Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Mein Auto: X5 E70
Adding a cheap but highly effective lumbar support

One thing that is highly useful to a lot of E70 drivers is a lumbar support in the driver's seat. However, you have to order the Premium package to get it. The one I bought has most of the options that make up Premium but I guess not all ... because it ain't an actual Premium. (It was on the lot, had a trailer hitch and was a nice color, and I got a good deal.)

I know that many purists wishing to add lumbar support will want to do it according to Hoyle and use the electrically powered OEM lumbar kit. And that is fine. But, at the risk of sounding a little bit ghetto, I suggest an equally functional and much, much less costly alternative:

Get yourself a manually adjustable lumbar seat insert from MiataMania. It's $50 and is of excellent quality -- I have used this in numerous cars that didn't have lumbar. Once inflated to taste, the unit will stay that way for weeks (unlike some of the really cheap ones).

The E70 non-Comfort/non-Sport seats are utterly easy to get inside of. You don't need any special tools, just your fingers. Put your fingers under the edges of the seat back about 3/4 of the way up. It's super tight but you can get them in. Now move them up toward the upper corners. It will get very tight for a second but then the top of the seat back will pop off. Don't worry, you won't ruin the metal spring tabs. Now lift the seat back panel up and out. Takes all of 10 seconds once you get the hang of it.

Next, you just fit the inflatable lumbar pillow in between the metal seat back support and the foam. There's about 1" of airspace in between them. Insert it in between the horizontal wire springs, push it down so it's in front of the metal seat back support, and cable tie the corners (the pillow has holes for that reason) to the spring wires at the height you want the thing. Sit in the driver's seat and pump it up to be sure you like the height. If so, just run the bulb out the bottom of the seat and stow it underneath. Now retrieve the seat back. Drop the lower tabs into the grooves (easy to see where they go ... just look), and push the upper corners in until there's a little pop. You're all done and now you have a killer lumbar support for $50 and five minutes of effort.

If you feel sheepish about this non-OEM install when selling the car, just cut the rubber tube under the seat and lose the bulb. No one will ever be the wiser.

Last edited by cicliste666; 04-24-2016 at 12:03 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search