Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
In case anyone is interested I just picked up 2013 and here is the version on mine.
Thanks Kzang. I picked up a 2012 in February - same version.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
In case anyone is interested I just picked up 2013 and here is the version on mine.
How does one 'navigate' to that screen?

2012 X5 5.0i
2008 X5 4.8i
Old 04-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
On the Nav screen, push the "option" button on the idrive knob and it will bring you to the setting screen, scroll all the way down and select navigation version
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Okay so my 7/7/11 build has 112093.2.19.

2012 X5 5.0i
2008 X5 4.8i
Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSnV1 View Post
Okay so my 7/7/11 build has 112093.2.19.
In the last three weeks, I have driven 2K miles across three states. I did not take notes on the outbound trip but coming home I was so disappointed that I made a few notes.

Top on my list are well established interstate intersections in Nashville, Memphis, and Little Rock. When I last drove my 2008 X5 through this route (summer 2011), the nav had no problem with these intersections, however the 2012 X5 missed them completely. I did not see anything in the turn (split) screen and obviously there was no voice warnings at a time it was sorely needed due to rain.

Does it do any good to complain to BMW about such a thing? I certainly don't want to pay for an update that I have no confidence in for solving this and like problems.

2012 X5 5.0i
2008 X5 4.8i

Last edited by GPSnV1; 07-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenX5 View Post
I've read the post, but has anyone gotten the dealer to or self performed the map update on a 2010 X35d with a hard disk nav system?
I updated my 2010 X5 35D to the 2012 map data myself and there are improvements. PM me if you want to know how.

Chuck
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 328xi
Where is the best place to get the fsc code?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: E70
Hi. I just purchased the 08 X5. Could you tell me how to do the 'self load' process?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM

The 2008 system is a CCC DVD based navigation system. You just take out the old DVD's from the multi disk cd changer and replace them with the newer ones. BMW sells the new map DVD's for $199. An alternate method is to down load the map data from a bit stream source and make your own DVD copies.

Chuck
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
All this nonsense with costly updates just made me solve it in a radical way: Garmin (or any other portable GPS brand you like). $100, lifetime updates and traffic and WAY better directions, features, convenience, and accuracy.

My 2013 X5 has NAV, and I use it for background - traffic map and/or regular map with large scale for just general level overview - it makes the console look alive and has some nice graphics with terrain and such. This combo works great on larger trips. But directions actually come from Garmin. Plus it has the benefit of somewhat resembling HUD - I can see my true GPS speed (speedometer is 3-4 mph off at 70mph), redlight and speed cameras and so on, all in my field of view (I keep the portable a bit to the left side of the steering wheel rather than over the center console).

In addition, I got the ecoroute add-on (connects to obd port and allows seeing a number of parameters such as oil temp, engine load, etc displayed nicely in a dashboard on the GPS unit while still providing directions).

On one hand it may be somewhat off-topic, but on the other it helped me solve this ridiculuous update/price/accuracy/features problem with built-in NAV once and for all, so I won't even bother to update it.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM

bxmxwx,

What ever makes you happy. I have a Garmin with lifetime maps also but I never use it in my X5.

Chuck
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Yes, everyone is different and has personal preferences. I just think it looks tacky that you have a $50k+ car and you use a GPS unit. You also buy a $50K+ luxury vehicle and skip out on spending $50-$200 a year on updates.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post
All this nonsense with costly updates just made me solve it in a radical way: Garmin (or any other portable GPS brand you like). $100, lifetime updates and traffic and WAY better directions, features, convenience, and accuracy.

My 2013 X5 has NAV, and I use it for background - traffic map and/or regular map with large scale for just general level overview - it makes the console look alive and has some nice graphics with terrain and such. This combo works great on larger trips. But directions actually come from Garmin. Plus it has the benefit of somewhat resembling HUD - I can see my true GPS speed (speedometer is 3-4 mph off at 70mph), redlight and speed cameras and so on, all in my field of view (I keep the portable a bit to the left side of the steering wheel rather than over the center console).

In addition, I got the ecoroute add-on (connects to obd port and allows seeing a number of parameters such as oil temp, engine load, etc displayed nicely in a dashboard on the GPS unit while still providing directions).

On one hand it may be somewhat off-topic, but on the other it helped me solve this ridiculuous update/price/accuracy/features problem with built-in NAV once and for all, so I won't even bother to update it.
My problem is not the update price. The navigation search software is really bad. It can't find West El Camino address in mountain view. It seems to get itself confused with local neighborhood vs. a real city. I may eventually put my Garmin back on the dash if this continue. Voice command is much worse than Garmin when entering an address. All this makes me regret getting premium option on the X5.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
My problem is not the update price. The navigation search software is really bad.

I agree, I use my Garmin because the BMW GPS frequently give me wrong directions and cannot find things when I take trips. The BMW GPS hardware is great, but the data is terrible, compared to what Garmin uses.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedX5SAV View Post
Yes, everyone is different and has personal preferences. I just think it looks tacky that you have a $50k+ car and you use a GPS unit. You also buy a $50K+ luxury vehicle and skip out on spending $50-$200 a year on updates.
I missed that there have been subsequent posts, and to chip in I will say what others already did - it is not the cost, but the functionalilty. Portable GPS just works, when built-in often does not, plus convenience and features. I do not care about tackiness of that, my self esteem can survive an impact like that. If the update would fix all that, I would be happy to pay whatever amount, but I know it will not until bmw switches back to a normal data provider. Plus, my wife drives this car too, and for her the idrive is a nightmare to use, while she is very handy with the garmin, and I do not want her to get lost or distracted b/c of stupid directions. And finally, if dollar value helps to feel better you can go after the higher end portables that look pretty slick even inside a bmw. Mine is good enough for me though. Cheers.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedX5SAV View Post
I'm with bxmxwx. I have a 60K+ luxury vehicle with a nav system that's pretty much worthless (if you have an hour to kill, search my and other people's posts for rants about how worthless it really is...). On long trips, I rely on my 6 year-old tried and true Garmin Nuvi. And yes, I proudly display the Garmin on the dash of my 60k+ luxury vehicle. And no, I will not pay a penny to upgrade the maps on my 60K+ luxury vehicle nav because updating the maps will only solve one of the many shortcomings of the system.

Last edited by Marwan; 01-31-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
Hi I also have x5 35d 2010 and have a factory dvd discs but have problem loading it can you send me how you did it description to me please
Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbsa666 View Post
Hi I also have x5 35d 2010 and have a factory dvd discs but have problem loading it can you send me how you did it description to me please
If you have the CIC, and "factory discs" you also need the "FSC" code.

The factory discs cost $11 from BMW. Cheap, virtually free. Why?

Becuase you need a SPECIFIC FSC code that convolves the software serial number and the VIN of YOUR car and permits your car to load the data into the computer.

You need the correct map data, AND the unique FSC code generated for your VIN.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Ja mei!

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
If you have the CIC, and "factory discs" you also need the "FSC" code.

The factory discs cost $11 from BMW. Cheap, virtually free. Why?

Becuase you need a SPECIFIC FSC code that convolves the software serial number and the VIN of YOUR car and permits your car to load the data into the computer.

You need the correct map data, AND the unique FSC code generated for your VIN.
And as a note: there are cheaper sources for the FSC-Code out there. $50 if you search here on the forums.

I just updated mine to 2014 exactly doing it this way.