Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2016, 09:55 AM
ScottyFive ScottyFive is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington St.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 5 Series
MID help please.

Hi guy's

I'm a first timer here...

I've looked high and low on the net and here for an answer on this. My manual doesn't mention anything about it.

I have a problem with the audio settings that are displayed on the MID. Here's the scenario:

With the radio on listening to music I press the audio button on the MID and on the right side upper display box it reads FLAT.

My question is how do you change that or is it just there to say basically no change in adjustments like bass or treble ect? I don't have DSP on my MID. Could someone explain the operation or adjustment for that. Is there some other selection other than Flat?

Like with most things, probably a operator error on my part.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by ScottyFive; 05-17-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
mjalloul11's Avatar
mjalloul11 mjalloul11 is offline
BMW forever
Location: Lebanon
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 940
Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB C240
Do look in the trunk for a subwofer rack, if you do find one you have DSP and the head unit was changed at sometime with a different one with no DSP button.
__________________
Working on my car is a pastime
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2016, 12:04 PM
ScottyFive ScottyFive is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington St.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 5 Series
Thank you mjalloul11, I will check when I get off work.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Brandon002's Avatar
Brandon002 Brandon002 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,704
Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
Do you have the audio system manual? Mine explains everything I need to know and more about my DSP.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 PM
ScottyFive ScottyFive is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington St.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 5 Series
Nope, I have them all except the audio manual.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Brandon002's Avatar
Brandon002 Brandon002 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,704
Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
I will see if I can post pics from mine. Confirm if you have DSP first though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2016, 04:15 PM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,152
Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyFive View Post
Hi guy's

I'm a first timer here...

I've looked high and low on the net and here for an answer on this. My manual doesn't mention anything about it.

I have a problem with the audio settings that are displayed on the MID. Here's the scenario:

With the radio on listening to music I press the audio button on the MID and on the right side upper display box it reads FLAT.

My question is how do you change that or is it just there to say basically no change in adjustments like bass or treble ect? I don't have DSP on my MID. Could someone explain the operation or adjustment for that. Is there some other selection other than Flat?

Like with most things, probably a operator error on my part.

Thanks in advance...
Help us help you better...since you have no model/model year info...I can't tell if you have the in-dash cassette or the in-dash CD player. Some of those have buttons on them that can alter audio sound.

You can go to www.bmwtips.com or www.e38.org/e39 and scroll down to the bottom of the left column and find just about all of the owners manuals and other booklets that came in the binder. Most things do not change that much from year to year...so if your model year isn't listed...just select the one that is closest to your model/model year. If you are face lift...then select another facelift manual...if you are prefacelift...then select another prefacelift manual.

For example, if you have the in-dash CD player...you can see in the pic below that it has a TONE button which will pull up some audio choices. But as mentioned above...check your VIN to see if you have the correct MID installed. If you have a DSP amp in the trunk, then you should also have a DSP button on your MID.

]

In the pic below of my e39 540iT's original in-dash cassette player...you can see that there were audio selection buttons on the cassette player:

__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-17-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 PM
ScottyFive ScottyFive is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington St.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 5 Series
Thanks for the help QSilver7, as in your post I do have the Professional cd player. I also looked in the audio/phone compartment in the trunk, the only thing there was a small black box and nothing else. No CD changer either. I can't tell if the MID is the original unit. My Vin: WBADT43433GY99914. I did a check but maybe I was reading it wrong or my understanding is incorrect. I'm understanding it's not a DSP option. Could someone more knowledgeable verify please.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2016, 05:12 PM
amancuso's Avatar
amancuso amancuso is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,650
Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: Z3 2.3iA/5MT 528iA VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyFive View Post
Thanks for the help QSilver7, as in your post I do have the Professional cd player. I also looked in the audio/phone compartment in the trunk, the only thing there was a small black box and nothing else. No CD changer either. I can't tell if the MID is the original unit. My Vin: WBADT43433GY99914. I did a check but maybe I was reading it wrong or my understanding is incorrect. I'm understanding it's not a DSP option. Could someone more knowledgeable verify please.
If you have the CD player, hit the button that says TONE then on the display you will see BASS TREBLE FADER and BAL.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
ScottyFive ScottyFive is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington St.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 5 Series
Pressed it and it does have BASS TREBLE FADER and BAL listed on the MID. If you look at QSilver7 pic of his MID where it says CODE SET mine say FLAT. My question is, is FLAT a setting or does that change? If a press the audio button it will appear even if I toggle through radio, AUX or CD. If I increase the bass or treble it should say something different?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-17-2016, 05:58 PM
TheAngryBear's Avatar
TheAngryBear TheAngryBear is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Springfield, VA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,802
Mein Auto: 540iA Sport 03/03 GS56111
I believe FLAT returns everything to "standard" at once vice having to do it for each (bass, fade, etc)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 PM
ScottyFive ScottyFive is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington St.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 5 Series
Thank you AngryBear and to all that replied. After what AngryBear said I adjusted the bass and treble on the CD and Radio. Then I pressed the button marked FLAT, and it did bring back the settings to standard or zero adjustment. Wow, I totally thought it was something else.. Boy, don't I feel dumb!!


Thanks guy's for the help,
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-18-2016, 04:25 AM
amancuso's Avatar
amancuso amancuso is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,650
Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: Z3 2.3iA/5MT 528iA VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyFive View Post
Thank you AngryBear and to all that replied. After what AngryBear said I adjusted the bass and treble on the CD and Radio. Then I pressed the button marked FLAT, and it did bring back the settings to standard or zero adjustment. Wow, I totally thought it was something else.. Boy, don't I feel dumb!!


Thanks guy's for the help,
LOL you're welcome.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms