Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Now M52TU Powered!

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Coupe
Z3: Hesitation/flat spot

This is something that has gotten noticeably worse over the past few months, perhaps due to the colder weather. When the engine is in the intermediate phase between cold start and operating temperature, there is a significant hiccup when transitioning from coasting to very light throttle (no more than 10% input). It feels like I have pressed the pedal, released after a split second, and pressed again. It only does it once per coast/apply cycle. At full temperature under the same driving conditions, it feels like a simple lag or hesitation in throttle response. The engine responds more or less properly if I give it 1/4 throttle or more in a quick motion.

I did the Beisan VANOS seals a couple months ago which completely cured the cold idle fluctuation/stalling. I also inspected the idle air valve and throttle body, both of which move freely without sticking.

It's been a while since I've delved into the operating logic of the MDK system, but if memory serves the idle valve is used at low engine speed and the DME transitions from idle valve to throttle chamber after a certain threshold, correct? The only other thing that comes to mind (besides a problem with the transition timing) is the DISA valve. Whatever it is, the DME isn't seeing a big enough problem to trip an MIL which makes things a little more frustrating.

When I go to get my SRS light investigated I might take a stab at monitoring the DME data to see if it lends any clues.

Any thoughts?

Kyle

Last edited by k.merkel; 01-04-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this, I have a similar issue?

Thanks

Will.