Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
2003 530i issues-Looking for some help

Hello,
I have a 2003 530i with 147K on it. It recently blew an upper radiator hose, I replaced it, refilled the fluid and in a day, it blew another upper hose. I put a new hose on (third) and it is holding. However, the expansion tank overflowed and the temp gauge started to climb. I pulled over and shut off the car. After cooling down, I started to remove the cap off the expansion tank and fluid welled up and out of the tank. I lost about a quart or more while this happened. I refilled the coolant system and bled using the aux pump method. The car ran normally and at the proper temperature. I'm not getting any coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant. The exhaust is normal with no white clouds billowing about. I do have a few codes, as the CEL was illuminated. They are P1347 #3 misfire, P0313, P1089 bank 1 sensor 2, and p0430 bank 2 efficiency below threshold. I'm looking for advice on where to start. Thanks for any help you may have.
Ads by Google
Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Need to check the fill on the cooling system again when the car has set overnight,,I would rebleed after the 12 hours or so of the car cooling down--the codes on the misfire and such--need to check for vacuum leaks and make the fix on those--move the coil pac from the cylinder thats mifireing and swap it with the one next to it and see if the misfire moves--if so it's the coil pac thats bad--if it doesn't then I would try a new plug in that cylinder--before doing any of this--erase the codes that you have now before starting the car again.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks Poolman. I've been doing some research on the site and have been reading about how to bleed the system properly. Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Alright, here is an update. So I raised the front of the car and turned the aux pump on with the ignition key. I set the heater to 90 and fan on low. I removed the cap from the expansion tank and the coolant level was normal. I opened the bleeder screw at the thermostat outlet and got a good bit of air out before getting straight fluid. The level in the tank dropped and I refilled it and opened the bleeder at the tank and got out a good bit more air before straight fluid. Both bleeders are closed and I topped off the tank to normal and started the car. The car warmed up and the upper hose, which prior to doing this was always very rigid, was now pliable and stayed that way throughout my driving the car and testing it. The temp gauge showed normal throughout and the CES light remained out. Before I shut the car down, I rechecked for codes and there were none.
Again, the oil is normal and so is the exhaust. I don't know if having air in the coolant system would cause a pressure build up or overheat, but I will keep you updated on how things go.
BTW - About a month ago I was changing the oil gasket on the filter housing because it had developed a leak between it and the block. With everything removed, I found the hose to the CCV had a large hole in it. I replaced the hole and cleaned the CCV. I did have the CES light at the time and never checked the codes until now. The car has run better with the hose replaced.