Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: E39 530D
Blown fuse 47

Hi All,

I am having an issue with my 2000 E39 530d SE.

The initial problem is that it keeps blowing fuse 47 the second i replace it.

It started yesterday when i noticed that i had lost a couple of electrical items in the cabin. The clock on the radio display had disapeared, the internal indicator (turn signal) notification (green flashing arrow and clicker) had stopped working, although the indicators externaly were working, and the light left on buzzer did not work.

I hunted around and found fuse 47 in the trunk was blown (on the fuse chart this is classed as additional heater and indipendent heater and is a 20 amp fuse.) I replaced this and all seemed well but then i noticed that all the controls on the drivers door had stopped working. Window controls and mirror controls. The windows work fine from their individual doors. Also when i lock the car using either the button in the centre console or the key fob all doors lock except the drivers door. I am unable to lock the drivers door by inserting the key as it just turns and does not lock. If i push the button on the door down it locks and i can unlock it by pulling the handle on the door inside the car.

When i initially noticed this the initial problems due to the fuse had been resolved but soon after they came back and i checked the same fuse (47) which had blown again.

Now when i try to replace the fuse it blows instantly.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Jon
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Do you have the Webasto heater?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM

I am not 100% sure. I got the car second hand and did not really know what that was until today.

Is a 2000 model 530d se and have see it written that it was standard on this model. Also i have the rest button.

I think it does.

Do you know how i can disconnect this so i can try changing the fuse and see if this sorts it?

Must be something that is live when the ignition is off that is causing it as fuse blows straight away not when i put ignition on.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Give this a try:
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...hp?f=5&t=85978
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the pointer.

I have disconnected the power to the aux heater and changed the fuse again and it did not blow.

Now the indicators and clock etc all work again.

I still have the issue with the controls on the drivers side door not working and being unable to lock that door.

I have seen somewhere that this could be a fault with the general module? Does this control these functions?

Thanks