Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Which other SUVs did you own/consider?

I already have my X5 (two weeks now) but it was a TOUGH decision between it and the MDX.

Factors that swayed me were:
-German design, engine and transmission (although I have no beef with Japanese stuff per se and really like my G35).
-Non-transverse engine for better handling, ditto a rear-drive platform (yes both are AWD but it's the starting architecture I'm talking about).
- Acura is a glorified Honda, BMW is what it is.
- The looks of the Acura vs the X5. As much of a night-and-day thing I could ever think of. I sometimes just stand there and admire the X5, prob wouldn't have done that with MDX with that famed face "even a mother couldn't love". Although I got used to it during the two weeks or so I considered it I still went 'hmmm' each time I saw it.
- The nice diesel incentives. Acura had nothing and even their discounts weren't all that hot. Throw in a much lower trade in figure from Acura and I bought a nicely equipped X5 diesel for not much more than a bit more nicely equipped MDX. I know the MDX is probably going to be more trouble-free and it holds resale pretty well too, but I just felt better about the X5.

I also considered the Cayenne, both a 2009 S model and the new V6. When I drove the new S (they didn't have a V6 at the time to drive), it felt so much better than the 2009 S that I knew I'd regret buying the previous model, but I am trying to make it a point never to buy a first-year model either. So no new one for me.

Also briefly considered the new X3. It drove really nice and I sorta preferred its overall size but driver's knee room (lateral) was terrible. I knew this would annoy me over time. Also a first year model. Ditto my veering away from the X5 in the gas 6 cylinder: new engine and transmission.

Traded in a 1999 ML320 that I bought new and was troublesome for the first four years (warranty) then pretty good for the next 7 or so years, then started causing me worry recently. I thought I'd own that for 3-5 years more but decided I wasn't cut out for worrying so much.

We may end up trading the X5 near the end of four years as I do not relish the thought of the repair bills on the electronics. Let's see how it goes. If health and wealth permits, I will look into the Cayenne at that time.

Now for the remorse:

I *may* have preferred to get the gas version (35i) X5. I'll know more about how I feel about this in a few more weeks. Still getting used to the diesel sound. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I wonder.

The X5 is very skimpy with storage and overall space. This has been mentioned before but what the heck do they do with those generous exterior dimensions once they come inside?? A vanishing trick worthy of a skilled magician IMO.

My mileage so far isn't that great. First tank was about 17, second so far is hovering just over 19. I suppose it's still breaking in, only 600 miles so far. Each tank has had about 30% highway driving.

In great doubt about these run-flats. Will probably take forum members' advice and hold out for about 10k, then get some nice non-RFTs. WTH is BMW thinking? I mean I can see Honda doing this with their minivan (considering the target buyer) but BMW? Next thing you know Lamborghini will start installing roof racks and rear seats...
Ads by Google
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 Xdrive35D
I considered Merc GL series but got the X5 for sportiness and the class leading diesel power.

2011 X5D BLK/BLK: Premium, Tech, Cold, Sports Activity, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Third Row, Comfort Access
2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
2006 MB E350 4Matic BLK (Gone)
2001 Nissan Maxima BLK (Gone)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM

Followup to my own thread:

For fear I left it sounding too negative, and also forgot to mention the Number One reason I bought the X5: driving it is tremendously enjoyable. I have virtually no experience with BMW before this (just a test drive years ago, then a miserable five days recently in the passenger seat of a realtor's 3-series, which I never drove of course), but I finally got to find out what all the fuss is about with BMWs.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
The X5 is very skimpy with storage and overall space. This has been mentioned before but what the heck do they do with those generous exterior dimensions once they come inside?? A vanishing trick worthy of a skilled magician IMO..
Yeash, I was a bit surprised as well. My 2005 Focus Station Wagon seemed to have more cargo capacity, so I looked up the specs and sure enough, the Focus Wagon has more cargo capacity than the X5.

Oddly enough, the Focus also has much better throttle response than any BMW automatic I have driven.

The BMW is, of course, much more powerful and comfortable, but it is surprising how close the Focus is in terms of handling... I guess even BMW cannot "violate the laws of Physics," as they put it, when you compare the weights of the Focus and the X5 vehicles.

That said, it is quite impressive that my X35d gets 28 MPG on the highway, while the Focus Wagon tops out at only 33-34 MPG on the highway. I think I would have been a bit disappointed if I got a gasoline X5, as it is the diesel which I find as the best feature of my X5.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
I looked at a Range Rover Sport briefly (until I read the maintenance horror stories), the Volvo SUV, and the X3. X3 was easy to toss around, but not enough creature comforts on the old body style. Volvo had the same "shotgun" tailgate, but I wasn't crazy about the layout, and it felt sluggish. I couldn't even look at anything Acura. They are that painful to look at.

I picked up the X5d when the $4500 eco credit was still in tact, so that made it much more favorable, along with getting 28-29 mpg highway. Overall, mixed we are getting 24.5 mpg, probably 60% highway, 40% city, with 9K miles. So far, no complaints. Love the diesel's pull, especially up in the mountains, passing on the highway, etc. Could be a bit faster, but I have read enough horror stories about the HPFP to consider myself lucky on my 335i. I still love the looks I get at the diesel pumps from the country folk filling up their lifted up F250's. Never fails - they're always amazed.

Not sure what we'll do in a few years with the X5 - I'm not crazy about the new designs BMW is coming out with, so I'm picking up an M3 before they kill the last of the Bangle design - IMO, they're taking a step backwards with their new designs.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5D
Quote:
I already have my X5 (two weeks now) but it was a TOUGH decision between it and the MDX.

MDX was one of my consideration before pickup X5. Don't like its arrow shape of front and back.

Last edited by xian66369; 01-06-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:

Factors that swayed me were:
-German design, engine and transmission (although I have no beef with Japanese stuff per se and really like my G35).
-Non-transverse engine for better handling, ditto a rear-drive platform (yes both are AWD but it's the starting architecture I'm talking about).
- The looks of the Acura vs the X5. As much of a night-and-day thing I could ever think of. I sometimes just stand there and admire the X5, prob wouldn't have done that with MDX with that famed face "even a mother couldn't love". Although I got used to it during the two weeks or so I considered it I still went 'hmmm' each time I saw it.
- The nice diesel incentives. Acura had nothing and even their discounts weren't all that hot. Throw in a much lower trade in figure from Acura and I bought a nicely equipped X5 diesel for not much more than a bit more nicely equipped MDX. I know the MDX is probably going to be more trouble-free and it holds resale pretty well too, but I just felt better about the X5.

I also considered the Cayenne, both a 2009 S model and the new V6. When I drove the new S (they didn't have a V6 at the time to drive), it felt so much better than the 2009 S that I knew I'd regret buying the previous model, but I am trying to make it a point never to buy a first-year model either. So no new one for me.

Also briefly considered the new X3. It drove really nice and I sorta preferred its overall size but driver's knee room (lateral) was terrible. I knew this would annoy me over time. Also a first year model. Ditto my veering away from the X5 in the gas 6 cylinder: new engine and transmission.

Traded in a 1999 ML320 that I bought new and was troublesome for the first four years (warranty) then pretty good for the next 7 or so years, then started causing me worry recently. I thought I'd own that for 3-5 years more but decided I wasn't cut out for worrying so much.

We may end up trading the X5 near the end of four years as I do not relish the thought of the repair bills on the electronics. Let's see how it goes. If health and wealth permits, I will look into the Cayenne at that time.

Now for the remorse:

I *may* have preferred to get the gas version (35i) X5. I'll know more about how I feel about this in a few more weeks. Still getting used to the diesel sound. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I wonder.

The X5 is very skimpy with storage and overall space. This has been mentioned before but what the heck do they do with those generous exterior dimensions once they come inside?? A vanishing trick worthy of a skilled magician IMO.

My mileage so far isn't that great. First tank was about 17, second so far is hovering just over 19. I suppose it's still breaking in, only 600 miles so far. Each tank has had about 30% highway driving.

In great doubt about these run-flats. Will probably take forum members' advice and hold out for about 10k, then get some nice non-RFTs. WTH is BMW thinking? I mean I can see Honda doing this with their minivan (considering the target buyer) but BMW? Next thing you know Lamborghini will start installing roof racks and rear seats...
I actually bought my wife a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition. I have to say, it is a nice ride, has air conditioned seats, heating steering wheel and lots of amenities you would find in a luxury SUV. Only drawback is it is mated to a 5 speed tranny when most are now 8 speed. She doesn't know what it means but i do. overall, this is the first chrysler product i would actually recommend.

On Order: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
I have an '09 ML320 and had an RX330 before that (both the wife's). I originally intended on picking up the GL Bluetec but was told that it would be 5 months. My X5 was here in 6 weeks.

If I could combine the best attributes from the ML and X5, that would be one hell of an SUV. As it is, I also love the drive of the X5 and have no regrets buying it, but it is by no means a perfect vehicle. Personally, I think the ML is a much better looking vehicle.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
I was intent on replacing my 05' X3 with the Audi Q5 originally, as my wife is the primary driver and she prefers a smaller-sized ute. However, when I began pricing out a fully-loaded Q5 vs. a modestly-equipped X5, the gap became close enough that imo the X5 was the better value, esp. considering the "free" maintenance for 4 yrs.

I also did my due diligence on the MDX and ML but quickly ruled them out.

Lastly I looked at the pricing on the new Cayenne 6-cyl, which was a pleasant surprise until I checked the boxes for some basic options, then realized I wasn't ready for one yet :lol: Also, the 6-cyls weren't physically available yet so it was moot.

Overall I'm very happy w/our choice of the X5, esp. since I have the SA pkg. to differentiate amongst most of the other X5's on the road. Although I wished the new X3 was available 6mos sooner as I'm sure I would've given it serious consideration.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)

Last edited by two-five boy; 01-06-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive35d
I considered the standard competitors such as the ML, GL, Q7, Touareg, Cayenne, RR Sport, LR4, and Yukon Denali/Hybrid. Where available I was most interested in the diesel engines, and all of them were spec'ed similar to what I ended up with on the X5. I compared them via multiple websites from the automakers, car magazines, car sites, etc., as well as print magazines, brochures, and in person. I've been a "car nut" since I was a small child and love to compare and contrast the specs, as well as real-world impressions on test drives and from talking to other owners. The X5 didn't "win" in every (or even many) categories, but it was by far the best all-rounder of the bunch. Only the Touareg came in at a significantly lower price, and after the BMW incentives the X5 was a relative bargain.

I really didn't consider the Japanese SUVs seriously. Several co-workers have MDXs and like them, but Acura has really screwed up the styling, and they're not much fun to drive. The MDX ends up feeling like a minivan without the versatility. My wife loves Lexus, but I feel like my soul is being sucked out every time I drive one. The Infiniti FX is interesting and not a bad drive, but they seem kind of pointless when you consider the cramped quarters and cargo area.

I also considered other BMWs, including the 535i xDrive, 335i xDrive, and 335i xDrive, as well as the new X3 even though it wasn't yet available. My previous car was a 335i e92 and I needed more room for a 20 month old and a 14 year old, so any of those BMWs would have done the job, although none were as roomy or versatile as the X5. Of those available to test drive the 335i xDrive was the most spirited, but the 335d was the one that won my heart. I really like the styling of the new 5 series, the new electronics, and so on, but every one that I test drove felt more like a Lexus than any BMW I've been in. The steering felt floaty and disconnected, and the car itself seemed to "wallow" around corners like the LS460 that I drove a couple of years ago. There was some indication that adding the right packages to the new 5 would improve things, but the price skyrocketed, and it wasn't clear that the xDrive versions would get all of the sporty bits. Every X5 I test drove, with the exception of a 50i with Active Steering, felt planted and had the right "heft" to the steering that I expect from BMWs. After numerous test drives back-to-back with the 535i, X5 35d, X5 35i, and 335d, I put in an order for the X5 35d.

I've been getting around 22 MPG in my daily commute, which is mostly mixed suburban driving with speed limits from 30 to 55 MPH, 10 or so stoplights, and an average speed of 35 MPH over 17 to 20 miles each way. I leadfoot it at least a couple of times a day, driving the X5 pretty much the same way that I did the 335i, and have been getting the same or better MPG. That's pretty amazing when you consider that the X5 weighs 1500 or so more pounds, has a lower CD, and a far greater frontal area. On a recent 500 mile trip through Nebraska it got just under 27 MPG in 10 to 20 degree F weather in a blowing snowstorm, loaded down with 4 people and luggage, and that is quite astonishing.

On the interior space, I think that the passenger compartment is quite comfortable, and I spent several hours in the back seat with our 20 month old and never felt cramped. When I was test driving the new 5 series I kept looking at the specs that implied that it should be as roomy as the X5, but when I sat in it that simply wasn't the case, especially the back seat. There is something to be said for the vertical room provided by the X5's relatively boxy shape that just isn't there in the new 5. I think only the 5 Series GT and 7 Series would offer better back seat accommodations than the X5, and neither of those would offer the same degree of versatility for cargo.

My wife did much of the packing of the X5 and it looked very full when we left. What she didn't know about was the significant space in the storage compartment, which is great for things that you don't need immediate access to. I do think I'll look into adding one of the struts to mine, as for some reason BMW is skimping on them in the 2011's. My wife has a Lexus GX and previously had an RX, and both of those offer a bit more room than the X5, but I'd rather pack lighter and enjoy the X5 than drive those marshmallow-mobiles!

As for diesel versus gas, I have wanted a BMW diesel since I drove the first dealer-demo X5 a couple of years ago. I've been a fan of diesels for 30+ years, and have driven a GMC HD diesel pickup (mostly a tow vehicle) for the past 7 years. The engine sounds good to my ears, and I'm glad that BMW didn't try to over-isolate the engine like some others do. I do think that BMW should have brought the 40d over with the 8 speed, but perhaps they realized that no one would have bought the 35i or 50i if they had done so. Of the gas models I would have gone for the 35i as the 50i seems a bit pointless in the USA, but after the poor reliability of the N54 in my 335i, I still think that the N55 needs to prove itself.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 iDrive35i Premium
I was considering the Mercedes GL and ML, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. I drove the Q7 S-line and really liked the looks of it but wasn't overly wild about Audi as a whole for some reason. When I first started looking I had my mind set on the GL but when I sat in it, I was less than impressed. Having never owned or even been a fan of BMW I wasn't even looking at the X5 until a week or two ago and the more I researched the more I loved. I am totally happy with my X5 and know I made the right decision!!

X5 FTW!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I considered the Touareg, MDX and Cayenne. Cayenne was getting pricey when loaded, I really didn't like the way MDX drove, Acura's are not fun to drive.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM

I think the ML is a loser, although I didn't drive it (but may do so in the next few weeks just for fun). See: http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...ml320-bluetec/

The Audi was a turnoff for me owing to:
1) Q5 being too small for too much money
2) Q7 looks like a bus (and, I've heard, drives like one too).

JGC didn't appear on my radar but briefly. Before I could go out and test drive it I remembered it's a Chrysler.

Touareg looked promising but again a first-year vehicle, plus early reports were that it was too 'soft' in handling. More of a 'female car' (which I DON'T have anything against, with two daughters... but I just feel the SUV/SAV concept calls for a certain combination of style, brawn and presence that falls more on the masculine side). Speaking of daughters, my older one drives a 2009 Rabbit and we all agree it is a damn nice car, so I'm not biased against VW at all and was sorta looking forward to having one of my own.

Lexus - fuggedaboutit. Looks like crap and I've heard drives like one too.

I actually also drove the Kia Sorento, which is WAY below this price class (but it's actually the price point at which I started, as I thought I was ready to try a budget brand after owning the Benz). Surprising value for money and a decent enough test drive, lots of goodies for just $35k and good discounts and incentives to boot. But again, a first-year car plus the still-wobbly (but rapidly improving) rep of Hyundai/Kia quality. Also, this would NOT impress my neighbors

Of all the above, I think MB has really lost its way. When my ML320 was released it was a groundbreaking vehicle. Consumer Reports ran a cover story on it with the tag line "Is this the future of all SUVs?". It too was a great drive in its day and had incredible toughness. It destroyed two Japanese cars in low speed accidents without even needing a trip to the body shop. Really.

Fast forward to TONS of QC issues with that car, the Chrysler "merger" debacle, the arrogance of the local dealer, the sissyfication of the ML ride and I am done with the brand. I know there are MANY who feel the same; I shared forum space with them over on Benzworld. I know BMW will be just as expensive to maintain and repair but hopefully with a better overall QC experience. After all they have had 10+ years under their belt building the two gens of the X5 by now.

So in the end, the only real contender was, as I stated originally, the MDX. I thought it handled well enough (not X5-like but ok, surprisngly flat on hard turns even with the base suspension), has lots of space (yes it derives from the Odyssey) and the Honda reliability did tempt me. But then there was that schnozz...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: GX470
1999 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
2006 Acura MDX
2008 Lexus GX470
2011 BMW X5 Sport Activity
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
For me exist only 3 SUVs: Group A - Lexus LX, Group B - BMW X5 & Porsche Cayenne. If money is not a problem then don't examine others, because if u want smooth ride, exceptional quality and richest comfort then no meaning to look at Mercedes, Acura and etc..., Lexus is the best among.

But if u want sporty feeling and feeling of the road then u 'd go with BMW. Cayenne is less sporty for me, with higher sporty name rather.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: LEXUS RX350
Looked at mkx mdx touraeg Volvo. Part of reason to buy x5 was BMW mystique
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Traded my '08 Cayenne S for the '11 X5 50i. Wanted the '11 Cayenne S but could not locate one to my specs and if I ordered it would be March delivery. Wanted to take advantage of IRS sec 179 requiring me to put a new vehicle in service by 12/31. So far, so good. I've owned MBenz and Porsches for years. This is my first BMW. A similarly equipped Cayenne S was $8k more The 50i is faster than my Cayenne S but I miss that Porsche mystique and especially that Porsche "growl". But, I'm enjoying the X5 and nothing's forever. As they say in Germany "if you want a great car head for Stuttgart, if you want a great beer head for Munich". I'm not sure where Spartanburg fits into that scenario?

2011 X5 50i
2002 C4 Cabriolet (996)
2011 E 350

Last edited by gogatorsx5; 01-06-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I think the ML is a loser, although I didn't drive it (but may do so in the next few weeks just for fun). See: http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...ml320-bluetec/

The Audi was a turnoff for me owing to:
1) Q5 being too small for too much money
2) Q7 looks like a bus (and, I've heard, drives like one too).

JGC didn't appear on my radar but briefly. Before I could go out and test drive it I remembered it's a Chrysler.

Touareg looked promising but again a first-year vehicle, plus early reports were that it was too 'soft' in handling. More of a 'female car' (which I DON'T have anything against, with two daughters... but I just feel the SUV/SAV concept calls for a certain combination of style, brawn and presence that falls more on the masculine side). Speaking of daughters, my older one drives a 2009 Rabbit and we all agree it is a damn nice car, so I'm not biased against VW at all and was sorta looking forward to having one of my own.

Lexus - fuggedaboutit. Looks like crap and I've heard drives like one too.

I actually also drove the Kia Sorento, which is WAY below this price class (but it's actually the price point at which I started, as I thought I was ready to try a budget brand after owning the Benz). Surprising value for money and a decent enough test drive, lots of goodies for just $35k and good discounts and incentives to boot. But again, a first-year car plus the still-wobbly (but rapidly improving) rep of Hyundai/Kia quality. Also, this would NOT impress my neighbors

Of all the above, I think MB has really lost its way. When my ML320 was released it was a groundbreaking vehicle. Consumer Reports ran a cover story on it with the tag line "Is this the future of all SUVs?". It too was a great drive in its day and had incredible toughness. It destroyed two Japanese cars in low speed accidents without even needing a trip to the body shop. Really.

Fast forward to TONS of QC issues with that car, the Chrysler "merger" debacle, the arrogance of the local dealer, the sissyfication of the ML ride and I am done with the brand. I know there are MANY who feel the same; I shared forum space with them over on Benzworld. I know BMW will be just as expensive to maintain and repair but hopefully with a better overall QC experience. After all they have had 10+ years under their belt building the two gens of the X5 by now.

So in the end, the only real contender was, as I stated originally, the MDX. I thought it handled well enough (not X5-like but ok, surprisngly flat on hard turns even with the base suspension), has lots of space (yes it derives from the Odyssey) and the Honda reliability did tempt me. But then there was that schnozz...
Don't hold your breath...our '10 X5 hasn't been any more reliable than our '09 ML320.

I don't understand your apparent dislike of the ML. It is built and designed to target a much different audience than the X5. The MB targets more comfy, luxury....while the BMW is much more oriented towards driving experience. One isn't better than the other, they are just different. My wife prefers how her ML drives, while I am much happier in the X5.

There is no one vehicle that is going to be an ideal fit for every driver. Your dismissal of the RX without having been in one is amusing. While the looks are polarizing, it is an excellent vehicle inside and is ultra-reliable, even if it doesn't drive like a BMW.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Don't hold your breath...our '10 X5 hasn't been any more reliable than our '09 ML320.

I don't understand your apparent dislike of the ML. It is built and designed to target a much different audience than the X5. The MB targets more comfy, luxury....while the BMW is much more oriented towards driving experience. One isn't better than the other, they are just different. My wife prefers how her ML drives, while I am much happier in the X5.

There is no one vehicle that is going to be an ideal fit for every driver. Your dismissal of the RX without having been in one is amusing. While the looks are polarizing, it is an excellent vehicle inside and is ultra-reliable, even if it doesn't drive like a BMW.
I don't dislike the ML -- or at least the first gen that I had. I really liked, almost loved, that car (but I reserve my love for selected humans). What I dislike is the MB attitude, or at least that of the dealer and regional rep that I dealt with. I can easily say that that service manager at RBM, Debbie something or other, may have been handpicked from the lowest rung of humanity ever. Maybe all dealers are similar, I don't know.

One can easily dislike a company while liking one or more of its products. Apple comes to mind right away; the iPhone is much loved while the corporation behind it is the subject of much hate. BTW, the original ML was NOT built to be comfy, luxurious, etc. It was one heck of an off-roader and rugged little brute until they sissyfied it mid-cycle, when they decided that soccer mom customers were the ones they really wanted in the first place. They even went so far as to make chassis compromises (mid-cycle again!) that worsened its tiny turning radius drastically, one of the traits of my ML that impressed the pants off me every time I drove it. I had many opportunities to drive those vehicles as loaners and each time I was SO relieved to get back into my ML.

I drove the first-gen RX, years ago, just before I bought the ML. Didn't like it then, and its styling direction since then has induced me to stay away, far away. Even if were an excellent ride I'd still not be able to look it in the eye if in my garage.

I don't mean to criticize any of your own personal choices. I do understand that the reason all these designs exist is to satisfy all those taste variations out there. I believe the RX is the best seller in its class, and it must be so for a reason. Why, today there are even people that buy that abomination, the new Lincoln MKT (oops...barf!)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
On my 3rd E70 X5. They keep getting better and better. Prior to that we had an E53 X5, a Volvo XC-90, and a string of 3 Grand Cherokees.

I can't believe the 2011 XC-90 is basically unchanged from our 2003. My sister in law just got a 2011 and loves it, but fer chrissakes it's a 10-year-old platform (and was a bucket of rattles by the time we'd had it 18 months).

I stopped buying Grand Cherokees when I saw a series of rollovers, including hte one that killed Seymour Cray (inventor of the Cray supercomputer). The A pillars collapsed like they were made of wet fettucine. Overall ours were reliable, capable vehicles, but I didn't want my wife to get killed driving one.

If we hadn't gotten another X5, the SUV's I would have considered were the Volvo X-60 (love the design), and the new X-3. But we also would have cross shopped the Audi A6 Avant, the Mercedes E350 wagon, and the Cadillac CTS-V wagon. The one vehicle we probably would have chosen over the X5 is unfortunately not available in the USA: the BMW F11 535D x-Drive sportwagon. Pity.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I don't dislike the ML -- or at least the first gen that I had. I really liked, almost loved, that car (but I reserve my love for selected humans). What I dislike is the MB attitude, or at least that of the dealer and regional rep that I dealt with. I can easily say that that service manager at RBM, Debbie something or other, may have been handpicked from the lowest rung of humanity ever. Maybe all dealers are similar, I don't know.

One can easily dislike a company while liking one or more of its products. Apple comes to mind right away; the iPhone is much loved while the corporation behind it is the subject of much hate. BTW, the original ML was NOT built to be comfy, luxurious, etc. It was one heck of an off-roader and rugged little brute until they sissyfied it mid-cycle, when they decided that soccer mom customers were the ones they really wanted in the first place. They even went so far as to make chassis compromises (mid-cycle again!) that worsened its tiny turning radius drastically, one of the traits of my ML that impressed the pants off me every time I drove it. I had many opportunities to drive those vehicles as loaners and each time I was SO relieved to get back into my ML.

I drove the first-gen RX, years ago, just before I bought the ML. Didn't like it then, and its styling direction since then has induced me to stay away, far away. Even if were an excellent ride I'd still not be able to look it in the eye if in my garage.

I don't mean to criticize any of your own personal choices. I do understand that the reason all these designs exist is to satisfy all those taste variations out there. I believe the RX is the best seller in its class, and it must be so for a reason. Why, today there are even people that buy that abomination, the new Lincoln MKT (oops...barf!)
In regards to the first bolded statement, I am in full agreement. Service has been absolutely terrible at our Benz dealership and I am amazed they continue to sell cars with support like this.

Which leads to the second bolded statement. As much as my previous statement frustrates me, I still love the S class and will consider one in the spring...lol.

I didn't take any offense or even think that you were being critical of my choices.
Frankly, I could care less what anyone else thinks about the cars I own. I buy what is best for my current needs and what I feel like at the time.

I also fully agree with you on the MKT. I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see one...lol.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
i considered the LR4 and the RRS. Since my wife was driving it as well, I wanted something not too truck-like. Not to mention the reliability of the Land Rover brand. You would think they would have the "kinks" worked out of these models, since they are not new (like the evoque). My wife constantly tells me how easy the BMW is to drive. It is not only easy to drive, but fun to drive IMO. The MDX was a blip on my radar. If money was not an option, I would have gone with the Range, since nothing compares to it offroad (but how many times have I been off-road in my life!) In conclusion, I am very happy with my purchase. I am about 2000mi in and love it so far
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: Many
Placed my order for an X5 35i in Alpine White on Monday. PCD delivery next month...
What won me over? 48 moth warranty/service, BMW's awesome new 35i turbo engine and 8-speed transmission, fun to drive, $2,500 holiday cash and $100 over invoice deal.

What almost blew the deal? Ridiculous never ending extra $$ in options that are "must have". No real off road ability, a bit common.

But I spent lots of time looking at pretty much everything...

Made it to the final consideration:
  • 2011 Touareg.
    Have had a 2004 V8 and loved it. If VW still offered the V8 petrol or their awesome new V8 diesel in the US, along with 4xmotion and air suspension, probably would have bought another. The new de-contented Touareg looks good, but has almost no real price advantage over the BMW, especially considering 36 month warranty/service vs BM's 48. Perhaps the closest to the X5 of all the competitors.
  • 2011 Land Rover LR4
    Seriously considered. The 2011 375HP engine is great, real off road ability, a bit more space than the X5. 48 month warranty these days, and if I wasn't petrified of post-warranty issues or extended warranty costs, might have pulled the trigger.
  • 2011 GX460
    Also a final contender. Lots to like abou the latest GX...

Took at least a test drive, didn't make the cut:
  • 2011 Audi Q5
    Nice little SUV. But I need a 6K+ GVW for tax reasons
  • 2011 Audi Q7
    Wow, biggest surprise. Apart from looking very funky, this guy is absolutely no fun to drive!
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne
    V6 has no balls. V8 too expensive.
  • 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged.
    Very nice! Probably the nicest vehicle I test drove in looks, performance, luxury. If i was spending somebody else's money....
  • 2011 Land Cruiser
    Old-school Luxury SUV without pretense. Bigger than the X5, but not nearly as ponderous as the Sequoia. Ultimately about $10K-$15K overpriced IMHO.
  • 2011 Toytota 4Runner
    Light years ahead of previous 4runners. Ultimately the engine/transmission combo weren't up to par, but if I was on a tighter budget, this one might have gotten more serious consideration.
  • 2011 Acura MDX
    Not 6K+ GVW
  • 2011 Toyota Sequoia
    BIGBIGBIG and no fun to drive.
  • 2011 Honda Pilot
    Definitely moving up, but engine/tranny was a deal killer.
  • 2010 Cadillac SRX
    Had to check out the best American mid size SUV. Not my fathers Cadillac, and not mine either!
  • 2010 Mercedes GL/M
    Too minivan-ish, too ugly, in that order.

Ones I decided weren't even worth a trip to a dealer:
  • Ford's SUV's
  • GM SUV's
  • Volvo SUV's

Last edited by pfbz; 01-06-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogatorsx5 View Post
Wanted to take advantage of IRS sec 179 requiring me to put a new vehicle in service by 12/31.
All 179/168(k) benefits extended through 2010...
Old 01-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
i was all over the place regarding which suv. definitely wanted awd. at first, thought i wanted a hybrid, so test drove several lexus rx400h vehicles. these had some funny braking to them. usually it worked fine for normal driving, but then i tried it in the snow in the parking lot. the brakes didnt behave like a bmw. so, the 400h was a no-go. then i drove the rx350 a bunch of times. it was ok, but not exciting. if im going to spend over 30 thousand bucks for a car, it had better excite me at least a little bit. i felt like i was driving my mom's car (im biased b/c she has one). so, the rx350 was a no go. for fun, i also drove a ford escape with 70k miles on it. i wanted to see how those cars hold up. not to well was my conclusion. so, the escape was a no go. finally i thought about driving a brand new car. i really like my old jeep cj7, so i thought id try the new 2011 jeep grand cherokee. it was great, i really liked it. but, my wife didnt. so, bmw x5 it is. its our second x5, the first was a 2001. had it for 160k miles. too many piddly little things went wrong with it. am hoping the '08 x5 with 50k miles on it already holds up better. so far, we really really like it.