Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: Several
Need help ID'ing an old Bimmer. 60's 1600???

Hello everyone.

My name is Justin. To start, I don't own a BMW...yet. I've stumbled on a car, that might become my next project. I like to take on resto jobs of odd cars, then I sell them and move on to the next.

I found an old BMW in a storage shed...that I might be able to purchase. I havent been able to dig around too much yet, but I was told that I'll have a chance soon to really get in there and poke around.

My problem is...I have NO idea what year or model this car is. I know next to nothing about BMWs...other than I've always liked them and wouldn't mind owning an M3 like yesterday haha.

I snapped a couple of crappy cell phone pictures just for something to take with me. I know its not much. I couldnt even see the back of the car. Its a 4 door. Im pretty sure its mid 60's. And I think its a 1600 model. But I dont know anything past that. Its a 4cyl single barrel carb motor. 4speed ( dont think its a 5spd...?).

The car comes with two of everything. Extra motor, trans, rear, rear suspension, front suspension, doors for the driver side, seats, glass, bumpers, wiring, etc etc etc.

Here are the pics:

What Ide like to know is...what the heck is it haha. Or at least have it narrowed down.

Are these cars worth fixing up? How are parts as far as availability?

The body seems pretty solid except for some surface rust. A few holes here and there, but nothing that cant be patched up. There is a good solid floor pan there, which is good because you can see through the floor in a spot or two.

Any input? Ide like to save her..just because it seems like a neat little car. And Ide hate for it to go to scrap or ripped apart. But maybe its not worth more than parts... Thanks in advance!

Justin
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: E28 M5, 72 tii Touring
Looks like a 67 or 68 1600 2 door, in US trim. Parts are generally available, but the value of the car is such that you are unlikely to get your money back, unless you are interested in just making a driver out of it. Try talking to Carl Neslon at La Jolla Independent in San Diego. he is a great source for both parts and expertise.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: Several
Awesome...Thanks for the info. I was beginning to give up on these boards haha. Tons of views but no input. The body style looks so similar to so many years, series, models etc, that I really wasnt sure.

I havent even gotten back into check out the car again.

The price is such that if I did a "budget" fix up, and got it back into driveable condition, I should be able to clear some profit on it. Between my friend and I, we can cover just about anything that needs to be done. We're both good at mechanical fixes and would have no issues with the motor or trans. Ive built plenty of rears that I could easily fix something wrong back there. He's great with paint and body work and has painted a couple cars/motorcycles. And Im good with electrical.

So I think its a project that we could tackle together. We're basically just looking for something fun to do, and maybe to make a few bucks off of. Realizing that we wont get rich off of it or anything..

Thanks for the contact info also. Ill keep that in mind if we decide to dive into it. Basically...I feel like there's enough parts there to make it worth buying, even if we decide its too far gone to fix. Two of everything... Somebody out there has to be lookin for parts.

J.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528iT, 00 S430
Yep, caught my interest as I once owned a 1970 2000 4 door, this is definitely a two door though. This looks like quite a project, but with enough spare parts to make it attractive. Try to get it cheap, as the $$ spent will mount quickly when you get into it.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 AM
72 /2002/turbo/m30a

Mein Auto: titan u/p
nice find

looks like a bit newer then 67 it has bubble side markers not flat ones tony