it?
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 AM

Retail was about $1K and the ED gave me a slight discount in the $950 range. For me, this is a car that I will have for 8-10 years and I already have the piano black trim in my 2001 A6 Avant (read some of my previous posts in this thread).
[Le Mans Blue / M-sport / Saddle Brown Int. / Prem. / Conv. / Cold / iDrive / HK Sound / Individual Piano Black interior etc.]
Previous: 2001 A6 Avant [OEM recaro interior / BBS RC's / RNS-E Navigation / OEM Black roof rails / OEM Piano Black trim & lots of other oem gunmetal black parts]
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Just picked up on this thread. Questions! Questions!

1 - Can a special order now be performed on an ED car?
2 - How is this stuff residualized?

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
I thought you said you had almost every option ! where's the M kit then ?

That's one huge option you don't have

i do like the colour Combo thou

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Yes
Quote:
Same way as any other option MSRP*residual.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Just picked up on this thread. Questions! Questions!

Quote:
Jim E,

Cheers,
-Ted
I'm picking up a new M3 next month with Piano Black trim in Munich - it's ordered the same way.. just a special form to fax over.

Residualized just like the rest of the car - it's just like any other option, you just have to know how to ask and get the option.

Jim, your help was great! I had an individual interior lined up as well, but just didn't have time to work with the ///M division and get the interior the way I wanted - so I cancelled the rust brown. I'll definitely post a few pics