Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I really don't see the issue with brake dust. I had an 04 Infiniti G35 and the OEM pads on that put out clouds of black smoke (obviously I got the exception of the Japanese cars don't have brake dust rule.) My 08 E92 335i wasn't as bad as my old Infiniti.

Anyway, I wash my car every other week, and thus the wheels get cleaned so pitting isn't an issue. I'd take dirty wheels over worse braking.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi Coupe
Anyone know if I get replacement pads at the dealer for my 2008 328xi, will they be the new low dust type or the old high dust pads as are currently on my car?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 S4
I just got my brakes changed on my 2010 335d and I think the dealer used older pads from stock. I have never seen my wheels get so dirty in less than 100 miles like this on the OEM that came on the car. I am going to complaint and have them swap them out for the new ones. Does the brake pads have any shelf life like tires? From what I read here OEM pads were changed by BMW in Sept 2009 so that is almost 4 years ago.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Does anyone have the part numbers for the new less-dusty OEM brake pads?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
Does anyone have the part numbers for the new less-dusty OEM brake pads?
There is another current thread that has some part numbers listed, or you can check realoem.com, or penskeparts.com

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
There is another current thread that has some part numbers listed, or you can check realoem.com, or penskeparts.com
I did a search here but it did not show up. Thanks, I'll take a look at realoem. My SA is giving me the sales pitch "Bimmer pads are high performance therefore dusty etc" Need to find the part number for him.

I have driven this car with factory 2010 pads for the past 3 years and there is very minimal dust even not washing it for weeks but now less than 100 miles after the brake job the front wheels look like gunmetal gray color.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335D Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
I did a search here but it did not show up. Thanks, I'll take a look at realoem. My SA is giving me the sales pitch "Bimmer pads are high performance therefore dusty etc" Need to find the part number for him.

I have driven this car with factory 2010 pads for the past 3 years and there is very minimal dust even not washing it for weeks but now less than 100 miles after the brake job the front wheels look like gunmetal gray color.
Hi Stoked,
I have a 2010 335D Sport with 22k miles on it and recently had my front brakes replaced at the dealership. They did the rotor and pads. I have never had any brake dust issues and the brakes have always been very quiet. Now they groan and I have massive amounts of dust. They tell me this is normal. WTF?! I could not wash the car for a month before and never have as much dust as a couple of days now. It's ridiculous! It's been a few months since your post. What was your fix?
Thanks,
OrlandoD
Old 10-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clspruiell View Post
Ok so this is normal and just a headache? If so thats fine. Are there any tricks?? I wish there was a wheel cleaning robot to roam around my garage at night. If I had kids i would include this on their list of chores
the trick is to tack weld a lead to the brake caliper from the negative battery post and the positive lead to the brake pad and then the brake dust will be repelled by the charge and wont stick

haha KIDDING

all post are just suggestions from ordinary people driving extra ordinary machines and advise should be taken wisely
Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
BMW should make the pads silver in color and the dust will just blend in to the wheel paint

I might just have a great Idea there
Old 10-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
Hi Stoked,
I have a 2010 335D Sport with 22k miles on it and recently had my front brakes replaced at the dealership. They did the rotor and pads. I have never had any brake dust issues and the brakes have always been very quiet. Now they groan and I have massive amounts of dust. They tell me this is normal. WTF?! I could not wash the car for a month before and never have as much dust as a couple of days now. It's ridiculous! It's been a few months since your post. What was your fix?
Thanks,
OrlandoD
I got the part #s for 335i new formulation pads and went back to dealer. They looked at the #s and came back and said clip for 335d pads are different so 335is new dust free ones won't work on our cars. It sounds like they make a different formula when car is shipped from factory and same pads are not available to us here. There is no fix but it dusts less and less after few months depending on how much you drive.

I went to dealer for some other issue last week and asked them to check my rear brakes. They ended up checking both front and rear and replaced fronts only once again
Just checked the parts #s and they are same as from May 2013. 34-11-6-794-917
(this is the 3rd set of front rotors, 2nd pads replacement 25K miles ) Too early to tell these will dust as I just parked the car 2 days ago after only 10 miles of drive back from dealer(I don't commute w/car)

I will write an update in few weeks if new pads dust or not. It sucks that factory installed dust-free pads are not available as replacements.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Mein Auto: 2009 528i
Im having similar problems...New Brake Pads and Rotors front and Rear, relentless squeaking, mega-dust.

About braking ability...I drive my sedans rather hard...my 98 Lexus with 268K miles on it is still on ORIGINAL factory Rotors, only had them machines once...no vibration at all. Its on its 3rd set of pads...went to check them recently and still have 50% left. Ive never once had an issue stopping that car on a dime, and shes seem 120mph several times on steep up and down roads between here and Vegas.

Dust on the L-Ride...virtually none.

Id just like a low-dust NO NOISE solution to the BMW...love driving it, but its embarrassing driving up to a nice restaurant valet and having every person look when the squealing starts ever inch the car is moved.