Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Boomer Sooner!!

Mein Auto: 2008 550I
Another victim of being car keyed

So I was spending time with my wife and daughter on New Year's day; we went to eat and then she wanted to go to the mall to check out some sales. Being paranoid as I am, I didn't want to go to the mall on a day as busy as New Year's day because I didn't want to get my car dinged up by inconsiderate mall goers. I decided what the heck, she wanted to go and I figured I could check out some things as I hardly ever shop. So I find a nice parking spot on the end of an isle where only one side of my car is in danger of being door dinged. We go in and shop and leave the mall and once I get home, I notice a 2 foot plus key mark on the passenger side door and fender. There are actually 2 marks, 1 appears to only have scratched the clear coat surface (about 18 inches in length), but the 2 foot plus scratch I described is DEEP...all the way to the metal. I can't believe these assholes roam the earth in numbers. I haven't had this car but 5 weeks and baby it like crazy, parking in the middle of no where so I don't get door dinged and some pathetic human being gets a thrill out of keying this beautiful vehicle. I will post pictures once I get a chance. I am sick to my stomach every time I walk to my car and look at it. Now I have to drop money that I would have liked to spend on getting 166 style wheels on repairing the scratches.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I feel your pain. I had this happen to me a few years ago, and you just want to lash out and retaliate, but you don't know where. Sorry to hear about this.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
I hear you, brother! About 8 years ago I went to an outdoor show at Ravinia in Highland Park, IL. Once I arrived home and parked my car in my garage, I noticed a key mark running down the side of my car. After looking over my car further, I noticed the same key marks running down the side from fender to fender on both sides as well as the hood and trunk. The only place they didn't key was the roof. As it turned out, about 50 cars were keyed that night including mine. The car was brand new and only 1 month old.

Needless to say, there were flames shooting out of my eyeballs!!!

I really feel for you, brother!!!
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Boomer Sooner!!

What route did you guys go for repair? I contacted my dealer and they recommended I use the body shop they use. I contacted them and will bring it in for a quote to repair. I am just worried that it is going to be pricey due to how deep it is and wonder how long they will need the car for the repair. I would like to repair without filing a claim with insurance but if the cost is much more than my deductable, I will surely have to go that route.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550I_Addict View Post
What route did you guys go for repair? I contacted my dealer and they recommended I use the body shop they use. I contacted them and will bring it in for a quote to repair. I am just worried that it is going to be pricey due to how deep it is and wonder how long they will need the car for the repair. I would like to repair without filing a claim with insurance but if the cost is much more than my deductable, I will surely have to go that route.

I'm sure the price wouldn't be worth going through the insurance company.

I called the dealership and asked for a referral being they don't perform any bodywork. I asked for the best bodyshop in the Chicagoland area and had the work done there. My car was totally repainted with the exception of the roof.

I would think depending on the scratch, they will only paint that particular area. One thing you have in your favor is the color of your car should be easy to match and shouldn't be noticeable at all. My Acura was Nighthawk Black which is virtually the same color as BMW Carbon Black with the hint of blue and it was spot on perfect.

The repair shouldn't take more then 2, maybe 3 days the most.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti

Last edited by Slaymaster; 01-03-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Do they do such things. 50 cars keyed in one night. I just bought a bimmer.

Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkhunter View Post
Do they do such things. 50 cars keyed in one night. I just bought a bimmer.

Sorry to hear that.
Yes - you will learn that it seems people seek out these cars to be vicious to.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Yes - you will learn that it seems people seek out these cars to be vicious to.
Had to park mine at the very end of the parking lot at a hotel last week on New Years eve and was worried all night. Thought about sleeping in it to keep the drunks at bay
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Doesn't matter where you park it is going to happen. I'm one of those anal parkers that park the car as far away from the crowd as possible and it still happens.
I have had my driver side rear quarter panel keyed for 3 consecutive days..
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Doesn't matter where you park it is going to happen. I'm one of those anal parkers that park the car as far away from the crowd as possible and it still happens.
I have had my driver side rear quarter panel keyed for 3 consecutive days..
Yeah.... I had some schmuck back into my car on an end spot.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Deep Sea Blue 535xiT
Sounds like you might be better off just parking with the rest of the rabble. IMHO...parking all by yourself in a parking lot makes your car stand out like a sore thumb and, thus, makes for an easier target for the idiots who do these kinds of things. Door dings are a heck of a lot cheaper to fix than a 6 foot gash down both sides.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Boomer Sooner!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenX3 View Post
Sounds like you might be better off just parking with the rest of the rabble. IMHO...parking all by yourself in a parking lot makes your car stand out like a sore thumb and, thus, makes for an easier target for the idiots who do these kinds of things. Door dings are a heck of a lot cheaper to fix than a 6 foot gash down both sides.
This happened amongst the "rabble" as I was parked in the end spot of an isle at the Mall in a completely full parking lot. I happened to get the end spot after circling for 10 minutes looking for a spot. Next time I will wait in the car with a bat!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Deep Sea Blue 535xiT
Quote:
This happened amongst the "rabble" as I was parked in the end spot of an isle at the Mall in a completely full parking lot. I happened to get the end spot after circling for 10 minutes looking for a spot. Next time I will wait in the car with a bat!
Clint Eastwood would be proud!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
Quote:
So I was spending time with my wife and daughter on New Year's day; we went to eat and then she wanted to go to the mall to check out some sales. Being paranoid as I am, I didn't want to go to the mall on a day as busy as New Year's day because I didn't want to get my car dinged up by inconsiderate mall goers. I decided what the heck, she wanted to go and I figured I could check out some things as I hardly ever shop. So I find a nice parking spot on the end of an isle where only one side of my car is in danger of being door dinged. We go in and shop and leave the mall and once I get home, I notice a 2 foot plus key mark on the passenger side door and fender. There are actually 2 marks, 1 appears to only have scratched the clear coat surface (about 18 inches in length), but the 2 foot plus scratch I described is DEEP...all the way to the metal. I can't believe these assholes roam the earth in numbers. I haven't had this car but 5 weeks and baby it like crazy, parking in the middle of no where so I don't get door dinged and some pathetic human being gets a thrill out of keying this beautiful vehicle. I will post pictures once I get a chance. I am sick to my stomach every time I walk to my car and look at it. Now I have to drop money that I would have liked to spend on getting 166 style wheels on repairing the scratches.
That's what happens when you park the car away from everyone else. I try to find the closest parking spot to where I'm going.

Bring your car to Maaco. They did the car's trunk cover. It looks amazing. You have to leave the car for 2 or 3 days though.

Last edited by AntDX316; 01-05-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM

The best way is to pay to fix it and forget about it. Nothing else you really can do that would make the problem better.

Last edited by AntDX316; 01-05-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
There are some really sick psychopaths running around in our society. Most of them likely resent that you own a nice car and they don't.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
That's what happens when you park the car away from everyone else. I try to find the closest parking spot to where I'm going.

Bring your car to Maaco. They did the car's trunk cover. It looks amazing. You have to leave the car for 2 or 3 days though.
Maaco? Give me a break, I wouldn't take my trash can to Maaco to have them fix it.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Maaco? Give me a break, I wouldn't take my trash can to Maaco to have them fix it.
Maaco painted the trunk cover.

Last edited by AntDX316; 01-05-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Maaco paint is a low end cheap paint shop... Good luck with that.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Maaco paint is a low end cheap paint shop... Good luck with that.
believe what you want, I saw it for myself and my dad too how good quality job it was
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Visitor from 3er forum here. Couldn't help but read this and have my blood boil. This makes me sick. I empathize man.

I try to do the same thing and park far away. Especially with black paint, all one has to do is look at the car the wrong way and it gets scratches...

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM

I don't think you guys know how they think. They know they can't afford a car like a new BMW no matter what strings they try to pull. They get jealous. They want a car where they can baby and put far away. Just as you guys do. It makes their blood boil because of envy. Don't give them the opportunity to remember that and park with everyone else.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 PM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
I don't think you guys know how they think.
I'm not sure if these guys ever think at all...

But you bring up a good point Ant.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
I don't think you guys know how they think. They know they can't afford a car like a new BMW no matter what strings they try to pull. They get jealous. They want a car where they can baby and put far away. Just as you guys do. It makes their blood boil because of envy. Don't give them the opportunity to remember that and park with everyone else.
usually ant has some crazy comments but he actually has a point here. when you park far off by yourself you stand out like a sore thumb and some ********* with nothing to lose would love to key your car. parking with everybody else; you dont stand out but you do make yourself more prone to the accidental door dings and such. lose lose i guess.

ps: maaco sucks! ant it looks decent now, but wait a few years lol
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
usually ant has some crazy comments but he actually has a point here. when you park far off by yourself you stand out like a sore thumb and some ********* with nothing to lose would love to key your car. parking with everybody else; you dont stand out but you do make yourself more prone to the accidental door dings and such. lose lose i guess.

ps: maaco sucks! ant it looks decent now, but wait a few years lol
it's quality lol