Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: z4
What is this missing piece?

Hi all,
I walked out to my 2009 Z4 30i over the weekend and noticed I'm missing a piece off the front bumper driver's side. Here's a pic. Any ideas? p.s. I don't know if I'm attaching this pic correctly. It's a small hexagonal (?) shape right under one of the headlights.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000594.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	260775
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Never mind. If I had searched the forum before posting I would have seen that supremeart answered my question. I'm not aware that I have the headlight washers, so I hope this little piece isn't expensive to replace!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabooty View Post
Hi all,
I walked out to my 2009 Z4 30i over the weekend and noticed I'm missing a piece off the front bumper driver's side. Here's a pic. Any ideas? p.s. I don't know if I'm attaching this pic correctly. It's a small hexagonal (?) shape right under one of the headlights.
Attachment 260775
Ummm... it begs to be asked, how did that happen??
Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM

That's what I want to know! At first I though, "Who's been messing with me car?" But it's a very "neat" hole as if the piece just popped out. The weird thing is the one on the other side is so solid and unmoving, that I would never have known it wasn't a fixed piece of the bumper.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoschoolhere View Post
Ummm... it begs to be asked, how did that happen??
It's secured by two little clips. Takes very little force to remove it once the washer jets pop up.

On my MZ4 Coupe it blew off at 80mph on a damp day when the wipers activate. The aerodynamics of the cover makes for a perfect "wing" shape and doesn't take much to lose it.

Cost me $5.00 for the replacement, and $120 to have it painted to match.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 AM

Here's the weird thing. I'm almost 100% positive I don't have the jets. It's an upgrade, right? I know I wouldn't have chosen that particular upgrade.

Anyway, the delearship has ordered the part and will install it after it's been painted for a mere $150.00. They did say they wanted to take a look at it because there's a chance it may be covered by my warranty. I think they're trying to figure out how it popped off.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Here's the weird thing. I'm almost 100% positive I don't have the jets. It's an upgrade, right? I know I wouldn't have chosen that particular upgrade.

Anyway, the delearship has ordered the part and will install it after it's been painted for a mere $150.00. They did say they wanted to take a look at it because there's a chance it may be covered by my warranty. I think they're trying to figure out how it popped off.
I would talk with the SA manager or dearlership GM as this should be covered by warranty. Irregardless of whether you have the headlight washers or not the cover should not liberate itself. Also $150 to paint this tiny piece of plastic is highway robbery.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
In the U.S. market the headlight washers are included with the cold weather package, but are not available as a stand alone option.

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Then I know for certain that I do not have them as I did not opt for the cold weather package.
I know I sound like a moron for not being absolutely certain which options I have! This is my mid-life crisis car and all I cared about was how it looked and that it was a hard top convertible. Having owned BMWs in the past, I knew I was getting a good car regardless of the options.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M4; '11 X5d
Quote:
Then I know for certain that I do not have them as I did not opt for the cold weather package.
I know I sound like a moron for not being absolutely certain which options I have! This is my mid-life crisis car and all I cared about was how it looked and that it was a hard top convertible. Having owned BMWs in the past, I knew I was getting a good car regardless of the options.
Similar to the E92 (that's a 3-series coupe Shabooty ), whether you get the cold weather package (ZCW) or not, our front bumpers still have the cut-outs. It's a cost-cutting approach for BMWNA....
2015--V60 Polestar (#62:80)*
2012--E92 335is*
2011--E70 X5d*
2011--E89 Z435is*
2009--E89 Z435i*
2008--E92 335i [ED 2/23/08]*
2007--MkV GTI*
2006--E90 330i*
2005--E83 X3*
2004--E83 X3*
2003--E46 325Ci*
*retired
Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
I think someone to help you wash the headlights is missing like the Freulein that is washing my car here

As you know by now it is your headlight wash unit must have popped out? Did you get it changed yet? Then it might be just the blind cover if you don't have the washer unit. Might be difficult to order just that blind cover with your exterior color.

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.

Last edited by Rolf-Dieter; 01-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Yeah, I don't have the washer unit so only the cover is being replaced. It has to be "sent off" to be painted so it will be late next week before it can be replaced. Now I wonder if opting for the "fancy" paint when I ordered the car was a good idea. It was more sparkly than the "regular" so I just had to have it.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Quote:
Yeah, I don't have the washer unit so only the cover is being replaced. It has to be "sent off" to be painted so it will be late next week before it can be replaced. Now I wonder if opting for the "fancy" paint when I ordered the car was a good idea. It was more sparkly than the "regular" so I just had to have it.
I do hope BMW is paying for all this. On my previous 2008 Z4 30is the plastic cover around the rear view mirror kept falling off also there was a plastic panel on the dash (just over the ashtray) it also kept falling off. Every time it did happen I was thinking "must have been assembled on a Friday afternoon" My dealer recommended to weld a bar across it when I ask him what should be done about this lower panel it really annoyed me just hanging there.

Anyway ... I finally traded her in for the now sDrive Z4 35i it shows you get what you pay for so far nothing has fallen off on it

Hope nothing else falls off on your car.

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.

Last edited by Rolf-Dieter; 01-06-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 AM

We'll see. The service person I usually deal with told me on the phone that they "want to look at it" in order to determine if it will be covered by my warranty. They've always been good to me, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: Mixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Hope nothing else falls off on your car.
That's a nice signature line - say it with a smile

Seriously, I really like your signature photo.